X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
    http://m.kayakfishmag.com/news/kayak...ark-in-hawaii/
    http://www.yakangler.com/spotlight/i...at-white-shark
    It looks like paddle kayaks are just as likely to be attacked by sharks from the reports I looked at, but here are a couple more on hobies so far that I have found.
    I've seen A LOT of videos with sharks biting powerboats. Heard/read about alligators biting kayaks too. I'd guess the probability of a shark biting a kayak (Hobie or not) is pretty slim. I thought surfers paddling out where supposed to be shark bait?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

We all must really be bored at work because this thread is so far off topic!!

Comment

That's a sweet looking setup, I don't understand why they don't include the dolly with the yak as part of the package. I can see a Hobie Outback or a PA in my future.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Here are some specs on the 2015 Outback and Revo 13.

Retail price: $2299

Outback Revo 13
          Length 12' 1" 13' 5"
          Width 33" 28.5"
          Capacity 400# 350#
          FHW: 75# 69.5# (Fitted Hull Weight)
          FRW: 88.3# 82.8# (Fully Rigged Weight)

Both boats are Rotomolded Polyethylene and are Lowrance ready
          2012 Hobie Outback
          2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

M bad!

Sorry about my previous post and the columns being out of alignment. I'm still learning things about this Board.
            2012 Hobie Outback
            2014 Tarpon 100

Comment

I just sat in a 2015 Outback. Wow. The two things that stuck out to me the most were the new drive system and the versatility/comfort of the seat. The drive system is effortless (out of the water). I know what your thinking....of course its effortless, its out of the water, but this thing required little more than a slight breeze to move it. They were reported to be the same in the water. Also the bearings are not plastic, they are Delrin; an extremely strong, wear resistant material used to replace metal parts.

The seat is very comfortable and extremely versatile. It has three height positions (low, med, and high) which are controlled by pulling a small strap. The back is adjustable as well. It can be adjusted a number of different ways to fit your personal preference. Taking the seat in and out was a breeze. It locks into place. Like the PA seat, it can be removed and used as a beach chair.

A few other things.....the deck is also extremely flat and standing was easy. There are mesh pockets (like the Revo has) on both sides. A stiffer paddle upgrade is also standard.

Hopefully the new shipment will arrive mid/late september. If your are thinking about an upgrade, the changes are pretty significant and IMO make the OB an exciting option. Hobie is scheduled to update their website on 9/1, so more detailed information should be provided available at that time.

I just wanted to share some basics because I know this thread generated a lot of interest and questions.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Where did you do see it? Can the rest of us "common folk" go someplace to see it too?
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

I don't think so. The dealer rep was at my sponsoring dealer over my lunch break. It was his display model which he uses to familarize the dealers with.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Wow...what a tease..lol
                    Good to hear about the bearings.
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Man, I was about to pull the trigger on a cuda 14 but this new report has me thinking that I should sell a motorcycle or two to cover the crown I need to fix this tooth I broke last weekend and go ahead with the order on a new outback. I did not think plastic bearings sounded good and I was pretty sure they would use something really high tech like this 'delrin', but I don't know enough about that type of stuff to know anything about those materials.

However, one thing I am worried about is surf launches in a mirage drive kayak. I am wondering how an outback would perform in those types of situations. For example, I fished cbbt last weekend in 3' plus conditions last weekend and found myself wondering how an outback would have handled it. Is it just as simple as pulling the mirage drive and paddling like a regular kayak or is this one of the tradeoffs for owning a pedal driven kayak?
                      Last edited by JohnE; 08-27-2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                        Man, I was about to pull the trigger on a cuda 14 but this new report has me thinking that I should sell a motorcycle or two to cover the crown I need to fix this tooth I broke last weekend and go ahead with the order on a new outback. I did not think plastic bearings sounded good and I was pretty sure they would use something really high tech like this 'delrin', but I don't know enough about that type of stuff to know anything about those materials.

However, one thing I am worried about is surf launches in a mirage drive kayak. I am wondering how an outback would perform in those types of situations. For example, I fished cbbt last weekend in 3' plus conditions last weekend and found myself wondering how an outback would have handled it. Is it just as simple as pulling the mirage drive and paddling like a regular kayak or is this one of the tradeoffs for owning a pedal driven kayak?
                        Outback will handle it just as well as any other kayak.
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Delrin is really strong stuff, considering it's essentially plastic. It is used in my line of work all the time in the construction of antennas.

I haven't done a real surf launch yet with my Outback, the closest thing to it would be launching off the beach in the bay with waves around a foot. That wasn't an issue, but still not "surf". As soon as you get more than a foot of depth you can drop the mirage drive in and pedal away...up until that point, it paddles like a regular kayak, just a little bit wider than desirable for much distance.

Folks on the west coast launch through the surf with Outbacks, so it's definitely doable.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

I was just wondering. I guess they are designed in California so I figured they must do ok in the surf. The waves on the beach were not really that big that time, but there were some breakers. Most times I have done real surf launches, like in Outer Banks, I have more problems coming back in then heading out. The ride is actually pretty decent for light surf since you can slide the seat way back.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              Delrin is really strong stuff, considering it's essentially plastic. It is used in my line of work all the time in the construction of antennas.

I haven't done a real surf launch yet with my Outback, the closest thing to it would be launching off the beach in the bay with waves around a foot. That wasn't an issue, but still not "surf". As soon as you get more than a foot of depth you can drop the mirage drive in and pedal away...up until that point, it paddles like a regular kayak, just a little bit wider than desirable for much distance.

Folks on the west coast launch through the surf with Outbacks, so it's definitely doable.
                              What do you do Cowpokey? We use it all the time too....and I also build antennas. I wonder if we both work at NGC and not know it. I'm a mechanical engineer there.
                              Delrin is kind of akin to teflon. Generally white or black and a self lubricating plastic. Acetal is truly the real name for this plastic. Delrin is Dupont's trade name for it. We use it all the time in military grade products.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                              Alan

Comment

I'm an antenna troop in the USAF...well, until today. I will be getting a "USAF Retired" pin on my lapel today.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X