03/17/2013 Potomac River Blue Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03/17/2013 Potomac River Blue Cats

Jim (Rockchaser) and I decided to do some fishing Sunday morning for some Potomac River Blue Cats. Jim showed me a launch spot at a park that was new to me on the Virginia side of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. We arranged to me at the park at 8:00am. I was still tired from working until 2:30am on Saturday and then fishing at Jug Bay later Saturday morning. However, if there is pullage to be had, then I must summon the stamina.... at least for a while. Once again, the weather was not bad. The winds were light and the temperature in the morning ranged from 36 to 38 degrees. The high temperature would only make it into the 40's. There was a 30% change of rain in the morning, of course I did not see any rain in the morning. The morning did not start on a good foot. I left my house without any minnows and worms. I had to turn around and drive back to get the bait that was in my garage. When I got to the park and met up with Jim, I realized that I had left my wallet and a few other items at home....just great. Determined to get some pullage, I launched with Jim off of the floating dock similar to G-Dock at the marina accross the eastern side of the Bay Bridge. We only needed to fish the first two pilings close to shore. I started catching fish within the first 10 minutes or lessin 25 to 30 feet of water. I fished until 12 noon, and then headed back in. During that time, I landed a big fat 33 inch blue cat that actually peeled some line. He was a big boy. I also landed the following blue cats: 24 inches, 22.5 inches, 21.5 inches, three 20 inchers, three 19 inches, two 18 inchers, 17 inch. The bait that I ended up using was fresh chicken tender strips. I never needed the minnows or worms. Jim also caught several blue cats including a large 29.5 incher. Jim fished for another 30 minutes after I left. I will be definitely coming back here in the future. The only pain in the butt is launching off of that floating dock. You must take care in launching and getting back onto dock.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by moc; 03-17-2013, 06:58 PM.

Thats awesome man!

I was out at the Severn River today, and got skunked (admittedly, I was mostly just trying out my new sonar). I need to get with you more experienced northern fishermen to see what the fish eat in this cold (to me) water! Anyways man, great report and good to see some people catching them!
    2013 Jackson Kayak Cuda 12 "Penny"

Comment

Moc, How deep were you fishing? I have been hearing that shallower with current is getting bigger blues. Saw a couple 50 lbers from near ft washington.

Kevin
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice going on the cats!!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I hope some of those made it to the frying pan/freezer Martin!

I gotta hit that place up.

Comment

Good day fishing there.
            2012 hobie outback
            2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

good going guys! I spent the weekend installing my fish finder so couldn't get out. Hope to test it out next week.
              Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I am glad someone caught some fish today. Nice cats fellas
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

We were fishing in 25 to 30 feet of water. They were fun to pull up. All of the fish were released. I was just going for pullage. I still have a freezer full of fish and crabmeat that I must try to devour before I start keeping some more fish. Thanks to Rockchaser for showing me the new launch spot under the bridge. This is one of the reasons that I like Snaggedline. I get to learn other areas to launch and fish. Thanks for the fishfinder rig Jim.

Comment

Who's trying to go there sometime this week?

Comment

if there is pullage to be had, then i must summon the stamina
                      lol.
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

That looks like all sorts of fun. Catching a Blue Cat is one of my goals in 2013.

Comment

Moc,

If you find the floating dock at the WW Bridge to be a pain, Belle Haven Marina is just a mile south of there. Parking can be tight but they do have two ramps. There are a series of water trails from the marina south where largemouth fishing can be outstanding on some days and you can most always find catfish.
                          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                          Predator 13

Comment

with rising water temps (48-49 degrees this weekend) we are on the brink of a "fishing outbreak" every where- once we hit the magic 50 degrees, the bite turns on and fish become more active- the amount of available daylight seems to be a trigger as much or more than water temps- big cow LM bass are in their pre-spawn mode- snakeheads were surfacing yesterday at Mattawoman Creek- saw a couple swimming next to the boat-
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                              Who's trying to go there sometime this week?
                              Let me know...
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X