Maiden voyage on new kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden voyage on new kayak

I was hoping to get a trip in my new Slayer Propel kayak before the colder weather and ice cover set in. I was about to launch from the Tucker St ramp when another kayak angler from PA drove up. He had seen my posts on snaggedline and wanted to get some information about fishing in the Severn, so we talked for a while. I ended up launching about 11:20.

015.jpg 016.jpg

The Slayer Propel seat sits on top of the hull. I sat nearly a foot higher than I do in my Manta Ray. The Slayer is wide with a lot of space for storing things in a front and rear area. With the elevated seat, I slid a large tackle tray and my water bottle under my seat. About the time I launched, the wind picked up a bit. I could pedal easily into the wind at a good speed, but found that I needed a lot of practice is steering with the rudder lever. I tended to overcorrect in one direction, then overcorrect back again. The steering improved with practice.

002.jpg 003.jpg 018.jpg

I rode out to the river then headed upstream to the Cove of Cork. I pedaled into a 1-ft chop without any trouble. Once inside the Cove of Cork, I began casting live minnows on jigheads. I soon caught my first fish on the new kayak -- a 21.5" pickerel.

020.jpg

I found no other pickerel in that tributary. I headed back into Weems and worked some stretches of shoreline that have held pickerel on previous winters. I focused on depths of 3-6 ft. I managed three more pickerel in Weems. One of them was only 16" to 17", but the other two were large fish at 22.25" and 22.75". I met up again with the guy I had seen at the ramp. He told me that he had caught three pickerel in Weems too.

022.jpg 023.jpg

After pedaling for 3.5 hours (some fast, but mostly just repositioning), I was pleased that my legs were tired but not aching. I can see why the Hobie users are so enthusiastic about hands-free motion. I am really happy that the Slayer Propel has the ability to go backwards. I did not have to get out my paddle at all until the last 5 yds at the ramp. If I found myself drifting toward the shallows or an obstruction, I just pedaled backwards and adjusted the rudder lever appropriately.

Despite the high sitting position, the Slayer Propel was very stable. This is due to the tunnel hull design. It provides stability and creates a channel for the water pushed by the propeller to move backwards.

007.jpg 009.jpg

I wore white waterman's boots today. My foot slipped off the pedal several times. I am not sure how easily I will be able to pedal with chest waders and a heavy boot. I think the pedal drive will be easier to use when I am wearing my warm water footwear of old running shoes. I learned a lot about the Slayer Propel today. I now have some clearer ideas on how and where I will rig the rod holders and FF/GPS.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,

Congrats on a successful maiden run.

The reverse is a very nice feature, for sure. I also think the under-seat storage will be very handy.

Steering will come naturally and you won't even think about it after a while.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

In warm weather, I just pedal in my bare feet. The mariners propel drive have a wider throw so wearing sandals sometimes catches on the floor pads. I found the rudder difficult to use but sometimes leaning a little can really get the turn radius down.
      PigPen - Mt Airy
      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

REALLY looks nice John ........ congrats

Comment

Nice going on the maiden voyage. Having reverse is great when you have to back off of structure/debris/cover.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

John, the boat looks great, and the seating position looks comfortable.
            And it's good to hear about folks fishing, a vicarious thrill.
            But the weight would be a problem for us car toppers.
            It's weighs twice as much as my Old Town.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              But the weight would be a problem for us car toppers.
              It's weighs twice as much as my Old Town.

Stu - You are right about the weight. I am not looking forward to having to get it onto my roof racks. For any trips up to an hour, I slide my kayak in the back of my Honda Odyssey with the 2nd and 3rd row seats folded down, then tie it off. It is quick and easy. I do need to leave the front passenger side window half open to avoid sucking exhaust inside. That can get noisy and cold.

013.jpg 014.jpg
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good to hear how stable it is.

Comment

wading shoes with your stocking foot waders should solve the slip problem. Ictalrus always uses that setup on his revo
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Boat looks good. Glad the maiden voyage went well. How much does your boat weigh?

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioreno View Post
                      Boat looks good. Glad the maiden voyage went well. How much does your boat weigh?
                      The Native website says it weighs 101 lbs. It does not feel that heavy. The Propel unit can be removed in a few seconds to lighten the load.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

I use neoprene dive booties. I find regular wading boots too big and clumsy.

Comment

Great job John. Your new kayak would be perfect for my style of fishing at Triadelphia and Rocky Gorge Reservoirs.

It worries me that guys are coming all the way from PA just to fish Weems for pickerel....what's up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                            Great job John. Your new kayak would be perfect for my style of fishing at Triadelphia and Rocky Gorge Reservoirs.

It worries me that guys are coming all the way from PA just to fish Weems for pickerel....what's up with that?
                            LOL -- He dropped his daughter off at BWI and decided to fish in an area he had read about. He is a lurker on this board -- perhaps he will start posting after this.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

Congrats John! I expect even more pickerel from you this year now that you have your hands free.
                              Mike S.
                              Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                              X