Kayak Cat Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Cat Club

Tidal channel cats have been prevalent this year for many kayak anglers who post here but they have eluded my lures until today.

I launched into the Bodkin this morning from Downs Park. I caught this guy close to shore where the Bodkin meets the Patapsco:

P1040122.jpg

It hit one of my homemade 1/8 oz. jig spinners that I'm happy to say survived the ordeal:

Jig Spinner Cat.jpg

It took me almost the entire season, but I'm finally a member of the 2018 kayak cat club.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I've caught many a cat with traditional live bait, the trick is to land it on a spinner or soft plastic. At Carr's Wharf earlier this year, I was throwing a beetlespin 1/4 & 1/2 oz with cast & constant retrieve, and landed a 24" & 26" channel cats! Amazing that they will pound a spinner!!!

Glad to see you got some Bodkin pullage!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Welcome to the club Mark Your reeling in what you think is a citation perch and BAM, Ole Brownie shows up, it hilarious. Hey, pullage is pullage these days! Congrats

Yak67
      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

I agree with Yak67, any type of pullage these days is welcome. I’ve caught several catfish on beetle spins this year and have consistently caught them on fire tiger crank baits in the Potomac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Thanks guys. Their fight belies their initial contact with the lure which is subtle. My first thought was that I was snagged. White perch and stripers hit lures much harder.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Congrats Mark. Do you have any of those homemade jigs for sale?
            XXXMedium

Hobie PA12
            Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem (Snakehead Rig)

Comment

Great fish, Mark!
              I mostly caught most of my catfish on cut baits, but I got some of them on shad darts and rat-l-trap.

Comment

Love the report and photos Mark! Catching blue cats and channel cats when fishing lures is fun in my book. Something about those cats make me giggle like a little kid. That's a healthy looking fish.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I've actually caught two other catfish from powerboats this year on lures. The above cat was first this year from my kayak. I've never targeted them. They're always surprise catches for me. In fact my biggest surprise was a blue catfish in Mattawoman last month that hit a popper while I was bass fishing with Indian Head Charters. I knew from experience that catfish liked Rat-L-Traps, spinners and even a simple paddletail on a jig. But I didn't know they would hit surface lures too.

XXXMedium -- If I sold my lures and flies, making them would become work as opposed to a hobby. However, I'll be glad to give you a few. PM me and we'll make arrangements to get them to you.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

I have caught blue cats on just about every kind of lure at Mattawoman Creek...Rapala original minnow...XRaps, squarebills, jigs, spinners, soft plastics...you name it...they are a top predator and there is not much they won’t eat...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yep, last week I was fishing for rock and perch but kept hitting more cats on my beetlespins then perch.
                      https://youtu.be/JvJkOBt6bdI

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        Thanks guys.

I've actually caught two other catfish from powerboats this year on lures. The above cat was first this year from my kayak. I've never targeted them. They're always surprise catches for me. In fact my biggest surprise was a blue catfish in Mattawoman last month that hit a popper while I was bass fishing with Indian Head Charters. I knew from experience that catfish liked Rat-L-Traps, spinners and even a simple paddletail on a jig. But I didn't know they would hit surface lures too.

XXXMedium -- If I sold my lures and flies, making them would become work as opposed to a hobby. However, I'll be glad to give you a few. PM me and we'll make arrangements to get them to you.
                        Mark,

A couple of summers ago, while wet wading below the Conowingo dam chasing smallmouth, I was watching an Osprey work a fish and while I was taking a break I left my craft fur Clouser dangle in the top of a current seam. When the Osprey show was over, I lifted my fly rod to make a cast and there was a 16" channel cat attached to the end of it! Love those surprise fish.
                        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the CAT club. I too have been surprised at the amount of catfish that I have been catching in the Bay this year. Here are two of my outings where I landed a catfish on a spinner bait...lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsbBuZyUSTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRSrB_l7_qs
                          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE
                          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Lower salinity from all the rain = more catfish?

Comment

I feel like this achievement deserves a S|L badge of honor...

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                              X