ComeOnFish gets his first pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ComeOnFish gets his first pickerel

I met ComeOnFish (Joe) at Jonas Green this morning. He had already been jigging the debris piles for a while and was ready to go find some pickerel. I had two tributaries in mind. We headed to the first tributary about 9:30 and found 1/4 of it covered in ice. Joe was fishing artificials and I fished minnows. Although he is a good fisherman, this was a species and technique with which he was not yet familiar. To add to the difficulty, with the cold conditions, the bite was very slow. About 10 minutes into the fishing, I found my first pickerel. At that point we split up to work separate areas. I caught two more small ones and found that Joe had caught his first pickerel.

Now that the ice was broken (an appropriate analogy this morning), we kept working promising areas. As the sun climbed and warmed the surface water layer, the bite picked up. I ended up with 8 pickerel, including one mammoth fish of at least 22". I had the fish at boat side, grabbed the leader, and lifted it out of the water. At that moment, the fish gave one last powerful lunge and spit out the hook. It dropped against the gunwale, but slid back into the water before I could measure and photograph it. Among the other fish I caught this morning were three 19" pickerel. They looked skinny and short in comparison to the big one that got away. Joe may have gotten the fish on film. About the same time, Joe had one strong fish that bit off his line near the side of his boat.

We felt that we had worked that tributary hard enough for 1.5 hours and headed for the other tributary. Part way there, we met aesiegel (Ed), who had already visited the second tributary. Ed told us that a large percentage of that tributary was ice-covered and was not really fishable.

All three of us spent a few minutes jigging the debris piles again without a bite. My recollection is that about this time last winter, the rockfish either left the debris pile or stop biting my lures. So perhaps they have moved off.

Ed and I called it a day, but Joe is a hardy soul. He now had the pickerel bug and wanted to try out some minnows that I gave him. I'm sure Joe will make a report later. Congratulations to Joe for getting his first pickerel. Now he is on his way to another fishing challenge.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John , I caught more pickerel today! I will write a report when I get home . Btw I caught them with mirrolures

Comment

Nice going Andrew. How long were the mirrolures?
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John- they were about 2.5 inches. checkout my report i go into greater detail

Comment

Here are my side details:
          I caught total 12 (6 on live minnow and 6 on soft lures). Two were 22 and 23 inches

The King Pickerel invited me to his pickerel spots. It was my first pickerel fishing.
          I tested some soft lures in addition to live minnow. I don’t think I can find the better place for lure test

I used an ultra light tackles (4’6” ultra light rod) and 6# test mono. I brought a reel with 8# test. But I couldn’t use it because of too much of the line memory. So I used the 6 # test mono only. I used a 2 foot 20# test fluorocarbon leader after loosing some pickerel. And John also suggested me add leader. Even with the 20# test leader, I lost two jigs.

I only used 1/16oz jig in the shallow water (2-6’)

Live minnow from John works well, no doubt! After caught 6 at 15-23” on live minnow, I tested soft lures.
          I learned that bright colors work for pickerel.

2” brown grub: Caught 1 out of 20+ casts
          Multi color (FireTiger) grub (Berkly PowerBait scented) – it comes with chartreuse, green and orange colors): Caugt 3 out of 20+ cast
          UltraBite by TriggerX: This one was interesting. It doesn’t swim well. Though I caught two nice ones (one at 22 inches) out of 4 casts

I am confident I can catch pickerel at the same place by using Berkely Powerbait and TriggerX UltraBite. I don’t think they will be as efficient as live minnow. But they can save me trip to the live bait store:

Here is my fishing log/report (FYI, The wine on the video is not real wine because I launched from a public park):

Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-06-2013, 01:15 PM.
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

WTG Joe!! Any luck at the debris piles? I was wondering if fish still schooled up around there over the Winter.

Comment

I updated my previous post with details

Thank you, John

Joe
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Joe -

Great video. I'm glad you had much better catching success after I left. I am not surprised that a good fisherman like you would be a fast learner and have good results. Your ability to catch a 22" and 23" in the same afternoon is very impressive -- I am waiting for a catching day like that myself.

But please don't set your expectations too high -- not all pickerel days are as successful as that one. You were in a place with lots of fish, relatively low fishing pressure, and I think the warming sun got the fish more active by the afternoon. Regardless, you did a great job.

On a related note, for those of you who want to learn a bit more about catching pickerel in tidal waters, I prepared a short presentation that I will give to the Southern Maryland CCA chapter later this month. I can email a .pdf version of the file to anyone interested. If you want the file, send me a note giving your email address.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Nice vid Joe, and congrats on sticking some really nice Picks on your first attempt!
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Excellent work, gents, and congrats on your first pickerel, Joe. Those were nice fish, too. Firetiger and chartreuse are my favorite colors for pickerel. I've been wanting to get up there for the past few weekends, but my daughter has had other plans.

Where are you giving the presentation, John?
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Great job on catching your pickerel Joe. That 22 incher was sweet. Keep up the great videos. I love seeing your videos when you post them since they are so informative.

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                        WTG Joe!! Any luck at the debris piles? I was wondering if fish still schooled up around there over the Winter.
                        Sorry for the late response.
                        No luck at the debris piles. The most fish were on the edge between flats and deeper part. I cast the baits in such a way that the baits travelled parallel or diagonally (not perpendicularly) to the edges
                        Joe

Comment

Nice going Joe!

By the way, apparently Pickerel is a delicacy in MI. Martin and I met a neighbor around one of the Severn river tributaries one day and she was surprised to hear that there are Pickerel in the area. She told us that they are a delicacy in her home state of MI. I thought they only lived in brackish water...
                          Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 02-26-2013, 09:31 AM.
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Great video. I'm going to have to go there and try it.

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

Great to here people are eating pickerel. Most of the forums turn their nose at eating pickerel like they are poison. When I fish loch raven, the majority of the fish I catch are pickerel instead of bass. Next time I might bring a stringer! Great videos Joe, I've seen them all....I will be there to support you when you get your Hollywood star....remember the little people.
                              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
                              X