St. Jerome's Creek-May 15- Wednesday afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Jerome's Creek-May 15- Wednesday afternoon

I had a all day conference in Southern Maryland wednesday, so you know I loaded my kayak in the truck- after the end of the conference I had planned to fish from Clark's Landing, but after checking the Striper seasonal map noticed the area was in the closed to fishing zone until today, May 16th. No problem, I headed south twenty five miles to St. Jerome's creek and launched at 4:45 p.m. into a stiff SW wind - peddled to the inlet- hooked up a nice striper and released it after putting it on the Hog Trough and taking its picture- dropped back the baits and started trolling- rod doubled over and started taking drag- an hour later I pulled a fifty pound cow nosed ray to the boat- got the lure back and released the ray- dropped the lure back and the rod doubled over again- another ray- after four rays- I threw in the towel and headed back to the launch- the creek is lousy with rays- you cannot fish without hooking up a big strong ray- and then the fight is on-

Oh yeah, during one of the epic ray battles, I lost my ACK Hog Trough-did not see when or where- it was just gone-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-16-2013, 11:26 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Sounds like a good outing despite the rays. I'd rather not have a ray or skate on my line but once in a while is exciting. Takes up too much time. I was hoping to see a pic of the rock. Do you launch at Buzz's Marina? Is Drury's Marina agood launch spot. I've been looking at at that location but have never launched around there.
    Hobie Pro Angler 12
    WS Classic Pungo 12

"Ocean - A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

OK posted the pix- Buzz's Marine in Ridge or the hard to find one off Fresh Pond Neck Road are where I launch in the creek- I wanted to fish until sunset yesterday but the rays were impossible to get away from- there must have been hundreds of them- I shifted to top water poppers but the fish weren't interested-and I was not going to drop another lure down deep-

Comment

gotta start killing those rays....I won't fish ST jeromes if they are thick there like last year.
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          OK posted the pix- Buzz's Marine in Ridge or the hard to find one off Fresh Pond Neck Road are where I launch in the creek- I wanted to fish until sunset yesterday but the rays were impossible to get away from- there must have been hundreds of them- I shifted to top water poppers but the fish weren't interested-and I was not going to drop another lure down deep-
          I went out for a few hours late in the day at Flag Harbor. Watched a t-storm cell approaching from the west for about 30 min before launching. The storm passed just to the south and I got on the water at 6:30. Spent some time getting use to the new yak and gear. Nothing was happening close to shore so I headed out to the channel buoy. Sun was going over the horizon as I approached it and saw a lot of marks on the ff once I was in the channel. Picked up a 19" rock in the first min in the channel on a rattle trap. The tide had peaked and there didn't seem to be much current. Picked up a 15 incher as I left the channel on the way back in. That was it.
          Hobie Pro Angler 12
          WS Classic Pungo 12

"Ocean - A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I am thinking of going out of Clarks Landing road this afternoon after I get home from work- welcome to join me-

Comment

oh man, the rays are here! I bet you weren't counting on such a tough workout. Good thing you got your lures back though. Were you snagging them in the fins?
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Thanks for the report, if I ever catch another one of those it's going to meet my grill.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                  oh man, the rays are here! I bet you weren't counting on such a tough workout. Good thing you got your lures back though. Were you snagging them in the fins?
                  Fins, back and the nose- four fifty pounders in a row- my arms and shoulders were stiff and sore this morning-

Comment

Thanks for the report! Sucks about the Hawg Trough... I don't know they wouldn't manufacture them to float!? I keep mine tethered to the yak with some string right in my tankwell.

Comment

For my Hawg Trough I took a pool noodle and cut it in half than Goop'd it right to the bottom. That way if I accidentally drop it, it will float!
                      Jeff B
                      Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

Working...
                      X