Problems, solutions, and results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems, solutions, and results

I was in Oklahoma for the past five days. The only saltwater they have there comes from oil and gas wells. I was eager to get in some Chesapeake fishing. The only trouble was the lousy weather today with worse weather on the way. I spent all morning getting caught up from the trip. After lunch I checked the weather forecast and found wind and rain, but mostly light rain was predicted. I decided to go fishing. Here are the problems and solutions:

Problem: strong wind. Solution: look for an area with shelter from wind by landmass. I tried several spots until I found one that allowed me relatively calm water.

Problem: rain. Solution: I wore a GoreTex rainsuit over my regular fishing clothes with my PFD on top of the rainsuit. I wore a hat with a long front brim. When I paddled into the wind, I had to zip the hood up all the way.

Problem: very low water level. Solution: fish farther from shore than usual.

Problem: dirty water from stormwater runoff. Solution: no easy solution since the most sheltered waters have more stormwater runoff input. I decided to fish where I could and see what happened. I caught fish in rust-colored water and in water that looked like coffee with cream.

I did not want to spend a long time loading and unloading the kayak allowing rain to get in my van. I chose my 11' Native Manta Ray 11 paddle kayak today and trolled just two lines. I have no electronics on that basic kayak. The two lures I used were a 1/2-oz jighead with a chartreuse Gulp swimming mullet and a 1/2-oz bucktail with a 12 Fathom Buzztail plastic in chartreuse. Both caught well -- the bucktail/Buzztail combo caught a few more fish and caught the larger ones.

004.jpg

Results: I trolled for 2.5 hours and caught 27 rockfish. Two of them were about 16". Most were between 17.5" and 18.5". I caught keepers of 20", 20.5", and 22.5". The largest one is shown below. All fish were fat and healthy -- all were released. Without my FF/GPS, I do not know the precise depths where I caught the fish. I estimate they were in depths of 5' to 15'.

003.jpg

I do not know how the weather will be for the next few days. If the weather is fishable, I plan to be out again. If you do choose to fish in high winds, please be careful and safe.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Best post this week. Way to brave it out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Glad your efforts paid off. Thanks for the report. I love that you got out there in it!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice work John!
        Shane
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Great job in trying conditions.

Looks like that bucktail is ready for another visit to the beauty shop.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Great job in trying conditions.

Looks like that bucktail is ready for another visit to the beauty shop.
            Mark -- I think that is one of your "On the Mark" bucktails. It sure worked well today. The fish did not care about the scrapes and missing paint.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the great report.
              Vicariously fishing right now, not much time during our football season.

Comment

Wow, way to tear it up with unfavorable conditions.

I love the part about only trolling two rods because you were paddling, and with two weight lures (no floater/suspender). I cant imagine keeping 3 rods untangled in my Hobie...
                Mike

Comment

Inspiring report John. All the usual cards were stacked against you, but you still not only made a day of it, but a great day.

You are the Jack Nicklaus of kayak fishers; a "legend in your spare time."

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
                    Wow, way to tear it up with unfavorable conditions.

I love the part about only trolling two rods because you were paddling, and with two weight lures (no floater/suspender). I cant imagine keeping 3 rods untangled in my Hobie...
                    I normally troll 4 lines. It is relatively easy with a pedal kayak (keep the kayak moving forward so the lines drag out behind you; this is not hard to do unless you get a large fish on that swims back and forth and tangles lines -- I will accept tangled lines from time to time if they were caused by catching a strong fish). I have only two rod holders on my Manta Ray 11. At the start of the trip, I braced a third rod between my feet. It did not feel comfortable with the wind, so I put the third rod away.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Thank you for this post. I have been fairly quiet here for some time and have always wanted to try bay fishing. I wondered if my 12' Jackson Cuda would be adequate for fishing the bay and its tributaries. This post has shown me that my yak should do fine. Thank you.

Mike
                      ---------------------------------
                      Mike Hossom
                      Olive Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        I normally troll 4 lines. It is relatively easy with a pedal kayak (keep the kayak moving forward so the lines drag out behind you; this is not hard to do unless you get a large fish on that swims back and forth and tangles lines -- I will accept tangled lines from time to time if they were caused by catching a strong fish). I have only two rod holders on my Manta Ray 11. At the start of the trip, I braced a third rod between my feet. It did not feel comfortable with the wind, so I put the third rod away.
                        My fear is in the tangles. I want the strong fish, so reeling in more small ones at the risk of having to cut off 50-100' of braid off of one or more rods doesnt seem worth it.
                        Mike

Comment

You generally won't get in a situation to cut 50' - 100'of line when running 2-3 lines. 4 can be a bit excessive, not for the lack of efficacy, but because a kayak simply does not have a wide enough beam to separate many lines enough for it to be worth it. You will have more impact choosing the right lure for the conditions and/or trolling tandem / umbrella rigs to find the fish. Strong fish, when they like to feed, will easily overcome the distance separation between lines. In trolling what matters is how effective your lure line length / depth are relative to your trolling speed and current speed as well as your trolling direction relative to the current direction. The risks are if you misjudge or don't stay on top of depth, you'll like have a snag, which if unrecoverable will result in a lost lure and 5-20 feet of braid. If you misjudge current direction and your own turns (turning tight and/or slow), you can encounter a tangle which might result in a couple inches to feet of lost line. These issues occur in running 1 to n line(s) - just the other day my only line got snagged on my transducer cover after taking a hard turn and sitting in slack for about 20 seconds. Not fun figuring that one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

I ran 3 lines through this storm (fished all week)- a white paddle tail, a chartreuse paddle tail (both Z-mans) and a pointer 78 in crack blue. I wanted the pointer out there to make some noise in the turbid water. All 3 caught fish.

Not as hot today as yesterday, but still good.

John - do you have some kind of counter? I lose track after 4 or 5, kind of like golf

Comment

That LC in crack blue is one of my favorite baits!

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                              I ran 3 lines through this storm (fished all week)- a white paddle tail, a chartreuse paddle tail (both Z-mans) and a pointer 78 in crack blue. I wanted the pointer out there to make some noise in the turbid water. All 3 caught fish.

Not as hot today as yesterday, but still good.

John - do you have some kind of counter? I lose track after 4 or 5, kind of like golf
                              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
                              X