Fletcher's :: Sunday 4/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletcher's :: Sunday 4/22

Since the weather was nasty, I decided to go fishing. I headed towards Fletcher's and launched around 3:30, in a driving rain.

I wasn't sure what I was getting into...

Shad were jumping everywhere, and my fishfinder was lighting up.

A few shore fisherman were targeting them.

The first thing I did was lose my new anchor... AGAIN! Last week at Fletcher's I snagged my anchor and had to leave it there. This time, I didn't clamp it right and it came loose and sank, along with the float that was supposed to prevent this. In the fast flowing river, I knew I was screwed.

I spent the next 2 hours snagging because I was drifting and dragging my lead along the bottom... and looking for safe rocky harbors to take shelter in and try to stay put.

I managed to catch one cat from the yak, a nice 24", but I couldn't get a pic because it had pulled me out of my harbor and I was drifting fast towards rocks by the time I had it unhooked. But here I am fighting it!

So, I decided to go to shore. I pulled my yak up on a sandy beach on the VA side and used it as a really big rod holder. Several times, I had to scramble to catch the expensive rod holder before fish pulled it into the river.

From shore I caught 4 more cats, including a nice 27" blue, 4 perch (that I used as bait) and a huge rockfish (see photo below).

I'm pissed because I got some big pullage on the live perch, but could NEVER get a hookset. I was using 5/0 circle and these huge J hooks I have. Hooking the perch in the back or through the eyes. At least 10 times, something took the live bait. I let the line go out and slowly applied pressure to let the circle do its job, but every time the behemoth that had eaten it let go. A couple times, I tried setting the hook hard... same result. Argh! Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

When I got home I was pretty wet.

(I did not use the striper as bait. It was foul hooked in the eye.)
    Last edited by chex; 04-22-2012, 09:45 PM.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Wow! Can't believe you went fishing today, but way to make the best of extremely tough conditions especially after sacrificing another anchor to the potomac!

As for the missed hook-ups, maybe next time try a harness with two hooks or use a big treble hook. It also may be something about perch in general, I've had trouble getting hookups on perch too in the past.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Wow, what an adventure. You may be a yakin' fool in the rain, but you dang caught fish! Thanks, I enjoyed the report.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Shady: I dunno man... yeah, maybe the perch... they've got those spikes... next time I'm gonna cut them off. But the damn beast has obviously got the perch in his mouth. I can feel it, and it's pulling HARD. I can see the line moving through the water. And then I apply pressure and... poof, nothing. And every time this happens, my poor live bait takes a hit... it can only take a couple of these before it's dead.

Tuf: Anytime. You should come with next time. And being a yaking fool is just what I wanna be.

Plenty of cats there. I saw a poor 30" blue floating in the water, still alive, tangled in some line... I tried for a short time to save him, but couldn't get to him. I figured DNR would thank me for letting him die.

I got so many hits. Half the time I was busy (undoing a snag, tying a new rig, untangling a mess, avoiding rocks) so I missed a bunch. Got broken off twice.

Nightcrawlers on a friggin 1/2 oz jighead... anything heavier gets snagged. Put it in, within 5 minutes you've got a cat knocking.
        Last edited by chex; 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Dang you're crazy...I like it!
          Nice set of fishies there. Sorry about your Lost anchor. Did you tie it the way I described last time?
          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
            Sorry about your Lost anchor. Did you tie it the way I described last time?
            Yeah I did!.... but it didn't matter because I forgot to tie it to the boat...
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Hard Core!

I love the report and photos! I'm also digging your Revo 11. What's your take on that boat? I'm on the lookout for a used Hobie and the Revo 11 is catching my eye.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                I'm also digging your Revo 11. What's your take on that boat? I'm on the lookout for a used Hobie and the Revo 11 is catching my eye.
                I've never had another yak (other than the huge Oasis), so my take on it is probably narrow-minded, but I love it. My biggest reason for getting it over a 13 or one of the fishing Hobies is the weight. This one's pretty much at the limit that I can consistently lift above head for cartopping. I wouldn't mind a bit more accessible storage near the cockpit.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback

Comment

That's hardcore, Mike. I wanted to fish Sunday, but we had some driving rain here that was well beyond my limit. Nice work on the cats and monster stripers, too.

As for your circle hook issue, I would definitely go bigger. On our trips to the Mattawoman, I was using 7/0 circle hooks and still missed fish. For using big baits like whole perch, I would use an 8/0. A Kahle hook might be another good option. Of course, none of that matters if the fish grabs the bait but not the hook.

For anchors, you might want to pick up a wreck anchor next time you hit Oceans East. I was thinking of making one for rocky river fishing.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Man Mike, you are a fishing mad man. I like that too. The thought of fishing in the rain was tempting since I did not see any thunderstorms and I know the fish sometimes feed aggressively in the rain....I guess you proved that to be true. Excellent job and sorry you lost another anchor. You pictures were great and I may go fishing in the rain the next time.....maybe during a light drizzle....

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

Going to BPS to get bigger hooks, treble hooks, and some flat sinkers. I'm on a mission to catch a huge cat.

Wreck anchor huh? Will look into it.
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback

Comment

It is pretty easy to make a wreck anchor out of 1/4 inch rebar if you have a welder or a friend who welds.

I don't use any thing smaller than a 7/0 circle hook on hunks of bunker.
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Chex - Those are some hardcore pics man! Anyone who says you're not dedicated doesn't know their head from a....

There are some big fish at fletcher's for sure. I read a post a while ago where a fisherman said "we're using cut bait about the size of a grill cheese sandwich."

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                            There are some big fish at fletcher's for sure. I read a post a while ago where a fisherman said "we're using cut bait about the size of a grill cheese sandwich."
                            I just got back from BPS where I bought some hooks that'll hold a grilled cheese sandwich. 8/0 circle and 10/0 circle and some treble hooks to tandem rig my live baits. I'm looking for that big one. I need to catch it from the yak and not from shore, because I'll have to follow it around for hours until it gets tired.

Also got disk sinkers which i've read are less likely to snag.
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback

Comment

Udm

Chex, that's some hardcore fishing. Big ups!!!
                              Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
                              Stealth Green Tarpon 140
                              Orange Koho Perception

Comment

Working...
                              X