Another productive trip on the Severn - July 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another productive trip on the Severn - July 10

The Severn continues to be loaded with bait and gamefish.

I kayak fished again this morning in the Severn following the plan I outlined in my post last evening. I fished in totally different areas than I did on Mon. I launched in Weems Creek and trolled the same four lines and reels I did on Mon. Instead of running downstream in the Severn, I headed upstream to fish two tributaries on the right shore and two on the left. Once inside the tributaries, I put the larger rods away and cast small spinnerbaits to the shorelines. The perch fishing was fast and furious -- I caught nice sized perch in all four of those tributaries plus in Weems on the way back for a total of about 50 perch. While trolling between the tributaries, I hooked about ten 12"-14" rockfish (no keepers today). Half of those came in 3 ft of water just outside a creek mouth, while the other five came in the middle of the river in 20 ft depth as I was paddling across. I saw no splashing fish and no particularly compelling marks on the sonar, but all of a sudden 3 of the 4 rods began shaking wildly.

Like Monday, I caught one 10" croaker in shallow water on a spinnerbait. I was drifting slowly and the croaker nearly yanked the ultralight rod from the holder. The other species I caught today confirms my catch last Friday -- there are some very small bluefish in the river now. That little 6" fish hit a trolled spinnerbait.

001.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Thanks for the report!
    If a 10-15" Blue is a "Snapper", would the one you caught be considered a "Nipper"?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
      Thanks for the report!
      If a 10-15" Blue is a "Snapper", would the one you caught be considered a "Nipper"?
      Whatever it is called, I made sure its teeth were not next to my finger.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

Nice report.

Congrats on another productive outing.

Mark
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Many people worry about falling into the water with sharks around. I worry more about falling into the water with a school of feeding blues!

Nice report John.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Big Chopper Blues in a feeding frenzy would worry me as I have seen these fish cut a 12 pound grey trout in half- but little tinker blues...not so much-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Thanks for the report!
              Perfect live lining bait!
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                Perfect live lining bait!
                According to the DNR regulations, the creel limit for bluefish is up to 10 fish per person per day, 8" minimum. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...c=recreational Whether you keep the fish to eat or use them for bait, they are subject to the same creel limit. A 6" bluefish would not meet the minimum size criterion.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

John - great report once again! I will be heading out there this weekend.
                  Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                  Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

"Whatever it is called, I made sure that it's teeth were not next to my finger."

Yeah, and I'd be concerned about laying any Blue over 12" across my lap in a measuring trough. lol
                    They do not give up, fight hard, jump, and, of course, manage to puke all over you.
                    But those snapping teeth are a bigger concern.
                    Another good reason to carry forceps, and mash your barb down.
                    Watching them shred a bucktail or cut a spot in half is enough to be a warning you.

Chesapeake Piranha.

Comment

bignose - thank you for the puke warning! LOL. Really though, your description is quite informative to someone like me who is not familiar with them.

...and there I thought the perch relieving itself on me was bad enough, now there are puking blues.
                      Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        According to the DNR regulations, the creel limit for bluefish is up to 10 fish per person per day, 8" minimum. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...c=recreational Whether you keep the fish to eat or use them for bait, they are subject to the same creel limit. A 6" bluefish would not meet the minimum size criterion.
                        You're right... brain fart... I was thinking VA regs. Seems I'm constantly having to look up the regs to remember the differences between MD and VA.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
                          bignose - thank you for the puke warning! LOL. Really though, your description is quite informative to someone like me who is not familiar with them.

...and there I thought the perch relieving itself on me was bad enough, now there are puking blues.
                          I have caught many small bluefish that have been gorging on silverside minnows. After I catch them and attempt to unhook them, they spit up the recently eaten minnows all over my boat. I have not experienced that on my kayak, but it is only a matter of time.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

It is amazing what a bunch of Blues do to the deck on the charter boat.
                            Lot's of scrubbing, especially after a 8 hour hot sunny day.
                            Almost as unforgettable an odor as scraping the barnacles off of the bottom.
                            I always thought that the idea was to get the chum in the water.
                            At least Perch poo doesn't stink!
                            The secret to calming them down is to place a towel over their eyes, and while holding the towel against their head, extract your hook. Works with Rock, too!

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                              It is amazing what a bunch of Blues do to the deck on the charter boat.
                              Lot's of scrubbing, especially after a 8 hour hot sunny day.
                              Almost as unforgettable an odor as scraping the barnacles off of the bottom.
                              I always thought that the idea was to get the chum in the water.
                              At least Perch poo doesn't stink!
                              The secret to calming them down is to place a towel over their eyes, and while holding the towel against their head, extract your hook. Works with Rock, too!
                              I used to do the night time bluefish party boats in Jersey. Spent one night fishing next to a guy who was "calming" giant gorilla blues with a ball-peen hammer. Worked pretty good. They sure do bleed all over the place though.

Comment

Working...
                              X