how to catch a pickeral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to catch a pickeral?

many reports of pickeral being caught. I havemany reports of pickeral being caught. I have tried the past few 3 days in blackwalnut cove ( and small tributary in between the tried the past few 3 days in blackwalnut cove ( and small tributary in between the south and severn river). All 3 days I have used mepps and live minnows under bobbers south and severn river). All 3 days I have used mepps and live minnows under bobbers and all I have caught is perch(which is still fun) but I really want to catch a pickeral. I and all I have caught is perch(which is still fun) but I really want to catch a pickeral. I have read j veil say that he uses gulp, and micro king spinners, and then live minnows, have read j veil say that he uses gulp, and micro king spinners, and then live minnows, but now under a bobber. When using the live minnow without a bobber do you reel fast but now under a bobber. When using the live minnow without a bobber do you reel fast or slow? And do you let the pickeral have time to eat the minnow simmilar to live or slow? And do you let the pickeral have time to eat the minnow simmilar to live lining?. I have tried at least 5 colors of mepps spoons and I have tried fast and slow lining?. I have tried at least 5 colors of mepps spoons and I have tried fast and slow retieves but no pickeral. I know pickeral are back ther ebecause I hooked one in the retieves but no pickeral. I know pickeral are back ther ebecause I hooked one in the summer on a small bucktail, but he bit me off . Please let me know what I'm doing summer on a small bucktail, but he bit me off . Please let me know what I'm doing wrong and any other tips on how to catch this fish. wrong and any other tips on how to catch this fish.

PS-PS-I am using a 5 5 st croix triumph ultra light rod with a shimano sienna 500 size I am using a 5 5 st croix triumph ultra light rod with a shimano sienna 500 size reel and I am using 4 pound test power pro and a 20 inch long 10 pound test flouro reel and I am using 4 pound test power pro and a 20 inch long 10 pound test flouro carbon leader . carbon leader .

Thanks in advance for the help Thanks in advance for the help

I have only started catching pickerel over the last year after getting a lesson from John Veil the Pickerel Whisperer...LOL. I find that pickerel can be in real shallow water like 6 inches to 3 feet. I look for grassy shorelines or coves. I find I have better luck when I find still water or water with not a lot of current. I would cast my lure almost to shore and jig my lure back and wham... it's pickerel time. My favorite go to bait for pickerel for me is a round 1/8 ounce jig head with a chartreuse 1 inch curly tail grub. That is what I have luck with on average. I also use the same grub and color on a beetlespin that works too. If the water is deeper, I have had luck with a 1/4 ounce jig head and a 3 inch white curly tail minnow combo. I hope that helps.

Comment

I wrote a reply to the same post you put on Tidalfish.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X