Beware of This Infection From The Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
    Sounds crazy to me, but maybe its something to watch for. Only 35 people in the entire U.S. died from this in recent years. And the health department guy said 99.9% of people who will get in the water will be fine. Seems like they are trying to sensationalize the story a bit... This is where I stopped reading: "For most people, the bacteria usually causes only a mild skin infection or upset stomach, but in people over 60 and those with weakened immune systems or compromised liver function, the bacteria can advance rapidly, infecting and killing tissue"

It's your funeral buddy ......... Just will me your Yak

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
      Sounds crazy to me, but maybe its something to watch for. Only 35 people in the entire U.S. died from this in recent years. And the health department guy said 99.9% of people who will get in the water will be fine. Seems like they are trying to sensationalize the story a bit... This is where I stopped reading: "For most people, the bacteria usually causes only a mild skin infection or upset stomach, but in people over 60 and those with weakened immune systems or compromised liver function, the bacteria can advance rapidly, infecting and killing tissue"
      I tend to agree. Obviously take precautions and use common sense.
      Cuda 14
      Big tuna

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
        It's your funeral buddy ......... Just will me your Yak
        I can't stop laughing.
        Maria
        GO RAVENS!!!
        D10 Ascend
        http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

Originally posted by mibytes View Post
          I can't stop laughing.
          Sorry bro ........ vibrio is nothing to laugh at

Comment

It is very serious and yes it was Charlie Schneider, he was a Guest speaker at a MSSA meeting and spoke of the infection and how fast it spread! We all need to keep or add a First Aid kit to our Tackle Box no matter where we fish or hunt.

Comment

More cases reported <- click link
              <MIKE>
              Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
              Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Only 5 cases? By this time last year there were over 10. Pretty low numbers considering the thousands and thousands of people that swim in the bay. I guess that's good news! :P

Comment

One of the guys at the boat store where I work went paddleboarding with a small cut on his thumb and got it. Luckily he got treatment early, but still, it was a nasty infection. I have friends that carry hand sanitizer on their boat and won't handle fish without wearing gloves. Maybe it is time for me to take this more seriously.

It is not only the deaths, but the amputations to consider. Besides, I don't even want a serious infection.

Comment

Working...
                  X