No announcement yet.

Another productive trip on the Severn - July 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big bluefish taste nasty- Havoline 30 weight high detergent motor oil tastes a whole lot better- fun to catch and they are terrific fighters on light tackle, but Menhaden are just as good on the table-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      Big bluefish taste nasty- Havoline 30 weight high detergent motor oil tastes a whole lot better- fun to catch and they are terrific fighters on light tackle, but Menhaden are just as good on the table-
      Have you ever tried smoking them? Done right, even the big 10 lb+ are excellent. It helps if they are properly prepared as well... bled & iced after catching, brined before smoking, and don't eat the dark meat.
      Brian

Comment

Absolutely must be iced immediately after catching. Bleeding makes for better taste for blues and rocks.

I don't let blues into the yak for obvious reasons.

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Would keeping them alive on a stringer also work? Then, bleed them and ice them back at the dock?
          2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
          Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

It is unlikely that you could get a decent sized bluefish on a stringer without losing digits.
            It is also unlikely that a bluefish would survive this for long. They would continue to struggle and thrash until they died of exhaustion.
            Bluefish have a very powerful digestive system, and as soon as they die it begins to break the fish down.
            In this heat, they need to go straight onto ice.
            Last edited by bignose; 07-16-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I enjoy small to medium sized bluefish fillets for the table. But I only eat bluefish the same day, or at the latest, the following day. When eaten fresh, I prefer the flavor to rockfish. I typically prepare them in a blackened style. I have not had good success with freezing them, so I bring home only enough for one dinner.

Also, when doing the filleting, I cut out most or all of the dark red fleshy part.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
              X