No announcement yet.

The Severn giveth, taketh away, and giveth again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am the Snaggedline member who began talking about 12 Fathom Fat Sams a few years ago after using them in Florida (I also like the Buzztail model too). I passed out samples to many other anglers so they could give them a try. I have used Bass Assassin brand paddletails, Cocahoe minnows, Z-man, and other brands of paddletails. They all swim well, but I think the Fat Sams have the best swimming action at a variety of speeds. I like the color selection too. Regarding durability, the Z-man lures are tops in this category. After Z-mans, I find the Fat Sams to be somewhat more durable than other brands of soft plastics, including the brands listed above, BKDs and BustEm baits. If you are happy with the performance of other brands, by all means keep using them. But if you want to try an alternate that has worked well for me, get a bag of Fat Sams.

I do use Z-man plastics when the bluefish are prevalent, but often have trouble with the plastics staying in place on the jighead. Plus you cannot allow Z-man plastics to touch other brands of soft plastics -- melting occurs. So I do not use them during non-bluefish times of the year.

In the sense of full disclosure, I get most of my 12 Fathom lures from my Florida guide at no cost. I don't usually get to choose the color -- he gives me a few dozen samples of colors for which he has excess stock. I promised him that I would share them with others in Maryland and spread the word.

To the best of my knowledge, no local tackle shops or big-box stores carry 12 Fathom lures. They are easily ordered online at a reasonable cost (22.5 to 24 cents/lure). If enough anglers talk to their local tackle shop and request them to stock 12 Fathom products, perhaps one of the dealers would do that.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks. I'll have to give them a shot sometime when my supply of other brand paddle tails starts to run low.
      Brian

Comment

You might want to try the Berkley power bait swim shads also. I do well with them at Loch raven. These 2 fish were caught Friday after work.2015 pike.jpgpickerel 2015.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the info John. Nice to support smaller producers that have quality products.
          WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Working...
          X