No announcement yet.

July 2014 Meet & Greet at Lowes Wharf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been trying to get to a M&G, I think I can make this one, count me in for fishing and lunch.
    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Count me in. What should we bring along for tackle/bait?
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Last year when I fished there, I used different size red jig heads from 1/8 , 1/4 and 1/2 ounce weights. These jig heads were tipped with white curly tail Gulp. Jigging the shorelines with this landed me croakers, redfish, perch and rockfish. Trolling with them in the shallows landed me schoolie stripers and perch, and short trout when they are in. You can also use the traditional top and bottom rigs to bottom fish. I use a number 4 to number 1 hooks. The weight that you use on the bottom rig would depend on your depth and the current. I typically use 1/2 ounce, 1 ounce and 2 ounce for the most part. You would tip your hooks with bloodworms, fishbites (bloodworm flavor), or raw shrimp. For trolling the deeper channels towards the northern side of Poplar to get bigger rockfish, I would use white or chartreuse 4 to 6 inch curly tails on 3/8, or 3/4, or 1 ounce jig heads. Finally, small jigheads with Gulp or other plastics on a spinner arm can work well in the shallows. If the fish are in, I cannot see any reason why everyone cannot catch some sort of fish.

Comment

Thanks Moc! It appears I've got everything I need already.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I will try to be there for the fishing.
            No--- on the lunch since I am not 100 % sure I can make it.

Comment

Well, I decided to do a little pre fishing in advance of the July Meet and Greet to see what is biting at Lowes Wharf. It has been a year since I have been there. I would normally post this report in the Boat Yard, but decided to keep it in the Meet and Greet thread for everyone who wants to go. It was windy in the morning so I did not launch until 1pm. The winds had died down. Unfortunately, Hurricane Arthur stirred up the water and blew some water out of the bay, which made for some shallow water. I saw that the water was stained and in those areas I caught no fish. I went out to deeper water and over to Poplar Island and the water was cleaner. All in all, I caught two rockfish... a 14 inch and a 17 inch. One trolling the shorelines and one jigging around Jefferson Island by Poplar. I also caught a dozen jumbo spots and left them biting. I saw all of the charter boats live lining and I saw them bottom fishing for what looked like spots. While fishing in deeper water a saw a large fish that I could not identify. It looked like a large 24 inch shad or a trout. It was swimming on the surface just beneath the water and then it dived as my kayak went back. I did see a lot of wildlife there. I saw water turtles, several different species of birds, including a bald eagle and I saw a swimming horse shoe crab. I got back to the ramp as the sun was about to set. The venue for the Meet and Greet lunch was hopping with music and food. I am sure that the serving staff were busy. One of the boaters told me that they were catching blues out front and croakers. I did not see that action today, but the fishing pattern should return in a few days as the water recovers from the storm.
              Attached Files

Comment

Moc - Great report and bloodworms/fish bites do the trick for you? Will stop at Angler's for some bloodworms on the way there. Also please update as I may have a friend coming along as well for both fishing and lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                  Moc - Great report and bloodworms/fish bites do the trick for you? Will stop at Angler's for some bloodworms on the way there. Also please update as I may have a friend coming along as well for both fishing and lunch.
                  I am sure as Coop1486 reads this thread that he will add you to the list. For bottom fishing bait, I used Fish Bite Bloodworm flavor. I am sure that the real thing will work just as good, if not better. In the past I have caught croakers with pieces of fresh shrimp. I bottom fished with the best action coming between 8 and 14 feet of water.

Comment

Moc, was it grassy or weedy out there?
                    PigPen - Mt Airy
                    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

There not much or grass or weeds out there.But there a lot of grassy shoreline on both the north and south side of Lowes Wharf.Iam hoping the fish are back biting after this storm has past.
                      2012 hobie outback
                      2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

coop count kevinfry in....and i'll be doing lunch too

kf
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I am a maybe for both the fishing and lunch. I'll be the one avoiding the poison ivy within a one mile radius!
                          Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

[QUOTE=zeebyrd;89419]I am a maybe for both the fishing and lunch. I'll be the one avoiding the poison ivy within a one mile

Haven't seen any poison ivy there.Just stop digging.
                            2012 hobie outback
                            2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

[QUOTE=coop1486;89440]
                              Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
                              I am a maybe for both the fishing and lunch. I'll be the one avoiding the poison ivy within a one mile p

Haven't seen any poison ivy there.Just stop digging.
                              I am just voiding my new found enemy in general. Just a bad joke on my part
                              Last edited by zeebyrd; 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM.
                              Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                              Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

[QUOTE=zeebyrd;89442]
                                Originally posted by coop1486 View Post

I am jut avoiding my new found enemy in general. Just a bad joke on my part
                                Everything is cool ...I had to make a joke of it myself.
                                2012 hobie outback
                                2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Working...
                                X