DNR limit on number of rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNR limit on number of rods

Over the last few days, the most controversial news on several other local fishing sites is a change to DNR regulations regarding the number of lines that can be deployed at one time. Historically, freshwater anglers were limited to three lines, but tidal water anglers were not restricted. DNR revised its rules for tidal water anglers such that no more than three lines can be used at one time. It primarily affects those power boats that troll large numbers of lines. Realistically for kayak anglers, this also relates to trolling. I often troll 4 lines at a time. However, under the new DNR rules, I am limited to three lines. As far as I can tell, there is no limit to the number of rods you can carry on your vessel -- but you cannot be using more than three at one time.

The Maryland fishing community is up in arms for several reasons: a) nobody likes having an existing privilege taken from them, b) DNR did not do an adequate job of public notice and notification as they adopted these rules -- they pretty much showed up unannounced.

It is not my intent to debate whether the new rules are right or wrong. The purpose of this post is to make the Snaggedline community aware of the changed rules so we can stay on the right side of the regulations.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

thanks for the heads up John.
    Last edited by MetroMan; 01-18-2014, 08:18 AM.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I guess I don't need to install those extra rod holders after all.
      ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

It is interesting to read on Tidalfish how all of the "law and order" types are suddenly calling for civil disobedience bordering on downright anarchy.
        Apparently this regulation flew in under the radar.
        As I read the 2014 regulation book, the only time I saw a 3 rod limit in saltwater was for C&R rockfish season on the Bay from March 1 to April 18. That permits a 6 rod maximum regardless the number of anglers on the boat.

But I support this rule.

As a mate on a charter boat that traditionally only runs a 6 rod trolling spread, I hate being out on the Bay with the "Aquatic Porcupines" running 30-50 rod spreads on 100 foot planer boards. Who needs a 200 foot wide path? Opening day is a total cluster ****!
        Do they catch any more fish than we do? I doubt it. Gotta give the fish a chance, too.
        I guess the tackle dealers dislike this reg because it means that they sell less equipment.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be trolling three lines instead of four this year.

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Just to clarify John's post at the start of this thread... the regulation is 3 rods per person, not per boat. I'm pointing out this technicality so folks on this board who are very new to kayaking and fishing don't tell their big boat friends that there is a 3 rod limit per boat.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
              Just to clarify John's post at the start of this thread... the regulation is 3 rods per person, not per boat. I'm pointing out this technicality so folks on this board who are very new to kayaking and fishing don't tell their big boat friends that there is a 3 rod limit per boat.
              My initial post was edited because of this. I initially posted sentiments for my charter boat friends. But yeah, with 6ppl they can still run 18 rods. It mainly impacts the loner guys who enjoy doing it solo.
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Yeah,
                It's one of the reasons that I stopped posting on TF.
                Too many posters with political agendas, personal grudges and just plain bull****.
                If you disagreed with some, the trolls came out and the name calling started, then the threats.
                And one of the reasons that I really like this site. Most folks here are remarkably civil.

Comment

Coming from Oregon, a one rod per person state, I am OK with the rule...as for DNR's communication? Also not a big deal to me.
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks Howard. You are correct, and that is an important distinction.

There is so much uproar among the fishing community that sells and uses heavy trolling gear that this issue is likely to receive some legislative or regulatory attention in the near future. So stay tuned. For now, limit yourself to three lines per person and you will be in compliance.

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl330 View Post
                      I guess I don't need to install those extra rod holders after all.
                      Yeah...it would have been nice to know this a couple weeks ago before I did just that!
                      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

This does not impact me one bit.
                        The only problem I have with DNR is that they do not enforce the rules they have on paper.

Comment

That's pretty big news indeed. Hope it helps.

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                          This does not impact me one bit.
                          The only problem I have with DNR is that they do not enforce the rules they have on paper.
                          I think they try. It's just not always practical or possible. This one should be relatively easy to enforce, since it'll be easy to spot cheaters from far, without boarding. Guys will start bringing inflatable dolls on their boats to pretend they have more bodies on board... like in HOV lanes.
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chex View Post
                            That's pretty big news indeed. Hope it helps...
                            Hmmmmm.... I wonder if Chex could convince them (DNR) "Mojo" qualifies for three more rods in the water...
                            I don't think anyone would ever say he's not part of the "family."

Comment

Guys will start bringing inflatable dolls on their boats to pretend they have more bodies on board... like in HOV lanes.[/QUOTE]

No don't do it Rick!

I have no problem with this, better for surf and pier fisherman

Comment

Working...
                              X