Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome going gents!

Edification Questions:

1) What's the most effective way to catch spot?
    2) What size&kind of hooks do you recommend for live lining spot?

Thanks Gents!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

the smallest long shank gold hooks you can find.
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
        the smallest long shank gold hooks you can find.
        To catch spot or to live line the spot for striper? I'm assuming to catch spot... what is the best thing to tip them with... BW or something else?

Just to clarify my second question above, when you want to hook a spot to live line in order to catch something bigger, what size hooks do you recommend and where is the best place to hook the spot? I know I can obviously google this stuff, but I wanted to get you guys' input through your experience.

Thanks Bro
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

You use bloodworms, but in DE I use a cast net. Not sure if it is legal in MD can anyone tell me if it is?

I hook them through the lips.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Size 6 circle hook just in front of the anal fin.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Nice fish. Looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

small hook like you use for catching blue gills/sunfish/etc. I think it's #2?

small piece of blood worm flavor fish bite works too. Find rip rap and they're usually there.

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                To catch spot or to live line the spot for striper? I'm assuming to catch spot... what is the best thing to tip them with... BW or something else?

Just to clarify my second question above, when you want to hook a spot to live line in order to catch something bigger, what size hooks do you recommend and where is the best place to hook the spot? I know I can obviously google this stuff, but I wanted to get you guys' input through your experience.

Thanks Bro

Comment

He said anal, LOL.....BTW Nice fish!!!

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                  Size 6 circle hook just in front of the anal fin.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

not sure if this is the same on the bay bridge side, but I have been catching spot in larger numbers in 12-15 feet of water out in front of matapeak. I noticed most people on the pier were hooking into perch. Maybe fishing in this range in front of sandy would produce catching some spot for live lining. I have been averaging 7 - 8 inch spot though. Maybe a little too big for live lining?

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
                    Fished the bridge today after work with Redfish. Thunderstorms cleared out so we were able to get a few hours of fishing. Caught a 23 and missed a nice feeesh who snapped my line. Redfish ended up with 25 and a fat 32. Also, caught some nice croaker up to 13inches. Fish were caught live lining spot and perch. Spot are still pretty scarce but they should arrive in good numbers in the next couple weeks.

The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Fun night for sure! I use small long shank hooks for the t&b rig (when I remember) or any small hooks with a piece of bloodworm fishbites or nightcrawler (sometimes this = more perch). For the spot I was using a 4/0 circle hook on a 2ft flouro leader, swivel to main line, bead, 1/2 egg sinker. I hook my spot in the upper lip and out one of the nostrils so that it lives longer and I can troll it around. When the bluefish show up I won't be able to slow troll it around so I'll have to either add more weight or hook the spot in the top or anus so that it swims straight down in the structure. Sometimes the rock will hit closer to the surface, sometimes in the middle of the water column, sometimes on the bottom - just keep moving it around. My normal method is to let the spot swim to the bottom, engage the reel, take a couple of turns, and then put the clicker on with the reel in free-spool. Depending on the size of the spot/perch I wait a few seconds and then engage the reel and crank.

I've been wanting to live-line since jbay so it was nice to go out and get my fix!

IMG_2341.jpgIMG_2343.jpgIMG_2344.jpg
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "fished the 4 way pilons" mean? Does this mean the 4th pylon from the shore?
                        Thanks!

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
                        launched from SPSP....fished the 4 way pilons
                        Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Where did you guys end up launching? Did you fish the east or western side? Nice going on the fish. I cannot wait to get back on my kayak when I get back in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish View Post
                            Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "fished the 4 way pilons" mean? Does this mean the 4th pylon from the shore?
                            Thanks!
                            Some pilons have 2 legs, others have 4... and there are a couple massive 1 foot pilons.
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Thanks Mike,
                              I am guessing they fished the 4 legged pilons?

Way to go on the stripers!

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                              Some pilons have 2 legs, others have 4... and there are a couple massive 1 foot pilons.
                              Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                                Where did you guys end up launching? Did you fish the east or western side? Nice going on the fish. I cannot wait to get back on my kayak when I get back in town.
                                Martin, we launched from a secret location that no one really knows about. I'm afraid I can't disclose anymore information......

Ok ok...j/k See post #12

Oh....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
                                Hobie Revolution 13
                                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                                X