Good old glitter boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good old glitter boys

Just a reminder to everyone to watch out for the Jackasses that fly around like they own the water. I was out at Mariner Point yesterday and a bass boat was full throttle coming through the canal. I saw another kayaker near a corner as I heard him approaching, never once lowered the throttle. A couple hundred yards after he passed the other yaker he for some reason steered straight toward me, and I wasnt even in the channel. Not a fun experience. I wish I had thought to look for something identifying to report to the DNR office they have on site.

We can do everything possible for visibility and safety if we fall in the water. None of that means a damn thing if the guy coming at you isn't paying attention. So keep your eyes open and be ready for a mad rush to cover if possible.
    Last edited by mweber02; 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM.
    Mike

I've had the same issue and thought seriously about a wrist rocket and extra sinkers.

Comment

A quick video with the gopro or your phone works well as evidence too.
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I hear ya guys...had a similar experience last weekend myself. Grabbed the airhorn and got ready for a blast.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I've seen those boys wearing motorcycle helmets and what looked like paintball masks while flying by on the flats

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Comment

I heard those boats try to get on plane trying to get in and out of the quarry, not sure if it's true. I get a laugh every time I see the hockey masks on the flats. The glitter must go to their heads, or maybe it's the chrome wheels on their trailers. Some are very respectful and slow down near me, others think they are auditioning for the next bass series.

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
            Just a reminder to everyone to watch out for the Jackasses that fly around like they own the water. I was out at Mariner Point yesterday and a bass boat was full throttle coming through the canal. I saw another kayaker near a corner as I heard him approaching, never once lowered the throttle. A couple hundred yards after he passed the other yaker he for some reason steered straight toward me, and I wasnt even in the channel. Not a fun experience. I wish I had thought to look for something identifying to report to the DNR office they have on site.

We can do everything possible for visibility and safety if we fall in the water. None of that means a damn thing if the guy coming at you isn't paying attention. So keep your eyes open and be ready for a mad rush to cover if possible.
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Before the mini ice age we had I was on the Susquehanna ( Duncannon area ) around bird hunting season. We'll these guys on a mission heading for there LP/OP were making there way up stream full throttle. I did not really have time to react because they came around the bend hauling the mail. I just road the wake. If u are reading this thread and saw me in my camo yak riding your wake like a champ, I know you were thinking that's awesome I'm gonna start yak fishin. I got a message for you and that is @$&? $$$)&$@? €Â£>£><>£¥#%}% You. Lol

Comment

Those guys do run on plane to get to the quarry, i dont mainly because your doing like 30mph around a blind turn with no where to run if someone comes at you with there boat. Ill do 6mph max. When your doing anywhere from 50-70mph on the water your gonna want a helmet of some sort to help deflect the wind off your face. Not to mention 50 degree weather doin 50 is cold enough to give you brain freeze. Most guys dont think twice about passing kayakers. I think its because they dont realize how bad of a wake they leave behind. I always try to pass a yaker with little wake as possible. But thats because i know what its like to deal with the sloshing roller from a bigger boat. I will say most bass fishermen arent very friendly on the water. Its kind of annoying how competitive they can be when everyone is out to have a good time. FYI alot of old guys own bass boats and alot of old guys cant see half of what there doing to begin with. Which could be why he steered directly at you.
                Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I've heard some guys fly through there but I personally havent had it happen to me yet. Had one guy come by and was going a little faster and it put out a pretty good wake. I was fine with the stability of the outback but my GF in her pompano barely had enough time to turn into the wave. If it would have hit her sideways she probably would have went over.

Probably would have been less of a wave if they would have been on plane instead of pushing water with the stern deeper.

Now for the bigger question...............
                  How did you do fishing??? figure its a tough bite right now. Heard the LMB's were spawning and on the beds right now.

The crappie were thick in there a couple weeks ago and thought about going after some slabs.
                  Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 05-22-2014, 01:45 AM. Reason: cant spell for chit
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                    I've heard some guys fly through there but I personally havent had it happen to me yet. Had one guy come by and was going a little faster and it put out a pretty good wake. I was fine with the stability of the outback but my GF in her pompano barely had enough time to turn into the wave. If it would have hit her sideways she probably would have went over.

Probably would have been less of a wave if they would have been on plane instead of pushing water with the stern deeper.

Now for the bigger question...............
                    How did you do fishing??? figure its a tough bite right now. Heard the LMB's were spawning and on the beds right now.

The crappie were thick in there a couple weeks ago and thought about going after some slabs.
                    Got 2 on the last trip. One was off a specific fallen tree that I hook up on every time (the one on the reed side not too far from where everything opens up. That is the only spot I ever even bother to fish on that side of the canal). The other that I caught and most of the other bites I missed came off the edges of the newly emerging reeds. From time to time I got too close to those reed beds and spooked some fish out. They are definitely getting super shallow now.
                    Mike

Comment

Yeah some dumb a$$ boaters don't care how close the come to you or even thing about their wake which they are responsible for. I am always looking and listening for a boat or large wake which can be heard coming from a good distance.

1 of the worst places is the broadkill river north of RI in DE above the no wake zone. The boats coming from the marina have no regard for anything and with a wake from a 35'er its no joke if your too close to the bank the wake will put you up on the bank.

Comment

When Raptor and I were in Oyster, VA earlier this year, we were pedaling/paddling along close enough to each other to be casually talking and a motor boat ripped right between us with no let-up in speed. That created a few exciting roller coaster-like experiences in the wakes that followed the boat.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ive got Gopro video of a charter boat captain having his clients "cast me off a piling" I have also personally witness grilled cut fishing line off a bridge caster that took aim at him last year.
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                            Ive got Gopro video of a charter boat captain having his clients "cast me off a piling" I have also personally witness grilled cut fishing line off a bridge caster that took aim at him last year.
                            If he'd hooked the yak (accidentally, intentionally, or assisted ) I bet you could have spooled him and ended his day of lead launching...
                            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                              i bet you could have spooled him...
                              lmfao
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...