Big fish from a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big fish from a kayak

For those who think that you cannot catch large fish from a kayak -- think again. I just returned from two weeks in south Florida. I fished on 11 days with kayak fishing guides Alex Tejeda and Randy Morrow. During those 11 trips with the guides, I caught a total of 23 different species of fish. I was delighted to catch all of the prized inshore gamefish species for which south Florida is known. These include tarpon, permit, bonefish, barracuda, lemon sharks, bonnethead sharks, blacktip sharks, and Goliath grouper. I caught 6 species that I had never caught before (permit, Goliath grouper, trunkfish, lookdown, yellow jack, and dog snapper). I also caught personal best fish of two other species (7' lemon shark, 14” mojarra). I consider the trip very successful.

I wrote up a trip report that goes into detail on where I fished and what I caught day-by-day. It is full of color photos. That report can be downloaded from Google Drive at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XNP...ew?usp=sharing.

John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great trip John!
    that tarpon-in-the-water picture is spectacular and suitable for large print framing! Beautimous

Sincerely,
    Jealous

Comment

You're a kayak fishing machine, John.

Congratulations on another successful Florida trip.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That's awesome. I'd have trouble coming back up north after a trip like that.
        Native Slayer 12
        Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
          That's awesome. I'd have trouble coming back up north after a trip like that.
          I fished for perch in Weems Creek this morning. The pullage was not quite the same as catching tarpon, bonefish, barracuda, and sharks in the Keys. But it is good to be home after being away for two weeks.

My wife has no interest in moving to Florida. But she does not mind if I schedule several extended fishing trips there each year.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great report and trip, that’s some quality catching.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Great pictures and beautiful fish. That goliath grouper sure is pretty. While you can catch large fish on a kayak, I don’t think you’d want to try and catch a full grown goliath on one.
              Awsome!

Comment

Working...
              X