No announcement yet.

Occoquan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice fish, gents. I'm envious of the pullage. I'd love to get one of those nice flatheads.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Looks like another spot I need to get to soon! Nice fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakfisher View Post
        Great pics... Photographer must be a pro. lol.

I can't stand Cats but it would have been fun to pull up a 50lb'er
        One of the best in the biz for sure.

I have the same feeling about them, but I feel like since we have some huge ones available that I might as well try for a monster.
        Used to fish more.

Comment

Great day on the water, I caught around 7-8 crappie between 8-10.5 inches, 2 LMB at about 12 inches and a bluegill at about 4 inches.

Comment

Saturday February 4th

hey guys

this is joe. i was in the gray vapor. it was great meeting the group that was out there. looking forward to filling coolers in the near future

Comment

Dang! I was very busy until 12:00PM today.
              • Total 16 YP were caught by boat-anglers on three different boats. YP were caught on Silver Buddy (silver or Gold) in 20-30’ of water. Though, Silver buddy may not work in Perryville, MD (up to 90’)
              • Meadeo caught 8-9 crappie and some LM
              • Lou caught 8 crappie and some LM
              • PotomacTide caught 8-10 crappie, some LM and a Cat
              • Readfish12 caught a nice blue cat
              • CB Kayak 02 caught 7-8 crappie @ 8-10.5 inches, 2 LMB at about 12 inches and a bluegill at about 4 inches.
              • All caught something, but I got skunked

We talked about:
              • How to catch snakehead that are schooled up but timid and with the locked jaws – soft lure on the bottom not the top water lure
              • Crappie jig head - 1’16 – 1’8 oz
              • Spear fishing CBBT and the First Island, and Breath Holding practice
              • Dickerson Power plants by Potomac River - a good number of Crappie @10-12 incher were caught in the deep channel a week ago on Jan 28-29
              • Getting ready for Tog fishing in March or whenever the water hits 50F
              • Fishing Lake Anna warm side for VA anglers the following weekend - As of now I can fish on Saturday. I am posting a thread on Virginia sub-forum.

Fishing Log:

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

That's OK Tap-Tap. Your day will come.

Gonna have to get me a Silver Buddy.

Thanks for the report!
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

thanks for the vid - as close to fishing as i got today!

do you know what size/wt silver buddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                    thanks for the vid - as close to fishing as i got today!

do you know what size/wt silver buddy?
                    They are using 1/4 - 3/4 oz depending on the current/wind in 20-30' of water. I am not sure there is any Silver Buddy heavier thant 3/4oz

in 15-30' of water, I am wondering if I was jigging with the right fishing line. They are using 8-12 # test mono - which stretch by 30% when wet. i am using 15# braided. Perhaps I shoud have jigged slowly.

Boaters use trolling motors maintain the position, they may use a lighter lures.

King crappie always anchored when fishing for YP. I, always drift.

joe
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Thanks for sharing the video Joe. That looks like a nice place to fish with a lot of variety of fish. We are having a meet and greet on the susquehanna this saturday. Jean Robert Memorial Park launch at 9 am. Are you going to make it?
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

NIce vid!

Comment

Nice video, Joe. I wish I could've made it instead of skunking up the joint here. I think King Crappie and the other guys smear some Smelly Jelly on their Silver Buddies and Cicadas, which probably helps attract the cats.
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                            Nice video, Joe. I wish I could've made it instead of skunking up the joint here. I think King Crappie and the other guys smear some Smelly Jelly on their Silver Buddies and Cicadas, which probably helps attract the cats.
                            That is exactly what they were doing. A guy caught 10 YP said that was what he was doing.

Because my wife hates the smell of Smelly Jelly, I don't use it until I become desperate

joe

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                              Thanks for sharing the video Joe. That looks like a nice place to fish with a lot of variety of fish. We are having a meet and greet on the susquehanna this saturday. Jean Robert Memorial Park launch at 9 am. Are you going to make it?
                              Some of us, Virginians, were talking about fishing Lake Anna or Occoquan last Saturday. I will be with them this coming Sat.
                              Joe

Comment

1st try

Nice video. Clearly yellow perch are in the Occoquan but does anyone know how high up the Potomac the yellow perch run? Do they go clear up to Reagan Airport and Fletcher's?

Hopefully I'm not off topic. This is my first post.

Comment

Working...
                                X