No announcement yet.

Poison ivy on kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technu is a great product for washing the oils off of you, your boat, whatever. Available at most drug stores where they have poison ivy meds.
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. However, the good news is that you received the cortisone shot. That really helps it cure up more quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish I had some input, but I have been immune to that stuff my entire life.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
          I wish I had some input, but I have been immune to that stuff my entire life.
          I thought I was immune too. Either I was and my body changed over time,or I never came in contact with the oils. Its a real bear to deal with.

I found some jewel weed spray today, which has helped. Also found the much, much cheaper version of Zanfel, which is Mean Green Power Hand Scrub, which I ordered from Amazon.

From now on, if I see poison ivy, I will either find another way to launch my kayak, or turn around and go elsewhere, or even home for that matter. While that may sound drastic, the misery of this rash is just not worth risking it again.
          Laura (aka zeebyrd)
          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Feeling any better since the cortisone shot? Let us know if anything helps to stop the itch or how long the oils stick around. I got some on my hands last year from cutting down some brush and it was not a whole lot of fun. My wife blamed me for transferring the oils and getting it on her, and she insisted that we clean everything that I walked past.
            Stupid useless plant.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

I can vouch for Zanfel, it worked for me. It's really gritty and feels great to wash with it. It dried the rash out quickly. I'm curious to hear if the Mean Green scrub works, it would be nice to have something cheaper. When I was younger I used to get it really bad, here's some things that worked for me: 1. swimming in the ocean/drying in the sun. 2. as a last resort, swimming in a pool that has just been shocked with chlorine. I know you're not supposed to do it but when the itch won't go away you'll try anything. I smelled like chlorine for nearly a week, but the rash was gone within 48 hours!
              Mike
              Feelfree Lure 11.5
              Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

I get poison ivy by just looking at it. I've only had it once this year and it was in February. Must've brushed up against a vine on a tree when it wasn't bearing leaves. I keep a bottle of tecnu in the truck and whenever I think I mightve been exposed I rinse down with that stuff as soon as I can. I know its saved me many times but I still manage to get it 2-3 times a year. After the rash appears all there really is to do is suffer and if its real bad get prednisone.
                Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Update: Mean Green Scrub is awesome! I ordered it from Amazon on Sunday, received it on Monday. Was supposed to take two days, glad it got here quicker.

A lot of Mean a Green goes a long way. I used it on the heavily blistered areas. It helped dry them out and reduced them in size and amount. It did not break any blisters. Since it is somewhat abrasive, it's up to you to decide how much pressure to use when rubbing the Mean Green over the affected area.

After using it, the skin feels lighter and drier. The itching was gone right after using it. Yesterday when the itch returned, I would reapply and the itch left once again. I have only had to use it once so far today and it's almost 6 pm.

I have ordered more Mean Green to keep on hand in the event I ever encounter the evil three leafed plant again. It was only $5.95 for two ounces compared to $45.99 for one ounce of Zanfel at CVS.

Mean Green is awesome! Such relief!
                  Last edited by zeebyrd; 07-08-2014, 07:19 PM.
                  Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                  Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

An antihistamine like Benadryl will help to. My daughter got a case of poison ivy or poison oak (don't know which) when we were in Korea, Benadryl stopped the itching and got rid of the rid of the hives. She didn't get blisters, but the hives were big.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                    X