PFD Dillema!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFD Dillema!

So it's time to buy a PFD I will actually wear. I will admit to never wearing it when I fished from my canoe. I'm a strong swimmer, and I never owned one that was comfortable enough to wear all the time. Except when I guided whitewater, I had a nice extrasport. So I'm looking at the Stohlquist Fisherman, it seems nice, but I wonder if I should go more minimalist. I have plenty of tackle storage on my kayak. But I do like the way the pockets fold open into little work stations. Any recommendations? What brand and model do you prefer?
    Martin

2013 Jackson Kayak Big Tuna

If you paddle instead of pedal those nifty tackle tray pockets are in the way. I chose that for my first vest and quickly bought another vest without pockets. Now I have an auto inflatable and wear it full time. So far I haven't had a problem with heavy rain or spray.

Comment

I have an Extrasport too. Always liked it. In tha summmer when it's hot I use the inflatables
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I've found that with the Jackson's high seat back, the design of the back of the PFD is just as important as the design of the front. I use the Kokatat Bahia Tour. The back flotation for that PFD is situated high on the back and is very comfortable for me sitting in the Jackson seat. It also has front pockets, which allows me to hold things that I want to be in the same place everytime I go on the water as well as a pocket that is designed to hold a VHF handheld radio. The PFD is a little bulky, but it does not interfere with my paddling, even when carrying my VHF handheld radio. I've never used an inflatable PFD, and I'm sure that with its smaller size, it is probably quite a bit cooler in the summer. Nevertheless, my Kokatat is comfortable, so I've never had the urge to purchase an inflatable.
        Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

It pays to try on a pfd before buying it. You may find that a particular pfd fits you well or is immediately uncomfortable. I made the mistake of ordering a new one a while back without trying it on first. Within seconds of putting it on, I realized it was not a good fit for me. I ended up mailing it back and had to pay postage in both directions. Don't buy a particular model based solely on someone else's recommendation -- you need to be satisifed with the pfd and hopefully will wear it all the time when on the water.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            It pays to try on a pfd before buying it.
            Totally agree. The Kokatat works well for me, but it may not work for you. In addition to trying on a PFD, you may also consider taking your kayak's seat with you to the store so you can see how the PFD fits while in the seated position.
            Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

I've been wearing an inflatable pfd for years with no problems. Very comfortable in any weather.

Comment

I started with a cheap traditional pfd from bass pro...it cost like $30. It worked, but wasn't the most comfortable fit. Bulky floatation materials inside, cheap materials on the outside. I upgraded to an inflatable. It was very comfy as others have already suggested. I recently switched back to a traditional pfd (a higher quality Stohlquist pfd). I found the convenience of the pockets to outweigh the benefits of the inflatable.

Definitely try a few on...
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I have a stohlquist and don't get in the yak without it on. Not sure what model it is. It is a little bulky, but I learned to paddle with it on so it has never really bothered me.
                  LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                    Now I have an auto inflatable and wear it full time. So far I haven't had a problem with heavy rain or spray.
                    But...you do know it works!

Comment

I have an older green Stohlquist with the bulgy pockets and have no issue when I float the UP on my 13' OH or when I peddle my Hobie 14' PA.

Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by Kiko View Post
                        But...you do know it works!
                        by following the directions and checking the CO2 cartridge before the season starts they are good to go. they also can be blown up via a manual tube.

Comment

They're nothing fancy, but the wife and I have been pretty happy with these. Nice high back, and low enough around the arms you don't lose any range of motion when paddling. We originally bought some generic ones sorta like this, but they were way too constricting.

Comment

Like others have said, definitely try them on if possible. I went to several places and tried on a quite a few before deciding on the NRS Chinook. It's very comfortable and I like all the pockets. It has 8 points of adjustment so it's easy to get it to fit just right to where it's not riding up or sliding around. I've never felt like I got too hot in the summer and the straps are long enough to put on 3 to 4 layers on when it gets cold.
                            http://www.nrs.com/product/21501/nrs...ck-fishing-pfd
                            Last edited by bgriff; 02-27-2014, 06:15 AM.
                            BRETT
                            Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Kokotat seao2
                              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
                              X