Maiden voyage on new kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    The Native website says it weighs 101 lbs.
    Wow.
    I would have never guessed. Still looks like an awesome boat. Looks like it stays pretty dry too.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

John - I was waiting for this review of your first trip with your new ride. Sounds like it's working out well for you.

I noticed that when I mount a trolling motor to the side of my canoe that the presents of the trolling motor adds a perceptible degree of stability to the canoe. Seems like the trolling motor acts like a mini-centerboard. Maybe you get the same benefit from the propel system. I also noticed in the pics that the kayak also has a small rigid skeg that the rudder attaches to. I bet that skeg adds to the stability as well.
      Last edited by HJS; 12-31-2013, 11:39 AM.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Congratulations John on your maiden voyage! Looks like a lean mean pickerel machine
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          LOL -- He dropped his daughter off at BWI and decided to fish in an area he had read about. He is a lurker on this board -- perhaps he will start posting after this.
          I am the guy from PA and I just now joined this wonderful site, although most of the year I stay above the Mason Dixon Line so may not post much.

I lifted Johns boat and would agree it felt way liter than 101. Maybe I am stronger than I thought.

As to why I ventured into MD…well everyone knows there are NO fish in PA (so don’t ever come here) and guess I have more money (for gas) than brains. Actually I have licenses for a variety of states and try to get around since I like species variety and am ADDICTED so in winter am like a caged animal checking the weather and water temps every hour to see where/when there is a chance to fish without icy guides. We don’t have saltwater close by so must travel for that; we do have pickerel but usually skim ice as well. I roam PA mostly but in summer head to the Rockies and in winter go to FL, MD & VA cause the few degrees difference is huge. Moreover, my kids all live in MD and wife is from Bowie so I pass by often. I also fly fished the Gunpowder for trout on way home but got skunked (wade fished, no kayak). So watch out boys cause I will be back at least until March when PA heats up.
          Ed V. 2007 Hobie Revo-13

Comment

Ed - Do you live anywhere near the Susquehanna River? I've been doing well there for smallmouth the past 2 years fishing exclusively during summer/fall low flow periods.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
              Ed - Do you live anywhere near the Susquehanna River?
              I am like 1 of the rocks in the river as am there every day. Live 5 minutes away and explore just about every tributary from Harrisburg to Sunbury. Started kayak fishing Susky in 1976 when I bought my 1st yak for $15. I used to only fish low water which was the norm before 2002 but since then river levels seem to swing wildy often with prolonged high water so I have gotten used to fishing hi water in recent years and while not ideal is not as bad as i used to think, unless its pure chocolate milk colored.
              Ed V. 2007 Hobie Revo-13

Comment

Working...
              X