So much for Trophy Season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for Trophy Season...

With the cold spells and rain the Stripers seem to have stopped eating or disappeared. I spent 6 hours trolling (boat, not yak) off of Chesapeake Beach yesterday and got one 22 1/2" to show for it. We worked the whole water column in water up to 60 ft deep. The charter boats and resident fleet were having the same issue from the sound of it. I heard numerous apologies from captains to their clients regarding the lack of fish. Radio chatter all day was saying the same thing-no fish.
    Attached Files

Let's not throw in the towel, yet- we are supposed to have a week of warm sunny weather Nay-Sayer- I plan on fishing for trophy striper this weekend (or maybe Friday if I can manage to keep the day open)...I finally got the dreaded snakehead curse off the Ugly Ducking yesterday so I am good to go for stripers-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

It was a rough weekend thats for sure. Was on the water for 11hrs on saturday out of Deale. 3 throwbacks. Plenty of marks...just a case of lockjaw
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by nay_sayer View Post
        With the cold spells and rain the Stripers seem to have stopped eating or disappeared. I spent 6 hours trolling (boat, not yak) off of Chesapeake Beach yesterday and got one 22 1/2" to show for it. We worked the whole water column in water up to 60 ft deep. The charter boats and resident fleet were having the same issue from the sound of it. I heard numerous apologies from captains to their clients regarding the lack of fish. Radio chatter all day was saying the same thing-no fish.
        I was out on a boat trolling too around Breezy Point and Chesapeake Beach in the channels and only caught one 22 inch fish too. I heard the same thing that fishing was slow for the last two days. Marked lots of fish deep, but they had locked jaw.

Comment

same here as well, trolled for hrs on sunday with nothing to show for.....maybe it will get better in a few days

Comment

I went home to my parents this weekend and got my ole Tracker ready on saturday. Trolled 10 hrs outta Breezy Point from 30-80 ft all around PC and got nothing to show. I was pretty dissappointed because I know they knocked em dead last weekend. Dag on RAIN messed it up for us.

EDIT: Time to go get em off the Beaches of Assateague
            -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
            -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Originally posted by MDFishin View Post
              I went home to my parents this weekend and got my ole Tracker ready on saturday. Trolled 10 hrs outta Breezy Point from 30-80 ft all around PC and got nothing to show. I was pretty dissappointed because I know they knocked em dead last weekend. Dag on RAIN messed it up for us.

EDIT: Time to go get em off the Beaches of Assateague
              don't feel too bad, a lot of charters didn't get their limit also

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                Marked lots of fish deep, but they had locked jaw.
                Funny you should mention marking fish...for this trip I was with a buddy of mine who just bought his first boat. We were out in the channel and I asked what depth we were in, he told me it was 47 feet according to the chart. I asked him what the depth finder said and he proceeded to tell me that he hadn't installed the transducer, it was sitting in the well at the transom. We were trolling off of the charts in his 10 year old chart plotter that came with the boat. I knew it was not going to be a productive day at that point.

He also complained that his speedometer wasn't working and when we got back to the marina I noticed that the stinger was flipped up behind the transom.

Comment

It's near 80 or above 80 all week and Saturday starting tomorrow. The water has to warm from the air and sun. Be positive Brother, as you negativity is dragging me down!
                  "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

"Let's not throw in the towel"

i'm with ronaultmtd on this one - plenty of them out there.

Comment

Oh I know theyre out there, I was only upset as I will not get another weekend home to fish from my boat for atleast a month. Hopefully it doesnt rain more tomorrow. The fish gotta eat, they will bounce back soon enough.
                      -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
                      -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Rain is a double bladed sword- we need the influx of fresh water for a successful striper spawn- we need successful spawns for future trophy striper runs, but the cold rain definitely drops the water temps and can shut down the bite- might be nature's way of making sure the striper completes the laying of her eggs- she gets lockjaw until afterwards- Bill, help us out here. Any fish research on this?
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I never said I was throwing in the towel...I'm am rather tenacious. I'm just disappointed in the season so far. We skipped the killer top water action last fall since we never got that cold and frost, then we had kick-ass weather for most of the off season, now tis the season and it's colder and rainy. This is DRIVING ME NUCKING FUTS!!!!

With all of that said, I'll be fishing a rockfish tourney this weekend. I am also apparently maschochistic.

Comment

My dad and I were out Sunday morning and trolled into the afternoon. Beautiful day and we put a 34 incher in the box. Picked the fish up mid water right under the bay bridge. That was all the action we had but we were happy.

Comment

Yeah, right. Ok, I won't throw the towel in until I see some solid evidence that cows can be caught. I too jigged and trolled mucho hours only to get a fat egg.
                              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                              X