Dos and Don'ts of saltwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dos and Don'ts of saltwater

Still being a noob, I plan on getting a good set of yak legs under me in freshwater, i.e. ponds and lakes, then moving up to places like Mattawoman and Port Tobacco. BUT, I would ultimately like to get out and chase some salty fishes. Any good pointers on the dos and don'ts of eventually venturing out there?
    Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Check and double check the weather.
    Bring and drink plenty of water.
    Always wear your PFD (don't just bring it and leave it in the hatch).
    I don't personally have one myself, but many people have marine radios as well.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

A few things to always do in any body of water; large or small, fresh water or salt:

1) ALWAYS wear your p.f.d.
      2) ALWAYS comply with other regs such as having a 360 degree light/flag if you're up before or out after the sun rises or sets, and having a loud whistle around your neck to alert other boats headed towards you.
      3) ALWAYS plan for the worst thing that could happen, and PRACTICE what you would do in that event such as capsizing and recovery drills
      4) If you have a sit inside yak like I do, DO NOT to hit places like the Bay Bridge pilings, or even Kent Narrows bridges because of high wakes and/or currents. Sit inside yaks are not self-bailing, and getting dumped by the rock piles near the bridge spans pretty much guarantees that you'll lose all or most of your gear, ruin an otherwise good day, and need a tow back to the launch site.
      5) COLD WATER IS FATAL. This time of year, this item should be number 1. See separate thread with that caption.
      6) ALWAYS check the latest MARINE forecasts, with your emphasis on WIND DIRECTION AND SPEED just prior to launch.
      7) While on the water, ALWAYS be observant of everything around you; WIND, WAVES, BOATS, WAKES, ROCKS, OBSTRUCTIONS, ETC.
      8) ALWAYS have an escape plan if you're out on a big body of water. In other words, if am out on say the Choptank near the Rt. 50 bridge, I'll stay close to little coves or creeks to duck into in case of an unexpected storm or a summer squall comes up quickly. I look for a boathouse where I can get under, or a pier with plenty of room to get underneath in case of lightning. You do not want to be out in big water when a storm hits.

Other than the obvious differences of dealing with larger bodies of water such as larger waves, more boat traffic from all directions, and higher winds, the main difference between fresh water and salt water is knowing how currents and tides affect you. For example, I've been wanting to try the Nanticoke River around Rt. 50 and Vienna on the shore. The currents there are very strong, so in planning my trip, I would try to straddle the tide change about two hours on either side of it. That way, I would have a much easier paddle downstream, and then upstream back to the launch site; or vice-versa.

Tidal currents also affect wave patterns and create much more chop if the wind direction is going against an incoming or outgoing tide. So, if you're paddling back to Quiet Waters Park (or a closer launch site) from Thomas Point, with a strong northwest wind with the tide coming in, you are in for a very choppy and rough paddle back.

The tide charts are also at the top of the Main forum under the weather and other helpful links post. Good luck!
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 04-15-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

If take some sunscreen. If you don't like to use sunscreen, the new SnaggeLine long sleeve shirts are SPF 40. Sun protection, keeps you cool, and dries easily. Some type of snack that has plenty of energy, and maybe a small Gatorade or powerade. I usually take a 1 liter of water and a small powerade to replenish electrolytes that water can't. Dehydration is summers hypothermia.

Comment

All really good info, thanks!
          Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

I always leash my rods and secure my gear in case I flip. A leash is inexpensive ( I actually have a long thin dog leash that has saved my rod ). If its not in my hand its on a leash.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn L View Post
              If its not in my hand its on a leash.
              That would make a great tshirt.

Fishinfool - great list. I would add to that to always carry a safety knife or two. I like to keep one in the boat to use and one firmly attached to my PFD. If I were hitting bigger water I'd attach my VHF to my PFD as well. It usually lives in my dry bag but that wouldn't do me much good if I got separated from my kayak. I also have a small strobe on the same landyard as my whistle (also attached to my PFD). For fishing the bay, Dogfish has convinced me that I should carry an airhorn. Flares would be a good idea, too.
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I would also add to tell someone where you will be at and when you are expecting to be home. Even though my wife barely knows the bay, I'll always show her on Google maps the area I indend to fish. If something goes wrong at least they will have a general idea where to start looking.

A slightly more expensive option is to invest in a SPOT. It will work in the most remote areas of the bay. A lot of times, especially on the ES of MD and VA, getting a text or phone call out is near impossible. I believe the spot allows you to preprogram SMS messages and send them by pushing a button. And there is always the "oh sh*t" button if you get in real trouble and need the Coast Guard.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                  I would also add to tell someone where you will be at and when you are expecting to be home. Even though my wife barely knows the bay, I'll always show her on Google maps the area I indend to fish. If something goes wrong at least they will have a general idea where to start looking.

A slightly more expensive option is to invest in a SPOT. It will work in the most remote areas of the bay. A lot of times, especially on the ES of MD and VA, getting a text or phone call out is near impossible. I believe the spot allows you to preprogram SMS messages and send them by pushing a button. And there is always the "oh sh*t" button if you get in real trouble and need the Coast Guard.
                  What about float plans? Does anyone on here do them for bay/ocean kayaking? If so, what do you use?
                  Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Originally posted by whiskerfish View Post
                    What about float plans? Does anyone on here do them for bay/ocean kayaking? If so, what do you use?
                    RavensDfense +1
                    I just point out the location on a map for the little lady and then call her a few times during the day.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

There are several available on the internet, but realistically sticking to it is hard. That is why I stick with letting someone the my launch point, the general area I'll be fishing, and the time I intend to return. I never know where I'll exactly end up within that area.

Also, IDK if these were mentioned, but fish with a friend if you are in larger water. A first aid kit comes in handy when you put a hook through your hand, cut yourself with a bait knife, or step on an oyster bed. I keep one inside a dry bag in my hull. I am guilty of being in stupid/dangerious places without many of these things others mentioned and it's better to be prepared than not.

In an nutt shell, be prepared, know what you are capable of, and don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

if taking a long trip i put some flushable wetwipes for when nature calls way out in nature.

good for getting bait off your hands before lunch too
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Try not to go alone ........ tooo many simple things can get serious fast that wouldn't be if someone else is there

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                            Try not to go alone ........ tooo many simple things can get serious fast that wouldn't be if someone else is there
                            It will be a long time before I venture into open water without a buddy...
                            Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Know your limitations with your gear and yourself. Know what is needed to stay safe in common situations. A lot of situations you will encounter will teach you what and what not to do on the water(remember this is a learning experience). All though all of this is great info some of it is plug and play for example while setting up on a spot you will instinctively look around you as you approach your fishing spot and also when you arrive. Once you arrive and are drifting always look up and around your boat if drifting every few minutes. your sense of awareness should increase as you fish. You will learn what places you can and cannot fish comfortably given changing situations to your confidence levels at the time. Realize that it is always ok to be a little uncomfortable while kayaking that can keep you safe in certain situations.

Comment

Working...
                              X