No announcement yet.

Testing Weather Alert on VHF radios... Standard Horizon 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear you got the HX 300 this is the one I have narrowed it down to get. Have been looking at a ton of them and reading reviews till I am cross eyed and think this one give the most bang for the buck.
    Thanks eyedaddy

Comment

Bang for the buck is the HX280, IMHO. It doesn't float though. I planted one in Tridelphia when it got knocked over the side. I bought another one, and now have a tether with a piece of pool noodle and a caribiner.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I like the idea of knobs on the HX280.... and wanted a unit that had knobs...
        sometimes having push buttons for controls is not as good for super quick adjustments.
        But I didn't find this to be a problem once I had bought the HX300 and started working with it.
        The squelch being the major issue for control with a knob... but the squelch control on the HX300
        seemed pretty solid when I used it on the water last weekend, and not finicky at all.

I definitely wanted a floater... what sold me was is the HX300 is a little smaller than the 280 and the 290s.
        As mentioned there is dedicated lanyard attachment.

There is a $20 rebate until the end of July.
        I got mine at West Marine, it's nice to buy electronics at a brick and mortar shop where you can touch and feel the items if you haven't any experience with the product.
        Thanks to Rob over at West Marine in Edgewater for taking the time to talk to me... they open at 9am... my local WM opens at 10am... which is 5minutes away. I got their last one.

@Mark
        It’s rare for example, that I hear charter captains..... The charter captains, especially, are tight-lipped bunch.....
        This isn't particularly directed at you because you have a lot of knowledge... but for others, there are a few other 'non-commercial' channels to monitor... and some channels that could probably be used in a covert fashion that I put into to my scan. But I don't need to be covert and certainly don't advocate doing anything not kosher, especially as a newbie. Although if I had three boats drop in on me at Piling #38... it would be funny to broadcast fish-on at Piling #72 .

@john from md
        ( that was just before the tomatoes picked up the house.....)
        wow dude... what kinda fertilizer are you using over there... I gotta get me some of that stuff....
        Maybe I miss read that... it's early and I don't have my readers on... :-)
        Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-16-2014, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X