No announcement yet.

Looking into getting into kayak fishing and I have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your service and welcome to the addiction! You should be fine starting out with the rods and reels you have. Transportation may play into your boat decision as well. Car top vs truck. You should be able to find something decent for $700. Keep an eye on the classifieds on this site as well. Maybe post a "want to buy".

In regards to spots, Jonas Green is a nice launch and easy to get to. It is right across from the Naval Academy on the Severn.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Welcome, Kat, and thank you for your service. Ex-Air Force myself.

I am kinda new to this too, so after reading someone's post about books to read I went out and bought two books about fishing on the Chesapeake that have changed the game of fishing for me in the most positive way. One is called Chesapeake Light Tackle by Shawn Kimbro and the other is Rudow's Guide to Fishing the Chesapeake by Lenny Rudow. They are fun to read, will tell you what to use to fish, where to fish, and how to fish around the Chesapeake/DC area. Here is a link to Mr. Kimbro's site - http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com/
      I would have to agree with the comments about the Bass Pro kayaks, although I met a young man whom works at the store and he got a big discount on the big fishing kayak (like the Hobie) and he liked it. But he was tiny. I've had a few kayaks, but not fishing ones. In my opinion, the fishing kayaks offer the stability one needs with all the gear and tisting around.
      Good luck with your purchase and safe fishing!
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE;77420

If you can spend just a little more than $700, you can probably get a Ride 135, Ocean Kayak Prowler, Trident or other nice non-store brand yak.
        Here is a Ride 135 with high seat package for $800 shipped:
        [url
        http://www.sierratradingpost.com/wilderness-systems-ride-135-touring-kayak-high-seat-135-~p~6703v/?filterString=kayaks-and-canoes~d~122%2F&colorFamily=02[/url]
        Wow! Then they have a additional 20% off now. So, that Ride 135 is actually less then 700. I'd jump on that......
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

The 20% discount doesn't apply to boats....
          Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
          Wow! Then they have a additional 20% off now. So, that Ride 135 is actually less then 700. I'd jump on that......

Comment

Originally posted by hooked again View Post
            The 20% discount doesn't apply to boats....
            Bummer. It's always the fine print that spoils these deals.....

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I would look at some lightly used boats. There's almost alwways a yak or two on the board here, Try craigslist too. Theres some really good yaks that you could get that just aren't new. I'm sure you should land something nice in that price range.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
              X