No announcement yet.

Severn 9/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a diamond jig that I plan to use at the bottom of mine, I'll put up a picture of what I come up with.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Here's a couple of pic of trout bombs I made over a decade ago when grey trout invaded the Bay. Now I use them for wperch, stripers and blues. These are made from inline trolling sinkers. Weight ranged mostly from .75oz up to 2oz. Some are left round and some are squeezed flat in the jaws of a big bench vice. Of those I press flat in a vise, sometimes I press 2/3 of the body flat and leave the head round, and sometimes I squeeze the entire weight flat. The teeth on some vises will leave a cool grid pattern in the lead that sorta looks like scales.

Attached Files
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by yakersaltlife View Post
        Metro,

Are you just droping that straight down and jigging it up and down, or throwing it out and jigging it back to you?
        just vertical jigging.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

That's nice work HJS! They look really cool! I might put a little teaser on the bunker spoon see how fish like that! I have used the trout bomb rig we bought vertical jigging as well as just running it along the bottom. Only fish I caught running it on the bottom were catfish. Jigging it got me a few yellow perch, but all on the teaser fly not the trolling weight's hook.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post

After seeing those photos, I remembered that I had an old beat up version of that rig that had not seen the water in 5 years. I took it with me this morning to jig some oyster bottom in the Severn near the Weems Creek mouth. The wind and current were both nearly slack, so I was not able to drift much. I still caught a few perch and stripers in 20 minutes of jigging.

Thanks for reminding me how well that rig can work.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My theory as to why dropper flies work so well. Yesterday20, my bro-in-law and I fished the mouth of the Choptank from his big boat. We had a good day working over breaking stripers and blues (w/birds) and also deep jigging stripers/blues once they stopped breaking and settled to the bottom. MORE TIMES THAN NOT, as I reeled up a striper or blue from the depths, it would be barfing up ingested minnows. These hooked fish would be accompanied by a small school of mixed species fish of similar size that were rapidly mopping up ever single barfed up minnow. That’s one reason why dropper flies work, stripers & blues think the dropper fly is a barfed up minnow.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

You should rename your creations "Barfer flys".
                Hobie PA 12

Comment

Here are my creations:

Attached Files
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Ryan--If you hammer some inline sinkers kind of flattish and paint them pink or white and tie them up like you have in the pics there, they'll work great for weakfish, too.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                      Ryan--If you hammer some inline sinkers kind of flattish and paint them pink or white and tie them up like you have in the pics there, they'll work great for weakfish, too.
                      I actually did hammer the top one in the pic, sort of flattish and then sanded it a litttle to shine it up...
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                        I actually did hammer the top one in the pic, sort of flattish and then sanded it a litttle to shine it up...
                        shadyfisher, try to tie a dropper loop instead of the snap and also use flouro instead of steel leader . i use this rig in eastern bay with a 2 ounce sting silver and above that is a dropper loop with a fly fishing fly and then above that is a swivel it catches macs blues and stripers.

Comment

Working...
                        X