This donut isnt for breakfast... Hoopers Island 9/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This donut isnt for breakfast... Hoopers Island 9/6

I checked the surf from the beach @ SPSP just b 4 sunrise & I decided to seek more sheltered water. It's always too windy 4 me on my day off work. I paid the legal thief (toll) & drove east. Stopping at a couple spots along the way I caught wp, bg, LM bass, & crappie @ Wye Mills & a 2-ft catfish in Hillsboro. Eventually, I made it to Hoopers Isl. but not b 4 having to change a flat tire after running over some trash on the road getting there. I couldnt dodge the trash in the road as a truck was coming towards me at the same time....bummer....atleast my exhaust pipe is still intact! With no shoulder on the road to pull over I pulled into the driveway to an abandoned house to change the tire.... I found out that the owners live next door in the newer house.. They were cool. My spare tire looked a lil low so the kind folks at Ghottee's(sp) or however u spell it, gave me a blast of air..... so i could get back to fishing. Launching @2:30 til 7pm I explored the marsh and channel @ the 1st bridge, then I bb'd it by drifting under the bridge during the ripping out-going tide. This sheltered area was better for me than taking a dip in the drink by the cold front, windswept waters there. Something big snapped my line a few times. I paddled into the Honga and fished the west side. I shared the channel w/a big 20ft welded jonboat w/ a bunch of senior citizens...nothing wrong w/that.... Upon return to the launch, the seniors showed me their catch.... I was stoked to see big reds, horse croakers, a keeper dtriper, and a humongous black drum. Its stripes were kind of faded thats why i dont think its a sheepshead, plus, i didnt see the teeth which wouldve made ID easy. I only caught rockfish all day. My 1st cast landed a fat 14" rock. We celebrated our catch together drinking cold non-alcoholic bevs. Then I drove home slower than usual on the donut.... Good thing I had a donut!

Even with the flat, it sounds like you had a pretty good day on the water with a decent variety of species at the different spots. Congrats on the catches!

Comment

Sounded like a good day regardless of the catch and the flat. Next time follow the seniors.
      Laura (aka zeebyrd)
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

You still did good after all that. Good job.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Working...
        X