Carrs Wharf 8/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrs Wharf 8/18

Went out today with Steve6902 and mchottie out of Carrs wharf, launched a little after 6:00. Trolled around up in the river for a bit, and even though those guys were getting good marks, we didn't get a bump. We headed out toward the mouth, trolling the channel edges all the way out and didn't get a bump. We must have had 6 different colors between us, and nothing, so we decided to head for structure that would hold perch. Plenty of rip rap and deadfall resulted in lots of perch.

I probably caught over 30 - I really don't count, but it was a lot. At one point, I landed decent perch on about 7 casts in a row. A few 10+ inchers in the mix too. Mchottie found some channel cats too. I believe every fish we caught today was landed on some variation of a beetle spin - I was using pumpkin seed on a black jig head. You know you are having a good day when your twister tail falls off from catching so many - twice.

I also managed to land a really short striper - probably around 11 inches or so - the only striper of the day. Steve trolled around the mouth of the Rhode, and past the duck blind, and where he West and Rhode meet. It was a tough day for trolling. We didn't see anybody landing anything - there were a lot of boats out there. The nice part about the Rhode is that it is pretty well protected - very little wind, and very little wake. Mostly small boats running trot lines for crabs.

Great time on the water, perfect day, and thanks to Steve6902 for being the tour guide today.

I would post pictures, but apparently I forgot how to operate the camera on my phone - I thought I was taking pictures, but I wasn't!

Looking forward to the fall season.

Steve
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Not sure how I forgot to include this in my report, but I am no longer a CNR virgin. Got hit on the way out trolling the channel edge. It happens just like everyone says...I thought I had a snag, it started moving, got it close to the boat, it gave me bath, I had to cut it off. The strength of such a small creature amazed me.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
      Not sure how I forgot to include this in my report, but I am no longer a CNR virgin. Got hit on the way out trolling the channel edge. It happens just like everyone says...I thought I had a snag, it started moving, got it close to the boat, it gave me bath, I had to cut it off. The strength of such a small creature amazed me.
      Welcome to the club. Now that you know their routine, you can break them off before the splash bath, unless you find it refreshing on a hot day.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I had a good time with Belairfish and Mchottie. Marked a lot of fish but just couldn't get them to bite. Tons of WP caught.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I fished Carrs Wharf several times last year and always found it to be a productive perch hangout, never had any luck finding stripers there. I have even caught a few Crappie further towards the back. Wish I could have joined you guys, I owe Steve a cigar!
          Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

My PA14 has a huge front hatch, and we filled it with two dozen fat 10"+ perch and I also landed 24" & 26" channel cats. There were really good marks on the FF in open water, but we trolled a little of everything and no bites. Spinner-bait was the ticket up near the riprap and rock formations. Saturday morning the water was dead-calm from 6am-945am, and the weather was GORGEOUS (see pics below)

- I secretly tried to reproduce our productive outing on Sunday morning 8/19, but the water was choppy, and the skies looked dark & gloomy all morning. I managed another 5 10"+ perch to add to the cooler, and I hooked something at the point (thought it was a log until it moved) so was probably either a channel or a skate, i'm glad the spinner-bait let go. Also about 30 yards towards open water from where we were perchin Saturday, I was sitting near a 300' trot line, in about 4 FOW, and I saw a dorsal fin about 4" horizontal and 3" vertical, and in hindsight i should have thrown some topwater. I have a feeling it was a BIG striper feeding in the shallows.

Pics from Saturday:

Pics from Sunday:

Last edited by mchottie; 08-20-2018, 08:55 AM.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by Yakmac View Post
              I fished Carrs Wharf several times last year and always found it to be a productive perch hangout, never had any luck finding stripers there. I have even caught a few Crappie further towards the back. Wish I could have joined you guys, I owe Steve a cigar!
              Hey man, you don't owe me anything! But I would enjoy fishing with you again, and having a smoke. Funny you brought up the cigar - after I fired up my Perdomo, I pedaled to fish closer to Steve6902 and mchottie, and Steve said "Are you smoking a cigar? You're my kind of kayak fisherman!"

And the perch fishing was amazing. Remember, I am new to this whole bay/river fishing thing, so I was in heaven. And catching perch like that was kind of nostalgic for me. My brother and I grew up in Dundalk, and we would fish in Bear Creek all summer, for white perch. We would get up, take our seine net, bait bucket and rods and ride our bikes over to our favorite spot. We would be gone for HOURS, and catch white perch all day. My brother even caught a tiny little juvenile rockfish in there once, on a Tony Acetta pet spoon. We would catch a lot, but if we caught one or two over 8 iniches, that was a big deal - nothing like what I experienced this weekend.
              2015 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Hey man, you don't owe me anything! But I would enjoy fishing with you again, and having a smoke. Funny you brought up the cigar - after I fired up my Perdomo, I pedaled to fish closer to Steve6902 and mchottie, and Steve said "Are you smoking a cigar? You're my kind of kayak fisherman!"

And the perch fishing was amazing. Remember, I am new to this whole bay/river fishing thing, so I was in heaven. And catching perch like that was kind of nostalgic for me. My brother and I grew up in Dundalk, and we would fish in Bear Creek all summer, for white perch. We would get up, take our seine net, bait bucket and rods and ride our bikes over to our favorite spot. We would be gone for HOURS, and catch white perch all day. My brother even caught a tiny little juvenile rockfish in there once, on a Tony Acetta pet spoon. We would catch a lot, but if we caught one or two over 8 iniches, that was a big deal - nothing like what I experienced this weekend.
                That's a cool story, thanks for sharing. If you ever want to get acquainted with the Scenic Severn river I would be more than happy to share information that has been shared with me. I also need some fly fishing lessons, I purchased a fly rod at the beginning of the year and haven't had the chance to use it once. Mark has offered to give me some lessons but life this year has been hectic. I really need to learn because I have a fly fishing trip in NJ in October.
                Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

With the crazy weather and fish patterns this year, we were all smiles pulling in fat perch every other cast!

Comment

Went out today with Steve6902 and mchottie out of Carrs wharf, launched a little after 6:00. Trolled around up in the river for a bit, and even though those guys were getting good marks, we didn't get a bump. We headed out toward the mouth, trolling the channel edges all the way out and didn't get a bump. We must have had 6 different colors between us, and nothing, so we decided to head for structure that would hold perch. Plenty of rip rap and deadfall resulted in lots of perch.

I probably caught over 30 - I really don't count, but it was a lot. At one point, I landed decent perch on about 7 casts in a row. A few 10+ inchers in the mix too. Mchottie found some channel cats too. I believe every fish we caught today was landed on some variation of a beetle spin - I was using pumpkin seed on a black jig head. You know you are having a good day when your twister tail falls off from catching so many - twice.

I also managed to land a really short striper - probably around 11 inches or so - the only striper of the day. Steve trolled around the mouth of the Rhode, and past the duck blind, and where he West and Rhode meet. It was a tough day for trolling. We didn't see anybody landing anything - there were a lot of boats out there. The nice part about the Rhode is that it is pretty well protected - very little wind, and very little wake. Mostly small boats running trot lines for crabs.

Great time on the water, perfect day, and thanks to Steve6902 for being the tour guide today.

I would post pictures, but apparently I forgot how to operate the camera on my phone - I thought I was taking pictures, but I wasn't!

Looking forward to the fall season.

Steve
                    Nice write up and fishing report! I would like to join you guys. Never been out there. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                      My PA14 has a huge front hatch, and we filled it with two dozen fat 10"+ perch and I also landed 24" & 26" channel cats. There were really good marks on the FF in open water, but we trolled a little of everything and no bites. Spinner-bait was the ticket up near the riprap and rock formations. Saturday morning the water was dead-calm from 6am-945am, and the weather was GORGEOUS (see pics below)

- I secretly tried to reproduce our productive outing on Sunday morning 8/19, but the water was choppy, and the skies looked dark & gloomy all morning. I managed another 5 10"+ perch to add to the cooler, and I hooked something at the point (thought it was a log until it moved) so was probably either a channel or a skate, i'm glad the spinner-bait let go. Also about 30 yards towards open water from where we were perchin Saturday, I was sitting near a 300' trot line, in about 4 FOW, and I saw a dorsal fin about 4" horizontal and 3" vertical, and in hindsight i should have thrown some topwater. I have a feeling it was a BIG striper feeding in the shallows.

Pics from Saturday:

Pics from Sunday:

Nice update, pics! Thanks, like to get out here with you all sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakmac View Post
                        That's a cool story, thanks for sharing. If you ever want to get acquainted with the Scenic Severn river I would be more than happy to share information that has been shared with me. I also need some fly fishing lessons, I purchased a fly rod at the beginning of the year and haven't had the chance to use it once. Mark has offered to give me some lessons but life this year has been hectic. I really need to learn because I have a fly fishing trip in NJ in October.
                        I can show some fly rod techniques Brother. Let’s get out sometime before you go fly fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoye View Post
                          Nice update, pics! Thanks, like to get out here with you all sometime.

The pics from Saturday do not do it justice, you had to be there, it was BEAUTIFUL.

PS - Saturday we arrived at 545am to a truck and trailer already parked (there are 5 parking spaces max) and no trailers are allowed at this launch. Sunday I arrived at 6am and there were already 4 cars parked and crabbing, I could barely squeeze my F350 CC LB paralell to the guardrail.

Comment

Carrs Wharf 8/18

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                            The pics from Saturday do not do it justice, you had to be there, it was BEAUTIFUL.

PS - Saturday we arrived at 545am to a truck and trailer already parked (there are 5 parking spaces max) and no trailers are allowed at this launch. Sunday I arrived at 6am and there were already 4 cars parked and crabbing, I could barely squeeze my F350 CC LB paralell to the guardrail.

Last edited by Jmoye; 08-20-2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoye View Post
                              I can show some fly rod techniques Brother. Let’s get out sometime before you go fly fishing.

That would be cool. I have some time off in early September. I'll IM you, I'm in the Bowie area maybe we can meet somewhere.
                              Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Working...
                              X