BIG cats at bushwood (thanks surfdog)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
    Thanks for pic. Will try that area, Kevin. Suppose to be a 15+ mph NNW wind tomorrow, which will hit the spot you fished. To avoid it, I may fish north of the ramp along the shore.

I wouldn't mind getting some fresh bunker, but to save time, will try Fred's Sport in Waldorf because it's right along the way. Odd, it's called, "Fred's Sport and Furniture." Open's at 8 am, Sat. Was hoping for an earlier open.

If they don't have bunker, what's the next best thing? Spot? Herring?
    You can get fresh mullet (don't know how fresh) from Lotte. There is one near you in Chantilly, Va. I've caught blue cats on mullet and others have had more luck than me with it. You could pick up the bait tonight and get an earlier start tomorrow....
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      Thanks for pic. Will try that area, Kevin. Suppose to be a 15+ mph NNW wind tomorrow, which will hit the spot you fished. To avoid it, I may fish north of the ramp along the shore.

I wouldn't mind getting some fresh bunker, but to save time, will try Fred's Sport in Waldorf because it's right along the way. Odd, it's called, "Fred's Sport and Furniture." Open's at 8 am, Sat. Was hoping for an earlier open.

If they don't have bunker, what's the next best thing? Spot? Herring?
      Tuf,
      Bloodworms will work fine i'm sure. You can get them along the way down 5. YOU'LL see them advertised at various mini marts which are open 24 hours. Usually I do fine on night crawlers too, though not this week, or i stretch my more expensive blood worms by putting 1/2 a bw on the hook with a whole nightcrawler. That was the favorite bait Monday

As for spot and herring, I bet either would work fine. If you have herring i'd use that, nice and oily. You can always add a bw to that too

As for the wind, it will be a real pain given the direction it is supposed to be coming from. if you did anchor up behind that little point to the north you might get a little relief from the wind. Likely not too much from the wind itself, but the rolling waves should be inhibited some which is the real problem.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Tufnik, getting a later start does not seem to be a bad idea since the winds seem to be dying down in the later afternoon.

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 37. North wind between 8 and 10 mph.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 62. North wind between 9 and 15 mph.

Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 41. Northwest wind between 6 and 8 mph.

I decided my ankle is feeling much better with the rest that I gave it, so I will see you Saturday. I plan on meeting Metroman at the Wawa on 301 off of Rt 5 on the right heading south @ 7:30am or there abouts. I plan on using nightcrawlers and bloodworms. I am thinking of taking to topless crab traps for testing the crabbing in the Wicomico.

Comment

Will try to launch 8-9am. If it gets too windy, will come in to rest and watch you crab. Then maybe head back out in the pm. Glad your ankle is better. See you out there.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I got a bunch of cut shad for tomorrow. I got the fish from the international market.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I love Bushwood. I wish I can fish. I am working until Sunday evening straight.
              Can anyone fish for croaker for the heck of it? I am wondering if croaker arrived early this year.

I usually fish for croaker in the first and second weekend of May. But a few times croaker came in March.

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Quite a day! Congrats!

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                After reading Surfdog's post, I decided to try Bushwood wharf today in the yak. I decided to fish primarily for catfish but dangle a speck rig with bloodworm bits and see if I could get that lucky first croaker and the $50 prize at the Tacklebox.
                I paddled out the ramp, past the crab pots towards the point. The light winds gave me a chance to test my new anchor trolley. I searched around for the supposed patch of hard bottom without any luck...and no bites. Since they were catching from the pier, I assumed I was out to deep. I moved amongst the crab pots and added blood worm to both my night-crawler rig and the one baited with squid. I like to float my baits with a spin-n-glo ......the change of location got immediate results.
                over the next hour I caught 5 blue catfish, the smallest at 22 inches and the largest around 28. It was lots of fun and they did put up a tussle.
                Here is a great pick of the biggest of the group.
                I just finished a big meal of fried catfish, johnnie cakes and spinach!! Yum! I like blues better than channel cats.

Comment

Guys, the winds actually died down to near 2 mph this afternoon here in Lexington park.
                  first croakers caught here yesterday and they are catching a few crabs, but they are sparse I hear.
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                  X