Fun morning on the Severn - Meet & Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun morning on the Severn - Meet & Greet

What a beautiful day for a meet & greet. We had at least 20 guys who fished in the Severn this morning. I counted 12 of us who launched from Jonas Green. Other groups launched from Tucker St, Truxton Park, and the Naval Station. We ended up with 14 guys staying for lunch. We even had 3 members stop by Jonas Green without their kayaks just to say Hi and meet some of the members.

Many of the guys who fished caught pickerel today. I heard no reports of perch or rockfish, at least not from those who came to lunch. Aesiegel and I had the home field advantage. We fished in a location that we know from experience holds pickerel. Ed caught quite a few before departing in mid-morning. I hung out longer and managed 8 pickerel up to 18.75". I had another 4 good bites that got off before I got them boatside.

At the end of the trip I dumped out the rest of the minnows in my bucket, giving them a reprieve. With pickerel season ending on March 14, I do not have any more trips planned between now and then.

I did not take as many photos as I had planned to. I believe moc took many others.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I had a good time fishing Weems Creek and happy to see some old friends. Bill outfished me like usual, but I did land my personal best chain pickerel at 18 inches. Great lunch at the barbecue joint! Here are a few pics including my humble fish
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Looks like it was a fun time, I wish I could have been there, I was on a college interview with my son at West Chester University. I hope to make next month !

Comment

Had a great time meeting new friends and fishing with old ones! I caught three today (my dreaded 3 fish limit is creeping up on me again!): 15", 17.5" and 18.25". Thanks again John for organizing it!
        Here are my pics....I think it maybe time for me to look into a new camera...

IMAG0519.jpgIMAG0520.jpgIMAG0527.jpg
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

We have those guys out here in western MD just a little biggerimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

Had a great time at the severn meet and greet thanks John for organizing. I was one of 4 that hit spa creek at truxton park not the most productive but most of us caught fish I had one 8" baby pickeral and one at 16severn meet and greet 001 (2).jpgsevern meet and greet 006.jpg the pictures not that good camera battery went dead and cell phone had alittle fish slime on it
            D Hawk
            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

You did a great job on hosting this M&G John. You were very thorough and provided a lot of good information.

The plan was to fish the tributaries off of the Severn at 8am. This outing was organized by John Veil, the Pickerel King. I got to the parking lot at 6:45am since we had a potential of 24 kayakers coming along with other groups who use the Jonas Green parking lot. It was 36 degrees in the morning and sunny skies. The wind was a little stronger than expected, at about 9 to 12 mph, but in the creeks is was almost non-existent. By lunch time, the temperature would clime to 55 degrees. 12 Anglers arrived at the parking lot including another Angler who did not bring a kayak but was checking out the rest of the yaks that arrived. I think he either just bought a kayak or was thinking of buying one. I decided to fish the northern tributaries on the eastern side of the Severn. I could only manage one 19.5 inch pickerel today, but he was fun pulling in. I caught him on an 1/8 ounce round jig head tipped with a live minnow on a slow retrieve. I tried spinners and jig heads with plastics but got no bites. The minnows seemed to be the bait of choice today. I ended up traveling 6 miles today.

We had lunch at the Red Hot and Blue. It was a great group and the table was full. John conducted the bucket of lure raffle. Enough anglers participated in the bucket of lures for John to break it up into three prize sets. It was a great time and I had too much food.
              Attached Files

Comment

Great time. thanks john for setting it up, well done. i got my 1st pickerel ever at 16" and lost one at the yak, landed on a slashbait, lost on a spinner, nothing with minnows for me on a jig head ( thanks donkey fish for the minnows!)

grilled and i hit up the bay bridge after red, hot and blue lunch, both skunked, but it was a pond. seriously, i think every time i have been skunked at the bridge on artificials, has been on flat days, but he tide was off and weird too it seemed.

i did end up with a sunburn on my face and neck as i always forget about sunscreen in the march.

2013-03-09_09-50-10_11.jpg580515_10151334139782916_751833516_n.jpg
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                  Great time. thanks john for setting it up, well done. i got my 1st pickerel ever at 16" and lost one at the yak, landed on a slashbait, lost on a spinner, nothing with minnows for me on a jig head ( thanks donkey fish for the minnows!)

grilled and i hit up the bay bridge after red, hot and blue lunch, both skunked, but it was a pond. seriously, i think every time i have been skunked at the bridge on artificials, has been on flat days, but he tide was off and weird too it seemed.

i did end up with a sunburn on my face and neck as i always forget about sunscreen in the march.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5900[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5901[/ATTACH]
                  Awesome pic of the bay bridge.
                  Sun Fishin'

Comment

Sun...where were you?
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Try the buff face shield, Stupidjet- I bought one when I was in Florida fishing the flats and wore it yesterday at Wheatly Lake- It looks like a mask you are wearing to hold up a liquor store but it works great to prevent sunburn- all the guides wear them as they are worried about skin cancer- an occupational hazard of Florida fishing guides-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Glad you guys had a good time!
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I had a great time too. Thanks to John Veil for organizing.

I only got 1 pickerel at 17" but that was all I needed. I caught him on a #1 Mepps spinner with plastic minnow. I was happy to show it to Coop who came over to see it, as he had never seen a pickerel before. Reminded me of last march M&G when Moc caught one and I went over to see my first pickerel. They are strange looking fish indeed.

The lunch gang was jovial as usual and the food was good. Another successful M&G!

sorry, no pics... brought a camera with dead battery
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

A few of the pictures in moc's post #8 look like Hobie advertising. You should send them to Hobie to use in their marketing campaigns.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                            X