No announcement yet.

Spinning rod for throwing big plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take a look at Fenwick's website. I have an Eagle GT light rod which is pretty awesome for shad and perch fishing, but it's action is kind of slow.

The rod at Alltackle was a Crowder Blue Steel. Given how nice it felt, the price almost makes sense. The guy at the register had to look up the price and had a hard time finding it. I thought about offering him $100 for it, but I don't think there's a rod in that store that's $100 that's not an Ugly Stik.

Angler's had Airwave surf rods but not the regular spinning rods. It's hard to browse the rods there now with the way they have them set up. They had a Dure Tek, or something like that, which was a step up from an Ugly Stik. The tip was softish, but the backbone kicked in really quick. It would probably be a good live-lining rod, but the handle was really long. The Shimano Teramar felt clunky for the price.

If the MH Gold Cups or Inshore Extremes are as nice as the M rods Bass Pro had in stock, I think they'll be winners.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Did you check out the 7ft airwave surf rod? That's the one I have. I agree about the teramar spinning rod, it's heavy and the guides are too big. I got it for fishing outside the Chesapeake Bay, and I don't think I'll be casting much with it other than an occasional pitch of a live bait. I hope the gold cup or extreme is what you're looking for. If not, check out spinning muskie rods, they'd probably work really well.
      Used to fish more.

Comment

I haven't seen many muskie spinning rods, but the $45 Bass Pro casting muskie rod might be an option. I'll just have to cowboy up and improve my baitcasting skills.

Hurricane also makes some spinning rods that might fit the bill (ha!), but I'm not sure where to find them besides DSG (none are close), and there isn't much info about them on the web.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

If you're willing to spend in the $100 range have you thought about the mojo inshore in mh or h action or the tidemasters? You may also consider those other tc4's besides the teramar like the trevala or trajelo or whatever those shimano nonsense names are. St Croix makes a nice blank... WAIT I just remembered this bookmark I have.

http://www.ramseyoutdoor.com/product...754/index.aspx

err looks like they are out, but poke around there may be more.
          Used to fish more.

Comment

One other idea, have you checked out All Star rods? I saw one at West Marine in Charleston that looked awesome. I ended up getting the Teremar bc of the TC4 blank, but the All Star might be the ticket for what you're looking for?
            Used to fish more.

Comment

BPS is kinda hit or miss, if you can check out i think its chesapeake rod and tackle on KI. its near fishermans inn. i was looking at their rods at the ff market and was checking out an okuma in the 130.00 range and it was a really sweet rod and i was comparing it with custom rods they had in the 300.00 range and it had a lot of excellent features for a rod that inexpensive. i dont like buying rods sight unseen i like to feel them and make sure they feel right before buying one

Comment

Working...
              X