Talkin' Trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Biggrizzly View Post
    That looks like an ok trailer but for an extra $150 or so you can have a nice galvanized trailer that is more robust and already has the tags and taxes done for you before you leave the trailer store. I already tried getting an old $100 trailer titled and they are really clamping down on untitled trailers too. I decide to just let Dave's handle all the paperwork and let me drive away. You will need to take the bill of Sale for the trailer from Harbor Freight and get it titled and tagged at the DMV. Its a new trailer so it won't be as hard as if it were an old used one with no title, but still extra work.
    I'm a bit reluctant Don... Glen Burnie is a long drive for me and when I looked at his website I didn't see anything that would be $600 out-the-door. I can get the HF for $350, delivered.... but I'll give Dave a call. If I get can get a galvanized trailer with highway wheels and tags for $600, its worth it.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Go with a bost trailer if you can ........ it will be a lot less headaches ......... especially if you use it in the salt

Comment

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...552790396.html

This would be a good 1 ......... in fact thst is a great 1 ......... even better than mine ant it Will handle 2 yaks plus storage

Comment

When I was looking for a trailer I started looking at the utility trailers but even the new ones I looked out already had rust on them and repainting a trailer every couple years is not something I wanted to deal with. Then started looking for jet ski trailers and the singles I thought were to small. I wound up finding a galvanized Karavan snow mobile trailer at Daves trailers. Its galvanized with a marine plywood deck and has torsion axles (so no rusty leaf springs) and 12 inch tires and it has a tilt bed. These normally sell for over $1000 but Daves had them for $500. He had one other left when I got mine but not sure if its still available. They look like a utility trailer without the back gate and I can still use it to haul things when needed. I added a truck rack to it that I got off ebay for $79. I used 3" pvc tubing for bunks for my Pro Angler and I could fit 4 more yaks on the truck rack and its still not very high to lift them. My pro angler rolls right up on the bunks with the wheels on, then pull the wheels off and slide it the rest of the way on. Works great. The bed is just over 4x8 and my 12 foot kayaks were perfect with it. You would probably need to extend the tongue on a 4x8 with anything longer though.

Daves does have a trailer for kayaks. I think they said it was about $700. I believe its the trailer they sell for jon boats and they add a rack setup on it instead of bunks. Might be a special order trailer though.

I told the guy at Daves I would take care of title and tags so I didn't even have to pay tax on the trailer. I wound up putting Maine trailer tags on mine. $99 for a 5 year tag. MD trailer fees have just gotten ridiculous.

Pic of the snowmobile trailer:

2013 PRO ANGLER 12
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

If Interested heres a couple pics

2013 PRO ANGLER 12
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I have a flatbed trailer that I built specifically to pull a 16' canoe and 1-2 kayaks.

Its been newly rewired, repainted with new treated plywood deck. Superstructure is pressure treated and pulls very straight and smooth. Comes with a mounted spare.

Send me your email and I'll send you pics.

Comment

Buzz,
                Just a thought here, but if you have a truck, you could just get one of those hitch extenders. The tailgate is low enough that you could wheel the kayak right onto the bed with a little overhang, which is ok.

http://www.amazon.com/TMS-T-NS-HITCH...hitch+extender

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                  Buzz,
                  Just a thought here, but if you have a truck, you could just get one of those hitch extenders. The tailgate is low enough that you could wheel the kayak right onto the bed with a little overhang, which is ok.

http://www.amazon.com/TMS-T-NS-HITCH...hitch+extender
                  Here's another one that says it's for a boat. Look how far it sticks back! http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Bed-Exte...hitch+extender

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Yeah ........ Hitch extenders are better than trailers if you have a PU and 1 yak. Easier to load and unload ....... No storage .... No extra tolls ...... Stores in the truck bed when not in use. ....... Only need 1 parking space ....... No maintence or license fees etc etc etc .....?

Comment

That is a fine looking trailer CageRattler. You got a fantastic deal there.

Tyrone... PM sent.

Alas, I do not have a pickup truck. I have a Jeep Wrangler.
                      I suspend the boat above the softtop with a Warrior light bar up front and a Reese Canoe Loader (similar to a bed extender) in the rear.
                      Looks just like this.

DSC01699.jpg

Still haven't made up my mind. Probably because I don't have anyone selling galvanized boat trailers nearby... or I certainly would have picked one up over the weekend. I like the custom storage options available with a converted utility trailer, but I don't want to have to extend the tongue. On the other hand, I really like the ease of launch with a galvanized boat trailer (might get me out on the water quicker).
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                      X