Mattawoman Creek Snakehead 06/26/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Creek Snakehead 06/26/12

I am posting this a little late but I was busy yesterday. My original plan was to start fishing around 6am and target lily pads during the outgoing tide. Well, I got to Mattawoman around noon and was forced to fish low tide the entire afternoon. Unable to reach the inner lily pads and grass due to the low water level, I decided to concentrate on grass beds and the grass shorelines which were mostly not submerged. I fished a black SPRO popper frog with a lake fork frog tail hook attached and a black/chartreuse buzz bait. I strongly recommend this tail hook. http://www.basspro.com/Lake-Fork-Tro...5010510/319606 It has increased my top water hookups. I knew it was going to be tough fishing during the low tide with most fish hiding down in the grass but I was determined. After about three hours without a single blowup, I began to question the frog but decided to stick with it since I had not even spotted a snakehead. I figured the fish were inactive down in the grass and it would only be a matter of time before I came across at least one (the idiot fish) snakehead feeding in the shallows around the lily pads during this time of day. Another hour had gone by and still no blowups and I had not seen a snakehead. I was even standing on my cooler at one point attempting to site cast for them. The water was only three feet deep and very clear but I saw nothing. A little while later I was working my frog and stopped it about five feet left of my yak. I heard something hit towards the back on my yak and I looked to see if it was a snakehead but saw nothing. As I was looking away I heard something to the left of my yak and checked back on my frog but it was gone. After the initial thought of WTF and then looking the fish right in the face. I reeled in the slack and set the hook. Instantly my rod went over but the fish did not get far. At this point the snakehead was only three to four feet from my yak and I was able to take up the slack and net him.

25in. 5lb. 8oz.

These guys are not fun to have in the yak with you. Their skull is very hard and it was even difficult to get my ice pick into his head. The snakehead also shook until he broke his bottom and upper jaws in order to get free of my fish grips. I have never had a fish break both their jaws, this guy really didn't want to give up. I was able to get my frog back without any damage, so I was happy about that. I continued fishing until 11pm without another hookup. Towards the end of the night I had multiple BIG blowups on my frog but each fish completely missed its target. It was a grind but completely worth it. I took the fish home and fried it up for lunch yesterday. The meat was white and seemed very clean with little to no smell of fish. I thought it was delicious fried and hope to eat more soon.

Attached Files
    Cliff Williams
    Hobie Pro Angler 14

Nice work on the SH! You have much more patience than I do when it comes to the frogs. I normally use them for about 30 mins and than switch lures. I have fished there multiple times and have yet to catch a SH. Which way did you head from slavens?
    Jeff B
    Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

Awesome. I don't think I will have the patience either But that fish has been elusive for me so far.
      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12 - Olive

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the tail hook tip... I've missed several fish blowing up my frogs and have yet to get a SH.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

We should make the goal for the M&G that everyone catches a SH!
          Jeff B
          Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

@beerums - I launched and went to the right.

I fished the frog for ten hours, my arms were dead at the end of the day.
            Cliff Williams
            Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Thanks for the report and congrats on the SH. Did that extra hook hang up in the weeds or spatterdock?
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                Thanks for the report and congrats on the SH. Did that extra hook hang up in the weeds or spatterdock?
                No, it hangs behind the other two hooks and skips off of cover. It can snag lily pad stems sometimes, but for the most part it is weedless.
                Cliff Williams
                Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Your quote...These guys are not fun to have in the yak with you. Their skull is very hard and it was even difficult to get my ice pick into his head. Has anybody tried the ice pick between the eyes. I use to dive and spear fish we wound run a the stringer through the eyes it did not kill them but they stopped moving around I have yet to catch a SH to try it...
                  Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                  Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Forgot to say they look great and can't wait to try them.
                    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

WTG on that Snakehead SAMwich Cliff! That's a species I am hoping to catch this season too!

Comment

Going back tomorrow morning. send me a PM if anyone wants to join me after work.
                        Cliff Williams
                        Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Hi...Cliff:
                          Mattawoman creek is one of my favorite spots....and I've catch a lot of snakeheads and bass, over there.
                          easy way to kill the snakeheads........just cut the gill arch, it will die almost inmediatly, but its a little bit messy (bloody0, but that will reduce the risk for you to hook yourself with your own frog...jeje.that happened to my with my first SH and I learned my lesson.....and Booyah Padcrasher Frogs, are the best and cheaper, compare to the Kooper's frog and they are almost identical....except for arms detail in the Kooper's frog.....

Comment

I recommend putting the snakehead on a stringer and then cutting the gills with a knife. Just throw it overboard and it will expire while keeping your yak clean! No need for ice picking
                            Green Old Town Loon 111
                            Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Way to go Cliff. Nice going.
                              2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                              2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Working...
                              X