No announcement yet.

Exciting time today out of Jonas Green! First Turtle of the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, I always carry a paddle float but it is the foam slip on type. It takes a couple of seconds to slip it on the paddle rather than all the work needed on the blow up type.

It sounds like a nice time to bring up having another self rescue practice off of Jonas Green. I will make a new post for sometime in July and see how much interest there is.

Regards,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks for sharing this story. Last Sunday I was fishing and was thinking about taking off my PFD just because I felt confident that nothing was going to happen. However, smart think kept me from doing so. After hearing your story I definitely will keep it on no matter what. Glad you are ok.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, glad you made out ok

Sent from the water.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

PigPen, today I had a chance to wash and dry all my gear. The fishfinder is working A-Ok. However, It may have been saved by the fact that there was no electricity to the unit. It had a blown fuse. However I did get to test the waterproof factor. It was submerged no less than 15 minutes while I tried to right the capsized boat and waited for assistance. Amazing.

I was also able to get my phone replaced today via the insurance plan.

Total losses: 2 rod and real combos and just a little pride. 😄

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
          Don Haller
          Chesapeake Beach, MD
          Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
          – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Glad you are OK! That is a lesson learned for everyone and your recount of the events is Great no matter what was lost the information gained was priceless. put me down for a drill also!

eyedaddy

Comment

Dang it Don!

Comment

Mums the word Jay! What happens on the Severn stays on the Severn!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
                Don Haller
                Chesapeake Beach, MD
                Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for sharing Don. It's great everything worked out! In addition to the need Don demonstrated for the whistle... DNR Police can check you for a whistle if you get stopped on the water.
                  2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                  Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Been there and done that. Got a warning and a free whistle for the however many minutes it took to write me up.
                    PigPen - Mt Airy
                    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I only fish "big water" a few times a year, but I definitely will be adding a whistle to my pfd! Thanks for the story.
                      Green Old Town Loon 111
                      Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

If anyone wants to join, I am going fishing off Chesapeake Beach Sat morning and I can show you self rescue. The water is rough but shallow for a ways out, so it's a good place to practice. I've had a show a couple friends how to do it so far. One of them was in his 60's, so if he can do it, you can do it. The paddle leash pull over is useful when you can't reach the other side. I've always found the paddle float to be more work than it's worth with a sit-on-top. Invaluable for a sit-inside though.

I post the details here: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...sapeake-Beach)

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                          One of them was in his 60's, so if he can do it, you can do it.[/URL]
                          Was I just insulted?

I'll be 60 in a few weeks. It's good to know I have some quality time left!

Just kidding, Frogsauce. You're offering a good service.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hey, you're as young as you feel! My Dad is in his 60's but refuses to be in his 60's.

Comment

I am into my sixties with arthritis and find the paddle float very helpful thank you.

John
                              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

If the paddle float works for you, then by all means, do what your comfortable doing. Try both methods, see which way you like best. Everybody's different.

Comment

Working...
                                X