No announcement yet.

Jamaica Bay Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good lord that's some big sea robins. I caught a few in Lynnhaven but they were tiny compared to those.

Comment

Thanks for the report and pics Tufnik... ALMOST feels like I was there. ALMOST! LOL I hate those darn sea robins... they pull so hard and get you excited then... BLAH! LOL Glad to see you guys did well!

Comment

WOW! That's a Nice Fish! Good Job guys!
        2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
          I see Rich on the Leaderboard!!! Nice going Rich! Did anyone place after the final day?
          No one placed from our group but there where several Snagged line slams in the mid 80's. If Chimo had made the turn in I'm sure he would have placed.
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Nice report, and awesome fish Chimo! This will definitely be an event I want to make next year.
            Shane
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Reelaxin10 View Post
              Nice report, and awesome fish Chimo! This will definitely be an event I want to make next year.
              I definitely don't mind going again next year, even though the tolls totaled $35.10 one way. Same amount on the return. J-Bay is regarded as a pretty productive fishing area, especially if you want bigger fish. Many good spots within a mile or so. The protected water also makes it nice for yak fishing.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Great trip this year! I'm already looking forward to next year and I'm trying to scheme a way to go back this weekend! Here's some pictures, I finished with an 85" slam as well.

Here's some pictures:

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I know you did well, but not that well, Mike. WTG! Is that fellow with the VT cap your former school roomy? I think I met him at the Friday evening meal.

I think this weekend will be crowded.....no?........ Memorial Day weekend!?!? I think you need a permit for night time, but not for daytime, right? How do you get a permit? Is there an overnight campground fee?

Comment

Yep, that's my college roommate and this was our 4th JBay tourney together- you would think we'd have it figured out by now!

www.recreation.gov is the site for making camping registrations, $20 bucks a night and you should be able to wheel your kayak down from the campsite and fish at night without a permit since it is really a parking permit. I am not sure how sketchy camping here is when there aren't so many people around but the area is definitely patrolled by Park Police and shouldn't be too bad. One thing we found out last year, you must have a tent to camp (or trailer or whatever). Park Police doesn't understand sleeping in your car and will think you're buying/selling/or otherwise up-to-no-good.

Here's a couple more. By far the most action came from the small bluefish (17-24"), I caught a ton on tube and worm, then on tube and fluke strips, and then on tube and bluefish strips. It was nuts there for awhile with multiple doubles and I didn't take any pictures!

Last edited by Redfish12; 05-20-2013, 06:43 PM.
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Jbay

http://www.interstatekf.blogspot.com...nament_20.html
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Great Write up by Grilled^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome tournament. This year was better than last year with the numbers and sizes of fish caught. Over the 4 day tournament I landed over 20 Fluke to 24'', 9 Bass to 36'' and too many blues to count to 29''. I ended the tournament with an 83'' slam with a 36'' Bass, 24'' Fluke and 23'' blue for record. I lost several blues in the 30'' range during the tournament but was unable to seal the deal on them. I think the Pancake hot dogs were better than the pancake burgers, lol.

Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I don't have much to add to what others have said. I had a really good time up there again this year. I'll definitely be back again next year and would suggest going for anyone that thinks they might be interested. I caught a ton of sea robins, a bunch of small blues, a few decent fluke, and one weakfish, which wasn't huge but is the biggest I've ever caught. A few of the fish are pictured below. The first is one of the handful of sea robins that was willing to go after a 10" Hogy. My biggest fluke for the tourney, which I struggled to photograph, was 24", but I caught one that was about 25-26" before the tournament that I didn't get a picture of and that I threw back. I kept four fluke to bring home that are in the picture below and ranged from a little over 19" to about 22". I'm fortunate that my parents live in NJ and can drive back Monday with my work schedule. I had to do all the filleting, but my Mom cooked up six of the fillets. I had a recipe for broiled flounder/fluke with arugula pesto that I wanted to try which came out very tasty. four of the fillets were gone already before I thought to take a picture.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Still awesome that you caught that Sea Robin on that Hogy.
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Wow.... excellent write up and WAY TO REPRESENT!!!

Comment

it was my first time fishing the tournament and that area, so i didnt do as well as everyone else since i didnt do my research and came ill prepared. wrong tackle and not enough cold or wet weather clothes! by sunday, everything was soaked! i still had a blast though and cant wait until next year. the snaggedline members competing are complete fishing machines, i definitely learned that. i only ended up with a bunch of sea robins, blues up to 22", rockfish at 37" (though the judges only gave me 36" bc of my pic, i took 7 pictures and i couldnt get a good shot for the life of me! the tail kept flopping down!), 19.5" flounder and a big ass clam! P5170448.jpgP5170450.jpgP5170460.jpgP5180469.jpgP5190482.jpgP5170456.jpgP5170436.jpg

i hope to see more snagged members next year!
                              sigpic

Comment

Next time I ought to follow you guys.......and get some big Hogy tube and worm lures too.....and of course, snag a bunka for livelining (that's how Chimo got the 41er).

Comment

Working...
                                X