No announcement yet.

Bushwood Report 4/15/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno why they do it like that. The first guy makes the slits, then after the fish is skinned they pop the head off, then fillet it. I wonder why they dont do the "cut-flip-cut" fillet method. That would avoid having to pull the skin.

But ya know...these guys do this 364 day per year, so I let them do their thing lol.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      Man, those guys are pretty fast. I have got to learn how to clean fish fast.

Hey, good job on the nice catches!
      Last year I went with a bunch of croaker. After scaling, each fish was cleaned in two cuts, and 1 swipe of the knife. Literally took about 6 seconds per fish.

1 cut to remove the head, 1 cut to split it open...followed by a sweep with the knife blade to remove all the guts. Unbelievable how fast he finished.

Comment

What kind of gloves are they using? Where'd they get them from? I use latex gloves, and maybe that's why it takes me more time.

Did you see the other video on your link? This guy fillets a catfish using an electric knife in 15 seconds.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

They have fillet gloves, so they dont have to worry about the blade running up against their hands.

Yes, I saw that video of the electric fillet knife. Now I want one! That guy has got some skill

Comment

Years ago I watched the fish cleaners at Hatteras Inlet who would cut up large offshore fish in very little time. Extremely sharp knives of the correct shape and flexibility make cleaning much easier. The sharp edge glides through the meat without needing too much pressure. You can get cut if you are not careful, but the filleting job goes easier.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Years ago I watched the fish cleaners at Hatteras Inlet who would cut up large offshore fish in very little time. Extremely sharp knives of the correct shape and flexibility make cleaning much easier. The sharp edge glides through the meat without needing too much pressure. You can get cut if you are not careful, but the filleting job goes easier.
              Yep, sharp knife is key. I sharpen my knife before everytime I clean a batch of fish and sometimes even halfway though.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Here is the video for Bushwood from Sunday the 15th.

http://youtu.be/_yr-d2pL51g

Last edited by moc; 04-17-2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Nice catches looks like fun...

How much do they charge per lb to clean catfish??

I clean about 300 a year and have gotten very good at it.

Meadeo
                  2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

You make pretty good videos, moc. Someday you'll have to teach me how to do it Thanks for sharing.

Meadeo,
                    If I charged to clean fish at low rates, it would still be expensive because of the time it'll take me to do.....lol
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

love fishing at bushwood, my go to spot for croakers and decent size cat

Comment

NICE video moc
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                          NICE video moc
                          I agree. Martin is becoming a skilled videographer to go along with his fishing talents.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                          X