No announcement yet.

Trolling from a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to know that I'm doing something right. I'll keep on mapping out my own home turf and hopefully I'll conquer it one day!! I'll have that home-field advantage!!😜

Comment

Originally posted by KDT88 View Post
      Nice to know that I'm doing something right. I'll keep on mapping out my own home turf and hopefully I'll conquer it one day!! I'll have that home-field advantage!!��
      Haha, I love it. You'll do it for sure with a positive go-get'em attitude. Your patience will be rewarded.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Those Alabama rigs look sweet. Funny thing is if I post on bass fishing forum that those are trolling lures they give me a hard time.
        Viking - Profish Reload Z
        Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

Originally posted by Mattawoman Mike View Post
          Those Alabama rigs look sweet. Funny thing is if I post on bass fishing forum that those are trolling lures they give me a hard time.
          They were born from umbrella rigs. They just made them from wire so they don't get tangled when you cast them. The nice thing about the alabama rig is that you can stop trolling and start casting if you hit a good location.

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

First Alan let me say I am really enjoying your book. It arrived a few days ago and I am learning a lot. From the time when I was a kid and fishing with my Dad he always said when we moved from one spot to another that we should troll because you never know .... we didn't have the knowledge you did we just tossed a lure out while moving. Now I am looking forward to getting out and trying to execute what you teach in your book.

In my pre-kayak fishing days I was a bass tournament fishing fool. I had stopped tournament fishing when I saw Paul Elias tossing the "Alabama" rig and yelled "HEY, that's an umbrella rig." My post was a little in jest because the bass tournament guys get a little upset when you call their Alabama rig a trolling lure.
            Viking - Profish Reload Z
            Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

I'm kind of ignorant about the wole trolling thing which seems to be how most of the saltwater guys here fish. How do you measure speed and depth? How do you know how deep your baits are running?
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                I'm kind of ignorant about the wole trolling thing which seems to be how most of the saltwater guys here fish. How do you measure speed and depth? How do you know how deep your baits are running?
                Speed is measured via the GPS/fishfinder.
                You can get into a whole discussion about depth, but there are a couple of simple ways.
                The first way is buy a plug that you know how deep it dives.
                If you are running a bucktail or something that depends on the amount of line you let out, you'll have to experiment. Use the fishfinder to locate a known depth and run over it until your lures drag...note how much line you have out.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Mattawoman Mike View Post
                  First Alan let me say I am really enjoying your book. It arrived a few days ago and I am learning a lot. From the time when I was a kid and fishing with my Dad he always said when we moved from one spot to another that we should troll because you never know .... we didn't have the knowledge you did we just tossed a lure out while moving. Now I am looking forward to getting out and trying to execute what you teach in your book.

In my pre-kayak fishing days I was a bass tournament fishing fool. I had stopped tournament fishing when I saw Paul Elias tossing the "Alabama" rig and yelled "HEY, that's an umbrella rig." My post was a little in jest because the bass tournament guys get a little upset when you call their Alabama rig a trolling lure.
                  Thanks Mike. I was just giving you a little ammunition when they give you trouble next time! :-)

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                    Ok so this is not technical but think about trolling like a long cast. I'm in shallow water a lot about 2-10ft so I stick with spoons, tubes and small jig heads. I just cast the lure off each side of the boat and paddle. I paddle a little faster for blues. You will learn the speed that gets the strikes. Good luck it's a lot of trial and error.

Thanks
                    trail and error.
                    Cuda 14
                    Big tuna

Comment

Working...
                    X