No announcement yet.

Mattawoman Saturday the 10th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im gonna re-evaluate when the weather and news come on at 10. I figured the DC stations should have better reports than Bmore. .. I will further see whats goin on in the morning. If its raining when I get up at 0500 I'll check the radar and go from there. So far I've only heard scattered showers and thunder storms in the afternoon. As to vudism's query, no I dont fish in severe conditions but as john from CBKA will attest, I have no problem fishing in the rain. He and I drowned a few baits as well as practically ourselves during the TKAA tourney two yrs ago... when I hear thunder or see lightning my feet are on the ground or in a bldg. I will post in the morning if im a go or no go about 0515.
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Weather permitting I will be launching from slavins around 7-730

Comment

Gonna bail on today. Weather report doesn't look good for kayaks to be on water. If u go be safe. But I'm out. Sorry
        Tom Brown
        2012 Hobie PA 14'
        Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

Don't blame you.
          I'm still pondering, but I'm not psyched, so that means I'll probably bail too.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Did anyone go??? I hope I don't regret no doing mattawoman today... I went after some stocked trout and did terrible there... im definitely doing tuesday somewhere on the yak... maybe slavins or the bay... Anyone open. Weather is supposed to be awesome.
            Tom Brown
            2012 Hobie PA 14'
            Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

I went. Weather was good. I only stayed until 1030 or so. I didn't get any snakeheads but landed a few largemouth. All in all was a good morning out there.

Comment

I was afraid of that. Glad u had some success anyway. Sorry I didnt go...wish I had but the radar looked like crap thismorning at 0500. Im goin somewhere tuesday for sure... maybe there or the bay bridge
                Tom Brown
                2012 Hobie PA 14'
                Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

It was definitely a slow bite. I was on the water by 9. Spotted a couple snakehead in the spatterdock and got a hit but it never panned out.

Nothing else happened until the tide turned and began to come in. Landed a 12 & 11inch LMB by the stumps way upstream. And a 14 inch striper trolling my way back downstream.

Sent from my PalmPilot

Comment

I was out. I think I ran into Buzz along the way. It was slow. I started at 7AM. Tried a frog fist thing in the spatterdock. There were snakeheads smashing things throughout those pad fields. They didn't want to smash my things however. I next tried shoreline wood. used a fluke, a jig, and a big worm, and a spinnerbait. No bites. Most of the Spatterdock was in about 2.5 FOW and the shoreline wood was about 1.5 FOW.

As the tide fell, I last tried some spatterdock along the edge of the main channel I sat in the main channel and casted at the bank. I could reach to within about 5' from the bank. I tried a white spinnerbait. I did manage a solid blowup when waking the spinnerbait. That turned out to be my only strike and I missed it. I didn't see anyone really catching anything.

I talked to a guy and his son. They had a boat rigged with about 8 rods and were catfishing. They said they had a good many in their cooler.

While paddling through the spatterdock, I spooked two snakeheads that must have been huge . The boils in the water they made when my bow touched them were scary big.

I need to learn the tactics for this place. I just didn;t get on fish. I saw virtually no returns on my fish finder. There were only a could spots where I saw what must have been small baitfish, or perch. No solid arch's anywhere I went granted the deepest water I encountered was 10'

I pulled out about 11:30 just past dead low tide.
                    Hurricane Skimmer 128
                    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I was there Saturday afternoon, launched at 5:30. Temperature was a perfect 73 but was a little bit windy at times. Water was pretty muddy and very low visibility. Picked up 2 bass, an 18 incher and a 15 incher. Didn't see any snakeheads. When I got back at around 8pm, I saw 3 boats shooting snakeheads. I'm sure they are doing serious damage to the snakehead population there.

The bigger fish:
                      IMG_20140510_175652.jpg

Comment

snakeHEAD

Nice catch huizhao85.

Did anyone else notice this on Saturday?

IMG_1048.jpg

Looks like a snakehead... head...
                        About 9 inches long and 7 inches wide. Had to have been a HUGE fish.
                        At first I thought it was a rock. Saw it as I was unloading and it was still there when I packed up.

Comment

Working...
                        X