New to kayak fishing the Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to kayak fishing the Bay

So far I've only lake and river fish with my 14 foot Cuda. I'd like to experience some bay fishing. I really don't want to head out and fish the big water yet. I was thinking of going out near Kent Island or on the Eastern shore...nothing too far since I'm coming from Mt Airy. I just like to throw light tackle like some jigs and crank baits and have fun with perch, rock, blues, trout, whatever.

Any advice here or in messaging would be fine. Anything shared with me will only go that far I'm definitely want to hold spots close to the vest .

Unfortunately it would be on a weekend so maybe boat traffic would affect the trip like this.

Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by MtAiryEd; 08-08-2016, 10:59 PM.
    14' Jackson Cuda

You really don't need to go across the bridge unless you want to. There's plenty of anne arundel county launches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
      You really don't need to go across the bridge unless you want to. There's plenty of anne arundel county launches

Well, I guess I'll just have to research and find those.
      14' Jackson Cuda

Comment

Jonas Green on the Severn river is a great launch that is not far from the mouth of the river. On the South River, Beverly-Triton and South River Farms are both great launches to access near the mouth of the South river. I launched out of Beverly yesterday to breaking fish within a 5 minute paddle.
        J

Comment

Here is a link to boat/car top launch areas in Anne Arundel County http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Page...access/aa.aspx

Comment

Welcome! You have come to a great site. What ever launch options you choose, please make sure that you keep safety in mind. I only launch on weekdays. There are always reports of a kayaker getting hit (or near miss) by a larger boat.

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I live in Hampstead, so I know the struggles of a longer drive to a fishing spot. But as others have mentioned, Jonas Green on the Severn is great. Just make sure to launch there by 7am because it starts to get very busy after that. Spriggs farm is nice too, that's on the magothy, theres a locked gate that you have to request the code for, but it's an easy process from their website. I fished Beverly Triton and Ft Smallwood early in the spring, and got skunked at both, but the other guy I fished with caught a few small fish at each I believe. I think the key to trolling up fish anywhere is using small (3-5" in the summer) paddletails and light (1/8-1/2oz jigheads). I was surprised at how many more fish I produced when I started using 1/4 oz jigheads and smaller paddletails. Since you're located in CC, I assume you're into catfishing, and if so, a couple of us might make the trip down to Marshall Hall, the location of a M&G earlier this year, and a very good spot for catfishing. Meet and greets are a great opportunity to meet people, learn techniques, and learn spots to fish, I highly suggest going to at least 1 before the year is over.

Comment

I've never been in that area in a kayak. But, I have fished heavily transitted bays, like the San Juan, Puerto Rico Bay and others in Puerto Rico. Although I can't recommend any launch sites for you, I can give you some basic recommendations.
                Always have a reflective life vest, if going out early in the morning or late afternoon take your Pole Light along and keep on at all times, VHF Marine Radio (waterproof and floatable), CD or mirror for reflection (just in case needed) and a LED headlight on at all times as well.
                Once you get to know your Yak and its limits (as well as yours), you will be ready to go out to BigWater Yaking. I remember the first time I went out to a reef 4 miles out, I was nervous as could be. But I didn't go out alone and we all had out safety equipment setup and on.
                Which reminds me of another recommendation I have for you; Never go out alone... If you do go out alone, write down your intended or planned route and give to someone. Tell that person that if you don't contact them by XX:XX HOURS they should contact the authorities. I also recommend you visit your local Coast Guard Auxilary and get your kayak inspected and certified, it'll give you peace of mind and added confidence.
                TAMARACK 120 ANGLER GREEN

POMANO 120 GREY/BLACK CAMO

Comment

Very valuable advice, guys!!! Thank you so much for taking the time! This fishing is a lot different than the Susky and Piney Run, for sure.

I think I'll wait for a good weekday, and schedule it with a partner.

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                  ... Since you're located in CC, I assume you're into catfishing,
                  LOL.....well, I'm not into catfishing. I'm sure it's fun. I'm originally from Scranton, PA....lived there until I was 30. Maybe that's why I don't have the CC catfish blood. ha!

Ed
                  14' Jackson Cuda

Comment

I must agree with Jonas Green. It will give the feel of larger water and yet be protected. When you are ready to go out on the open bay, choose your day well and go with others the first few times. You will also learn where to go during certain wind conditions and wind directions. There are some areas that are better protected during certain wind directions. Always beware of the South wind. They seem to be the worst on the bay. Otherwise, the bay is just another body of water. Also, with smart phones, weather radar is readily available, differing from days past, when one had to keep a watch on the sky. With kayaks, by the time the sky darkens it may be too late to avoid a storm.

Good Luck.

Comment

I am willing to drive a bit further for more sheltered areas. I thought, with the river systems on the e-shore, there would be a bit smaller water and I would not have to venture out on the "Bay". I'm looking at St. Michael's and Easton on the map. Are there areas in those more-protected waters where I can find active fish?

Thanks!
                      14' Jackson Cuda

Comment

If you want something a little smaller look at carrs wharf. Head up river and there are a few smaller coves/creeks. Only downside is the parking availability - only a handful of cars can park at a time

Comment

If you want something a little smaller look at carrs wharf. Head up river and there are a few smaller coves/creeks. Only downside is the parking availability - only a handful of cars can park at a time

That looks like my kind of starting place, Brian! Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll probably head up the west side of that camp peninsula unless I get better advice.

Oh, as far as being visible, etc, I have a lighted flag, but am thinking of going a bit further, like wearing bright clothing, etc. Do folks put reflective tape on their yaks? Someone mentioned reflective vests...not a bad idea to carry in case I'm out there early or late. Anything else? My PFD does have some reflective material on it.

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?213
                          Last edited by MtAiryEd; 08-11-2016, 07:21 PM.
                          14' Jackson Cuda

Comment

Let me know, I could be tempted to go Sunday morning.

Comment

Let me know, I could be tempted to go Sunday morning.

I'm good for very early Sunday.
                              14' Jackson Cuda

Comment

Working...
                              X