No announcement yet.

Playing the Wind from the Downs Park Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary -- Definitely give the area a try. If I'm available when you do, I'll be glad to join you and share some spots that have been productive.

John's point about the wind is excellent. It's particularly important to kayak anglers because the wind can severely impact our pedal or paddle to the waters we wish to fish, the direction we troll or where we set up to cast. Ultimately, our safety could be at stake due to the wind. I look at wind forecasts before every outing, not just when I go to Downs. They give me an idea about what areas will be accessible (which shorelines, coves, rivers and creeks will provide leeside protection) from a given launch. I'll even alter the rods and lures I carry depending on that expectation. When I get to the launch and find the forecast is wrong, I'll alter my planned route. But that doesn't happen often. The velocity of the winds may differ from the forecast but I've found the direction predicted is usually accurate.

So find a good forecast tool and use it to formulate your plans before you reach the water. And then where you arrive and assess the actual situation, play the wind to your advantage.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X