02/18/2013 Shore Fishing the Pauxent For Yellow Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02/18/2013 Shore Fishing the Pauxent For Yellow Perch

I was debating on taking my kayak out today to explore the Patuxent River for yellow perch between Wayson's Corner and Jug Bay. After not being able to locate another kayak fisherman who was available on President's Day, and also seeing that the morning temperatures were going to be 24 degrees, I decided to take John's (SurfDog) up on his offer to meet him and GradyBlack (Mike) at Wayson's Corner for some fishing from shore. We met at Wayson's at 8:00a, high tide was expected to be between 10:08am and 10:30am. When we got there the water was still pretty low. I noticed the floating sheets of thin ice on the surface that occasionally could snag your line. We fished with my left over minnows, night crawlers, green worms, and grass shrimp. There was not a perch or fish to be found. So far, the force of the skunk was strong. We decided to hit another area about 2/3rd of the way down the river towards Jug Bay. We say one boat out in a channel pulling up a perch once in a while. We decided to leave that location after not even getting a nibble and headed to a launch at Jugs Bay where I fished before in the past. Mike decided to call it quits and head home. John and I decided to fish Jugs Bay, where we finally got rid of the skunk. I threw a top and bottom rig out with some night crawlers into a channel. Within 10 minutes I caught a channel cat about 10 inches. Soon after that John caught an 8 inch channel cat. Our skunk were gone for shore. We started to catch fish around 12 noon. I proceeded to catch 9 channel cats and one 22 inch blue cat to my surprise. I did not call him a SAMICH, since I decided to take him home and make NUGGETS out of him. During my time fishing I even had a double header of little catfish. John caught several channel cats and an old crab trap. One of his catfish had a nice size to it. By 1:45pm we started to back it up. It was warmer outside when we were fishing Jug Bay. The final temperature made it to 42 degrees. We did not locate any yellow perch, but John and I did manage some pullage.
    Attached Files

Glad you drowned the skunk. The perch should be piled up in the deep hole out from Western Branch. They'll be heading upriver soon.

Comment

The Western Branch was pretty dead too judging from the lack of any significant action by two boaters we saw in the hole and our six lines that were in the water there.

Comment

you just saved me a long pedal

Comment

Thanks for the report. I was wondering how things were moving on there.
          -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Any advice? for shore fishing at this time of year? minnows? nightcrawlers are the choice of bait? i was thinking fishing the Severn river around little round bay? anythoughts?

Comment

The pic of John with the trap cracked me up. At least you guys got some pull age. Can't complain about catfish nuggets.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Hey MOC,
                That was a descent trip! You were fishing!. The next trip looks (always) promising. I think it will be good next weekend because the temp has been low. I want tomorrow be very cold for me for Fishing YP (Occoquan) and Stripers (Lake Anna). I guess I need to learn how to tell blue cat from channel cat first before I attempt to eat one

joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

LOL Bill, i should get a citation for that trap, light action rod with 8lbs test!! told martin to take it home and clean it up for re-use

Joe blue cats are a silvery blue color with a pinkish tinge on the dorsal and tail fin, nice looking fish. channel cats are brownish and nasty

Comment

Yeah, sometimes a blue cat looks like it should be in a fish tank since they can be pretty in comparison to other catfish.

Comment

Nice cats guys... too bad the YP did not join the party.
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                        The Western Branch was pretty dead too judging from the lack of any significant action by two boaters we saw in the hole and our six lines that were in the water there.
                        Martin, were you on the plantation grounds when you saw the Branch? I was told by people in the Jug Bay office that we could put a cartop (kayak) in the water there but had to park on top of the hill. Does that look doable?

Comment

Yes it is doable. Just have your kayak wheels. It said that it was #44 on the water trail. There is a shallow semi beach area to put in a kayak.

Comment

WTG guys. I hope to get out there with you soon.
                            2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                            2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Im heading there this next weekend after the melt down after this snow storm, anyone knows where is the pier i dont wanna get there lost

Comment

Working...
                              X