Chased off by security forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chased off by security forces

I launched my kayak from Jonas Green park about noon today. The wind was whipping hard and stirring up 1-2 foot waves. I tried to paddle across the river to fish in College Creek. I could see a helicopter circling and a Coast Guard boat patrolling near the bridge. I assumed they were looking for a jumper or were doing drills. As I got half way across the river, the Coast Guard boat came over to me and told me they were enforcing a security perimeter and I could not go that way. I recalled that Pres. Obama was visiting Annapolis today for a while. I had to find another spot to fish, which meant a 25-minute upstream paddle into the big waves.

I fished one Severn tributary in which 60% of the areas where I wanted to cast were covered by light ice. The fishing resulted in a skunk, plus the wind pushed me around too much. By about 1:00, I saw three helicopters depart the area - this must have been the president leaving. I paddled back to where I had intended to fish the first time. This area was about 90% ice-free, so at least I had the access I needed. The bite was slow, but better than the first place. I ended up with 7 pickerel to 19" over the next 90 minutes.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

are you seeing a trend with these fish hanging out in 4-8' of water vs. up shallow and in on bank structure? I have been having more luck on drop offs 4-8' in the vicinity of downed trees and stumps which are much shallower. I am not fishing for these in the severn but a more northern tributary. I just wanted to see if they are behaving the same.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
      are you seeing a trend with these fish hanging out in 4-8' of water vs. up shallow and in on bank structure? I have been having more luck on drop offs 4-8' in the vicinity of downed trees and stumps which are much shallower. I am not fishing for these in the severn but a more northern tributary. I just wanted to see if they are behaving the same.
      Yeah I noticed the same trend today... didn't have my depth finder, but yeah the ends of the fallen trees.100_0441.jpg

Comment

thats.... so much yellow... lol
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

thats.... so much yellow... lol
          Just in case a hot chick walks by she won't miss me. lls

Comment

John,
            Was this you?
            Annapolis- Severn River.image.jpg

I work in Annapolis, near the Westin, and saw all the security. Someone sent me the link to the Capital's article.

The Coast Guard didn't understand that fishing is more important than Pres. Obama's visit to Annapolis? Just kiddin'!!

Comment

its the same in stoney creek been catching them all deeper off the end of piers 001.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by gafisherman View Post
                John,
                Was this you?
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]5553[/ATTACH]

I work in Annapolis, near the Westin, and saw all the security. Someone sent me the link to the Capital's article.

The Coast Guard didn't understand that fishing is more important than Pres. Obama's visit to Annapolis? Just kiddin'!!
                That is me with the Coast Guard boat running me off. Thanks for pointing out the photo. I found on the Capital website.

The photo does not do justice to the wave conditions. Most of the Severn had lots of whitecaps. I was concerned that while I devoted my attention to talking with the Coast Guard guy that a big wave might throw me around.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Most of the time I focus on depths from 0.5 ft to 6 ft. I usually prefer to work the shallow end of that range. Realistically, the bite is not as fast now as it was in Nov and Dec. One of my favorite places to target pickerel is a tidal tributary that has wide shallow shelves that drop off to 2-3 ft. In the middle is a deeper trough that goes to 5-6 ft. Each time I fish there, I make a full circuit casting to the shallows. Until a few weeks ago, that was where the fish were. One day in early Jan, I decided to use a heavier jighead and the larger minnows in my bucket and toss a few casts into the deeper middle section. I was surprised that I got more bites there, and many of the fish were larger.

That pattern has held on the past 3 trips I made to that particular site. Other tidal tributaries with much deeper troughs or channels probably do not work the same -- but I have not taken the time to experiment in those places.

Here is my theory on why more fish are in the slightly deeper areas at this time of the year. When the air is very cold at night, the surface layer of water (inches to a foot or so) will cool down a lot overnight and take much of the day to warm up. The deeper water is less affected by the air temp. The cold-blooded pickerel can hang out in the deeper water and experience less variation in temperature, and for certain times of the day actually be warmer there than at the surface. If they were in the shallows, they would experience a wider range of temp variation. The opposite can be true on a sunny afternoon. If you have a southern-facing shoreline with a dark-colored bottom, the shallows can warm up quite a bit by mid-afternoon. This can attract baitfish, and in turn the predators. I have had success targeting pickerel in those locations some sunny winter afternoons. However, with today as an example, it does not always work that way.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

gtfoh.jpg
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Deep Thought

Deep Thought

Three things popped up when I read John's report:

First, I like the Coast Guard. I was approached by the same Coast Guard vessel twice one day. They thought an idiot was in danger in 3-4' wave.

Secondly, were they (coast guards and secret agencies) armed? Would they arrest me if I was armed while fishing? Am I not the same citizen who has the same right/needs?

Thirdly,
                      I thought I treat all fish equally. But I eat fish I like and release fish I don't like.

Man, I like this one - "I eat fish I like but release fish I don't like"

Joe "the greatest philosopher"
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM.
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        Deep Thought

Thirdly,
                        I thought I treat all fish equally. But I eat fish I like and release fish I don't like.

Good one Joe. But what is the creel limit on unarmed kayakers during presidential visit season?
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                          Good one Joe. But what is the creel limit on unarmed kayakers during presidential visit season?
                          That’s too deep… That is a perfect topic inside a 1976 AMC Pacer (or Gremlin) near National Airport
                          Though I think,
                          DE: 6
                          MD: 8
                          VA: 4
                          TX: 0 – no unarmed kayakers
                          AK: 0 – the same reason
                          North Korea: No creel limit
                          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                            Deep Thought

Three things popped up when I read John's report:

First, I like the Coast Guard. I was approached by the same Coast Guard vessel twice one day. They thought an idiot was in danger in 3-4' wave.

Secondly, were they (coast guards and secret agencies) armed? Would they arrest me if I was armed while fishing? Am I not the same citizen who has the same right/needs?

Thirdly,

Thank you master Joe......your disciple will endeavor to put your words into action.....lol
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Looks like the Coast Guard was practicing "catch and release" with you.
                              You are a brave man for going out when it is that choppy and cold on the Severn.

Comment

Working...
                              X