Light/ultralight tackle set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light/ultralight tackle set up

I'm looking for a light tackle or ultralight tackle set up. I want to be able to cast as light as 1/16 oz lures and spinners for perch and spot and maybe as big as 3/8 oz range. I was wondering if anyone out their uses a set up like this or knows any good rod and reel combos that are inexpensive that will work. I've never used anything that light before, but I figured it would make catching those guys a little more fun.
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

i have had good luck with the carbon lite and the johnnie morris special from bass pro i have both in a light weight and the have been perfect for that type of fishing...i hooked a 28" cat fish in @ 20 fow and the light rod did well, also i have been looking at the temple fork outfitter rods aka "tfo" gary loomis built, they are very nice rods for the price point. jmho. best of luck with your chioce!!

Comment

Travis,

I use a Mitchell 310 spinning reel with 4 or 6 pound test mounted on a 5 foot Abu Garcia ultra light graphite rod.

It easily tosses 1/16 to 1/4 oz. lures. I've never tried 3/8 oz. lures on it.

A 5.5 foot rod would cast the lures farther but that is not an insurmountable problem in a kayak. I just move closer to my target.

If you're looking for truly light tackle, try a 5 wt. fly rod for catching white perch in the Bay.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by YaknBass View Post
        i have had good luck with the carbon lite and the johnnie morris special from bass pro i have both in a light weight and the have been perfect for that type of fishing...i hooked a 28" cat fish in @ 20 fow and the light rod did well, also i have been looking at the temple fork outfitter rods aka "tfo" gary loomis built, they are very nice rods for the price point. jmho. best of luck with your chioce!!
        Thanks, how does the Johnnie Morris hold up in the salt water?

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Travis,

I use a Mitchell 310 spinning reel with 4 or 6 pound test mounted on a 5 foot Abu Garcia ultra light graphite rod.

It easily tosses 1/16 to 1/4 oz. lures. I've never tried 3/8 oz. lures on it.

A 5.5 foot rod would cast the lures farther but that is not an insurmountable problem in a kayak. I just move closer to my target.

If you're looking for truly light tackle, try a 5 wt. fly rod for catching white perch in the Bay.
        I need to improve my fly fishing skills on land before I try on the kayak. 1/16 to 1/4 oz would be fine. I have other rods that will toss a 3/8 oz and bigger. What kind of line do you use Mono or braid?

Thanks for the responses guys.
        Travis
        Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Orange Old Town NEXT
        USN

Comment

Travis,

I use mono.

Don't worry about using fresh water tackle if you're going after fish in the Bay -- which what I assume you're going to do with ultra light equipment.

Just rinse it off in fresh water and dry it after each trip.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

My UL rod is a 5' Berkley Lightning Rod,and I've got a Mitchell Spider Mite reel on it. The reel is about the same as other brands in a 500 series. I spool it with 2 to 6 pound line.

For fly rods I like 2 & 3 weight. I have some 4,6,7&9wt rods, but they don't get out much.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks Mark,
              I appreciate the advice. I'll check out both those set ups. Their is just so much out their and so many options that it's overwhelming.
              Travis
              Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
              Orange Old Town NEXT
              USN

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                My UL rod is a 5' Berkley Lightning Rod,and I've got a Mitchell Spider Mite reel on it. The reel is about the same as other brands in a 500 series. I spool it with 2 to 6 pound line.

For fly rods I like 2 & 3 weight. I have some 4,6,7&9wt rods, but they don't get out much.
                I have a 6wt fly rod that I bought last year, but I can't get my casting down. Harry said he would give me some coaching.
                Travis
                Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
                Orange Old Town NEXT
                USN

Comment

no problems with either of the rods with the salt...it is the reel that i would be cautious with... the lighter available reels mostly freshwater use. been looking at the penn battle and the spinfisher V... the penn battle very nice reel for the price, again mho.. penn has a new model out in sept, i think the major upgrade is to the drag system of the new model. the current battle is a pretty nice reel priced @ 99.00 seen some on ebay for less.if your an ebay buyer. west marine stocks them & bass pro as well. just started looking at penn reels myself vs the shimano's & garcia's ect i think they are a very nice reel... many models and price points to choose from. and saltwater durable.

Comment

6wt is a good size to learn on, that's what I started with too.

Most beginners (me included, years ago) try too hard. Slow down, let the rod load, and keep the tip higher than you think it should be. It's very rare that my rod travels in a vertical plane, almost alway has some sidearm at a minimum.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

If you don't want to use braid on the light spinning gear, you might want to try P-Line CXX Premium. It is a co-polymer line that I've been very happy with and is a lot cheaper than braid.

Comment

Originally posted by YaknBass View Post
                        no problems with either of the rods with the salt...it is the reel that i would be cautious with... the lighter available reels mostly freshwater use. been looking at the penn battle and the spinfisher V... the penn battle very nice reel for the price, again mho.. penn has a new model out in sept, i think the major upgrade is to the drag system of the new model. the current battle is a pretty nice reel priced @ 99.00 seen some on ebay for less.if your an ebay buyer. west marine stocks them & bass pro as well. just started looking at penn reels myself vs the shimano's & garcia's ect i think they are a very nice reel... many models and price points to choose from. and saltwater durable.
                        I love the penn battle reels, I have a 4000 that use every time i go fishing and I use to have a 7000 too that I used for surf fishing and as a heavy reel on the boat for bigger fish but that one fell overboard. I too have looked at the penn 1000 and 2000. The new ones also have sealed bearings so the salt doesn't get into the bearings.
                        Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                        6wt is a good size to learn on, that's what I started with too.

Most beginners (me included, years ago) try too hard. Slow down, let the rod load, and keep the tip higher than you think it should be. It's very rare that my rod travels in a vertical plane, almost alway has some sidearm at a minimum.
                        Thanks, I'll give that a try next time I practice. I get a good cast every now and then but I can't seem to duplicate it.
                        Travis
                        Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
                        Orange Old Town NEXT
                        USN

Comment

Travis,

Let the rod and line do the work.

Harry is an excellent teacher.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

I bought a Cabelas Fish Eagle 50 light action 7' rod with a Cabelas Turnament ZX size 10. It is an excellent light rod. I like it because it is light action but not a buggy whip. It is great for trout, sunfish, and small bass throwing bait from 1/16 - 3/16 oz. Once you get to 1/4 oz you notice you are throwing a pretty heavy bait for the rod.

I do have a Loomis 5' UL buggy whip that I use for wading small streams. It is 25 years old. I have a very small Garcia Mitchel reel attached to it. It throws baits 1/32 oz. up to about 1/8 oz comfortably.

The CXX premium in moss green is excellent line BTW.
                            Hurricane Skimmer 128
                            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

While on this subject, Is there such a thing as an ultralight rod with good sensitivity?
                              I have a few and all of them are so whippy you really don't feel much.
                              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                              X