Toggin/Speckin Ocean City Sunday 10/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Hokie.
    I think we can try inside and out because the wx forecast is looking good. Winds predicted to be 5-10 mph. In fact, the whole weekend is looking good. Hope they're right.

I just finished tying 10 rigs
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      Have 15-20 rigs pre-tied? I better start tying tonight.

If you can make it, RD, glad to have a toggin' partner come along. I plan to be at the M&G on Saturday, so I plan to be at Kipto early Sunday morning and fish all day. I'll drive down on I-95, so it'll be a four hour drive for me.

You may want to check Bailey's bait & tackle shop at Cape Charles if you want green crabs.
      That sounds good, tufnik. Send me a PM and we can try and set up a time to meet. Always better fishing with someone.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Sitting in the Portland, Oregon airport reading this...been gone a week, wife will skin me if I don't spend the weekend with her and my Daughter...but it is "prime time" for fishing.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I understand, Ron. I'm sure you'll make up the time when you have the chance to fish again. Meanwhile, if I hook up, I'll think of you

I plan to be at Kipto before 7 am Sunday, Raven. Depends on traffic, errands, etc. So, I'll probably see you on the water sometime in the morning. I'll be in a yellow Outback. What kind of yak will you use?

Comment

Ill be in a Olive Outback with a Ravens sticker on the side. I am going to drop by Chris's bait and tackle at 7 sharp, so I should be there by 8.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks, Red.

Video showed the Power Pro broke the easiest That's what I have on my Calcutta 400.

I'll have to use my Saltist conventional because it's got the strongest mono at 25#. Maybe I should re-spool with heavier mono.

Set the hook? I'm using Rob Choi's suggestion, circle hooks, so the fish should hook itself, no?
              Tufnik, are you driving down Sat or Sunday? Are you staying in a hotel or driving back in the same day?

Comment

Going to drive down late Saturday afternoon. Stay in hotel. Fish Sunday. Maybe sleep in car, then drive back Monday morning.

Comment

Ouch.... that is too much for me...... good luck. Let me know how you do....

Comment

Have 15-20 rigs pre-tied? I better start tying tonight.

If you can make it, RD, glad to have a toggin' partner come along. I plan to be at the M&G on Saturday, so I plan to be at Kipto early Sunday morning and fish all day. I'll drive down on I-95, so it'll be a four hour drive for me.

You may want to check Bailey's bait & tackle shop at Cape Charles if you want green crabs.
                    no green crabs in Va, only local blue crabs. GCs are outlawed in Va

Comment

Tufnik,
                      You need to let me know how you did. I got caught up late tracking a deer Saturday night and did not make it back to Salisbury in time to tie rigs, load up, etc. I hate rushing and being unprepared so I elected to fish the OC inlet instead.

I put over at the marina where the M&G was held and made my way over to Skinky Beach just to the left when you enter the inlet. As soon as I arrived there was a pontoon boat anchored just off the beach pulling in 18-20 inch tog left and right. The problem is my Hobie anchor decided it wasnt going to cooperate so I couldn't hold bottom. It is about 20ft and I was struggling. I moved in closer to the rocks and anchored there, but only caught one 13in tog. The current really rips through there. Once the tide got moving I was at its mercy. I had to wait until it stopped before I could get back. I couldnt fish either because I couldnt get anywhere near the rocks due to the current. So basically mother nature kicked my rearend last night and I had a tough go at it. Sometime this week, I may put over and fish for an hour on each side of the low tide before it gets too bad. One my way out at low, the current was manageable.

A little piece of advice though. MD tide finder was off by approx 90 mins on the tide. It predicted high tide at 5:38 and at 7:00 it finally went slack. I assume it has to due with the close proximity of the spot to the ocean and the fact that where I was is right in the channel.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                        Tufnik,

A little piece of advice though. MD tide finder was off by approx 90 mins on the tide. It predicted high tide at 5:38 and at 7:00 it finally went slack. I assume it has to due with the close proximity of the spot to the ocean and the fact that where I was is right in the channel.
                        The bay in OC is always 1.5 hours behind the tide table for the ocean side, due to the amount of water coming through a small inlet.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                          The bay in OC is always 1.5 hours behind the tide table for the ocean side, due to the amount of water coming through a small inlet.
                          Thanks. I wish I would have known that yesterday. So this may be a stupid question, but if the tide table says 12:30 PM low, does that mean it is actually slack current at 11:00 AM?

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

You should also check out the current tables too. They predict when the current is at max flood and ebb as well as slack.

Comment

Saw other yak fisherman at Kipto, but no olive Outback. You didn't miss much though. Togs didn't cooperate yesterday. Will post a report on Waters Beyond.

Not sure where this Skinky Beach is. Sounds like I'd like to try it, even though it's a three hour drive (vs 4 hr to Kipto). If the current is like the OC Inlet, then it's just too strong to overcome. Maybe the best time is to try around slack tide. Or maybe you could find another area with togs out there. I heard there are togs at Lewes, but I'm not sure exactly where.

Comment

Sorry to hear it didnt pan out for you, but after the butt kicking mother natire put on me this weekend, Im glad I didnt make the trip down. Maybe in a couple weeks.

If you want to take the drive down to OC I'd definetly go again. If you are driving east, into OC across the Rt. 50 bridge, Stinky Beach is on the western side of the inlet about 200 yards down. A long rock jetty lines the elevated beach.

According to a guy I was chatting with, the rock jetty has eroded over the years and extends into several feet of water. The tog seemed to be concentrated in deep water, well off the jetty itself. Slack tide would be a must to fish there. If I did half as good as the boat next to me I would be one happy camper.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X