No announcement yet.

Dos and Don'ts of saltwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also add just get a feel for your boat when I first got my yak I took it to a nice beach and got a feel for it check how far I could lean over before it tipped sat on the side move around and practiced getting back in it
    D Hawk
    Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
    Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Don't stargaze in your kayak or take a break someplace in Anne Arundle County.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
        Don't stargaze in your kayak or take a break someplace in Anne Arundle County.

I suggest keeping your cell phone in a waterproof container attached to your PFD even if you have a Marine radio. In Maryland, we have numerous police departments with marine capabilities who may be reached faster than the Coast Guard.

I agree with many of the previous comments. I keep two knives handy; one is on my right front seat strap and the other firmly attached to my pfd. I also keep Skyblazer flares inside my pfd pocket. My paddle is always leashed and my rods are always leashed, even in my hands. You can see why you may need a knife to cut free if you get tangled in the event you go turtle.

One last thing, get in shape before going for a long paddle or you may over exert yourself and become a statistic.

Regards,

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Definitely will keep a couple knifes handy. Just got a MTI Solaris pfd. It has pretty good reviews and was the most comfortable for me out of the ones I tried on.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
          Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Do not keep your fish on a stringer over the side of your kayak, then you are a big Bobber waiting for a shark to come by. Get some kind of cooler

What's for lunch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNQxAbCipM
            Last edited by plastic boat; 04-16-2014, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X