Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you see this?
    http://www.coastal-fisherman.com/

A guy caught a 17" tog. Togs being caught at Martha's Landing (I don't know where this is) and south jetty (I think it's the OC south jetty).
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I think where you wanted to be was CBBT yesterday, RobChoi caught 21+ tog over 15 inches. http://www.kayakwars.com/anglerprofi...?anglerid=1185

All the photos are time stamped so you can tell they were caught yesterday. I'm sure Rob will post a link to his blog as soon as he finishes his report.

Comment

The inlet is just south of the amusement parking lot. The south jetty at the inlet is part of a sandy beach area, which is across the water and southwest of the amusement parking lot. If you're talking about the south jetty, yes, I've fished there before. Between slack time, current is very strong. A lot of boats fish the inside and the outside of the south jetty. Didn't know togs roam there. There was a M&G there a few months ago. Boat launch is up the channel at Fisherman's marina at Golf Course Rd and 626.

Comment

togs are only there in colder water, fall and spring/ early summer

Comment

Matt,
            When people yak fish at CBBT, is it the east side tunnel?
            Where do they launch from? Kipto park?
            How long is the yak trip from launch to the CBBT fishing area?
            How deep is the fishing area?

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              Matt,
              WEst side, supposedly a launch right at the base of the bridge from the beach I believe. I haven't done it, but hope to the end of next week!

It's like 2.5-3 miles to the 1st island, but I dont think you have to go that far for tog, sheeps, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                Matt,
                The closest tunnel is tube 1 between the 1st island and the second island.
                The CBBT Launch for the 1st island and the tube is from "alexander's on the bay". It is 3 miles from the launch to the 1st island usually taking anywhere from 40min-90min depending on tidal flow and wind. Around the island there are several different depths on the eastside of the tube on the northeast side of the island there are two holes 45' and 90' over the tube itself it ranges from 3' next to the island then it slopes down and away towards the second island. The tunnel tube is covered in large rocks much like an underwater jetty.

From Kipto the closest section of the CBBT is called "highrise" it spans the baltimore channel. This area has stronger current than that at the first island but i have very limited experience on that side of the CBBT.

That said the journey to the 1st island is not that bad. Yes it takes awhile to get out there however there are several drop offs and holes under the bridge on the way that hold fish. Usually Ill stop and fish about halfway. When Fishing the Tube there are some serious Rips and current at peak flow around the outside edges of the island. If you fish in the rips vertical jigging you need at a minimum 3oz to hold bottom (or come close). Casting Rat'l traps and spoons into the rips usually results in small blues.
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Twenty years ago a Navy Amphibous ship was blown through the CBBT by a storm dragging all of its anchors- about a mile off the beach- it cut the bridge in two and dropped a butt load of bridge concrete, broken pilings, bridge deck sections, etc. right there on the bottom creating a really nice artificial reef for Togs and bottom fish...that is why there is good fishing about halfway to the first island- all the locals know where it is.
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-25-2011, 10:45 AM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                    togs are only there in colder water, fall and spring/ early summer
                    I caught togs all winter long on the CBBT- a twelve pounder in early February- so they slow down some in cold weather but they don't leave-I've fished the Bridge tunnel hard for twenty some odd years (from 1971 through 1993) I moved up here in 1993 is the reason I only fish it occasionally- I still have fishing buddies living there that invite me to come and go fishing with them... and once in a while I get the time to go out and fish it again-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                      You should also check out the current tables too. They predict when the current is at max flood and ebb as well as slack.
                      Can someone please post a link for the OC Inlet that provides this information? I checked on NOAA and can find the current information for every other place except there. Thanks in advance.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I never check tides just fish all day.

Www.tides4fishing.com
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

if i understand,- you were anchored and had to wait it out till current eased enough? how long did you sit??

my understanding is that slack doesn't have to occur at high or low tide marks. that probably only happens at the most distant points of river/bay from the tidal source. i can't say i understand it 100% but i relate it to water just pouring thru (current) at a given level (tidal height) to fill another place (the rest of bay, or ocean as the case may be).

is there such a thing as current tables for the OC inlet??? if yes, pls post a link - thanks.

i think me and the fish would find this info more relevant than the time that water level reaches H or L. otherwise, i'll go with 90 min lag for slack - thanks much.

Comment

Thanks, Pinch. Never fished CBBT, but I think I'm going to fish there soon.

It looks like a public parking lot next to Alexanders, not parking for the restaurant, right?

Comment

Im pretty sure the lot is the restaurants lot, but there is plenty of street parking there.
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

If the weather is good this weekend, I'd be game. Following weekend's wx may not be good.

Comment

Working...
                                X