Getting out Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting out Friday

I took the day off Friday, gonna head out and see if I cannot get some of that Rockfish action everyone is doing now. I cant get out until 10am or so though.

Was thinking about Fort Armistead or Fort Smallwood.. I have been to Armistead once and never to Smallwood. Probably heading out by myself, unless someone wants to tag along. I figure I will stay fairly close to shore. The wind is supposed to be 10MPH, will that be a problem do you think?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Tide wise I will be getting on the water at low tide, so I will do most of my fishing with an incoming tide

F 3 High 2:33 AM 1.7 7:05 AM Set 1:25 AM 61
    3 Low 9:58 AM 0.6 6:46 PM Rise 3:36 PM
    3 High 2:56 PM 1.3
    3 Low 9:12 PM 0.4

Comment

I'm heading out Friday as well. Plan on putting in on bear creek somewhere and working my way towards the key bridge. I'm just gonna play things by ear though. Gotta work Friday night so I won't be out too long. If you see a guy in a canoe with an American and a Maryland flag that looks like he has no clue what he's doing, give me a holler haha.

Comment

The winds could be a bit of an issue, especially on the more open waters. I hate wind! 10 is about my limit. Any more than that and it's just not fun.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
          The winds could be a bit of an issue, especially on the more open waters. I hate wind! 10 is about my limit. Any more than that and it's just not fun.
          Prediction is out of the east tomorrow. Thinking about launching at Terrapin Park...even as much as I don't care to pay launch and bridge tolls. If the wind forecast is correct, that should be good for that side of the main stem.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

latest prediction is pretty calm until 8am.. then it is 8-7 mph from SSE.. it climbs to 10mph at 1pm topping out at 12mph late afternoon.. all from the SSE.

I am thinking about Fort Armistead.. free, close some of the coves are protected from the SSE. If it gets bad I can just pack it in and watch the Os beat the Tigers again.

Comment

pat good luck...hookem up bro!! i was out on wed. stiff am winds rock all were short plenty of perch rippin silver spoons and one speckled trout about 12" on a rattle trap.

Comment

I'm going to get out and play in the surf today. I'll try to catch a few fish, but mostly I want to test the WindPaddle on the new kayak. I've been waiting for a windy day like this.

Comment

Just got in.. The wind was pretty stiff to start with at 11am... and got worse around 1pm. at 130 I figured it was getting too much for me and headed in. Weather.com says it is at 12MPH... felt like 20mph. When there turned out to be more whitecaps than non whitecaps I figured it was time to hang it up. It is a freaky feeling to look at the bow of your boat to see a whitecap breaking over it and it being totally underwater.. thank god for scuppers.

Fish wise, I got a couple Perch.. at least I am pretty sure they were perch.. they looked perchey.. kinda brown and gold/yellow, they were all around 10 inches and I tossed them all bak. I left out of Ft. Armistead and paddled do the little bay around the corner to get out of the wind.. that worked great but the FF showed it to be a barren wasteland.. though real comfortable fishing. I summoned up my courage and paddled to the pilings. The waves were pretty decent in size but the Moken handled them with ease, even drifting sideways to them. I started at the second piling and allowed myself to drive northerly. THe FF showed HUGE clumps of bait and each time I drifted over it I got a perch on. I was using a silver jig-spoon. Once I got the the submerged peir I would paddle back to the bridge and start it over again.

All in all it was a good time but very tiring. I didn't dare to re-rig my lines and try anything else.. I have a few soft baits I wanted to test out but the waves were pretty rough and re-rigging seemd to be an endeavor that I could pass on.

Comment

You'll get used to the waves and get more confidence to be able to rerig and move around on your boat as the time comes. The first time I was on the bay it got rough, and had me spooked, now it doesn't bother me nearly as much. Just have to make sure I stay within my limits and don't get too brave. So far, so good.

Now that I've got a crate with 3700 trays, it's easy to change baits, with the boat rolling around, and sit sidesaddle if needed.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

That Moken was awesome today.. I never really felt close to tipping over, even when taking the waves on the side. I have not yet gotten the courage to sit sideways yet. I am still at the stage where I am getting used to hanging my legs over each side for more stability.

When I got back I found about 3 cups of water in my hull... not sure if it is getting in from a hatch or from the small crack I have in my side (I knew this when I purchased it and got money off because of it). I will have to fill up my hull this weekend to see if I have a hole in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                        Fish wise, I got a couple Perch.. at least I am pretty sure they were perch.. they looked perchey.. kinda brown and gold/yellow,
                        This made me giggle.

Here's what a white perch looks like. You'll get used to them, they are everywhere...fresh and salt. These are little ones from freshwater, Tridelphia to be specific. The ones I've been catching in the bay are larger, in the 10" range like you got today. I don't think I have a picture of any of the bigger ones.

Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

That Moken was awesome today.. I never really felt close to tipping over, even when taking the waves on the side. I have not yet gotten the courage to sit sideways yet. I am still at the stage where I am getting used to hanging my legs over each side for more stability.

When I got back I found about 3 cups of water in my hull... not sure if it is getting in from a hatch or from the small crack I have in my side (I knew this when I purchased it and got money off because of it). I will have to fill up my hull this weekend to see if I have a hole in it.
                          I had a "few" gallons in my hull today. It stays dry when I'm by myself (no matter how rough), but takes some water through the front hatch when waves get big and my daughter is on the front.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

yup that is what I got, but they were much darker with a gold/yellow undertone. I didn't realize 10 inches was a good size for them and I didn't know the limits for them, I didn't want to break the law so I tossed them back. Now I have checked and I could keep any size and as many as I want.

GOing out tonight to do some night time shore fishing for Cats with some friends.. I could have used the perch for that.

Comment

yup that is what I got, but they were much darker with a gold/yellow undertone. I didn't realize 10 inches was a good size for them and I didn't know the limits for them, I didn't want to break the law so I tossed them back. Now I have checked and I could keep any size and as many as I want.

GOing out tonight to do some night time shore fishing for Cats with some friends.. I could have used the perch for that.
                              Perch are good for catfish bait. You could try catching some more from shore, just toss a spinner bait or jig with a spinner. I use Roostertail spinnerbaits, usually black and white with a silver blade in 1/8 oz.

Do yourself a favor and bookmark this:

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland...dentification/

Then you can check things out on the water with your phone if you're not sure about identity, size or limits.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X