No announcement yet.

May meet and greet Upper potomac river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water levels could be iffy for Meet and Greet. We'll see. Now that trees are leafed out and sucking water the water should come down pretty quickly. How about a tidal or non-flowing backup meet and greet in case the Upper P gets blown out?
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
      Water levels could be iffy for Meet and Greet. We'll see. Now that trees are leafed out and sucking water the water should come down pretty quickly. How about a tidal or non-flowing backup meet and greet in case the Upper P gets blown out?
      Just looking at a map, the nearest location is Little Seneca Lake in Germantown. I haven't fished there but I think I remember you said it was pretty good.
      Mike
      Feelfree Lure 11.5
      Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

My worries have been the same with the weather.The little Seneca has been my backup but I have not fished it this year. People who have ,seem to have done OK ,tons of bass lots of structure underwater . It is about the same distance from my farm as the Potomac launch site. Rest of the plans could stay the same . I think by mid week we should have a good idea about the Potomac river levels .

To find my place for camping and or barbecue go to my clinic website monocacyequine.com and go to the contact find us page ,directions are accurate there, if you use a GPS it sends you the wrong way on mouth of monocacy road.

Boy, it is discouraging this weather for the meet and greets since January. Just even to find good weather when you have a day off to fish has been hard. Hopefully we will not be affected by the tornado weather that has hit the south ,so many homes and lives lost.
        Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
        Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by monocacykayak View Post
          My worries have been the same with the weather.The little Seneca has been my backup but I have not fished it this year. People who have ,seem to have done OK ,tons of bass lots of structure underwater . It is about the same distance from my farm as the Potomac launch site. Rest of the plans could stay the same . I think by mid week we should have a good idea about the Potomac river levels .

To find my place for camping and or barbecue go to my clinic website monocacyequine.com and go to the contact find us page ,directions are accurate there, if you use a GPS it sends you the wrong way on mouth of monocacy road.

Boy, it is discouraging this weather for the meet and greets since January. Just even to find good weather when you have a day off to fish has been hard. Hopefully we will not be affected by the tornado weather that has hit the south ,so many homes and lives lost.
          HA! I know where this is at. I've pass this place when I go to the Mouth of Monocacy Those are some pretty horses on that farm
          2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Little Seneca (aka Black Hills) is a good option for a backup. It will be clear. I haven't been out there yet this year. It's a good test of skill. Black Hills is all about structure fishing and using depth finders. Bass are occasionally on shorline wood, but most consistent /best results are submerged stumps and rockpiles / foundations that you need fish finders to see.
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Appalachian HOW Chapter has an event on the 10th at Cunningham Falls. I already said I would help with this and forgot the date. I won't make the M&G period.
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                Its hard to say right now. Harper's Ferry (just upstream from Brunswick) is posting a stage of 4.38 feet. While down at the take-out, Point of Rocks, they're showing a level of 3.7 feet... but they are forecasting for up to 18 feet by Friday.

Harper's Ferry stage gage - http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lwx&gage=HFEW2
                Point of Rocks stage gage - http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lwx&gage=porm2

Just have to hope for the best and check these links this time next week.
                Glad to see the forecast for POR has been scaled back considerably, cresting at 10' instead of 25'. Lets hope the rain stays away!
                Mike
                Feelfree Lure 11.5
                Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

10 day forecast for what it's worth states no rain for the next 10 days.

Comment

I am unknown around here but worked with medicyaker. I'd love to tag along and learn.

I will be able to haul a few kayaks in my truck as well as bring some venison, and a smoker if there is interest, for the BBQ. Work permitting.
                    Last edited by Fisch.Betrunken; 05-02-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking the likelihood of having good conditions on the upper Potomac next Saturday is not going to happen .We checked all ramps and water is on or above the danger leval zones.
                      We have two options ,one to fish Little Seneca lake in Boyds instead or bump the m+g to the next weekend and hope for better conditions. That gives the river 2 weeks to normalize providing no more heavy rains.
                      The Jamaica bay tournament is also that weekend.I'm leaving it up to you guys to choose .Please respond.Rich.
                      Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
                      Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

I'll be fishing on the 10th either way since I've got it on the calendar. I'm up for Little Seneca since I've never been there and it seems like a place where some tips from people who fish it would be really helpful. If you move the meet and greet to the following week I'll do that too. No reason not to fish both days!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
                        Mike
                        Feelfree Lure 11.5
                        Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

if we end up fishing black rock, im fine with that too. just fish all the wood and rock with a worm or craw fish type bait and you'll catch fish drop shot works great too. i like to drop shot the standing timber with a light 1/16-1/8oz weight 12-14" below a worm so it keeps a steady slow fall parallel with the wood till the desired depth or till the bottom. i usually pick up alot of fish that way on the initial drop.
                          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                          -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I was really looking forward to the float trip. I vote for a 1 week delay if you think it will be too high.

But I would keep an eye on it. They're predicting it will be down to 5 feet at POR by Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by monocacykayak View Post
                              I'm thinking the likelihood of having good conditions on the upper Potomac next Saturday is not going to happen .We checked all ramps and water is on or above the danger leval zones.
                              We have two options ,one to fish Little Seneca lake in Boyds instead or bump the m+g to the next weekend and hope for better conditions. That gives the river 2 weeks to normalize providing no more heavy rains.
                              The Jamaica bay tournament is also that weekend.I'm leaving it up to you guys to choose .Please respond.Rich.
                              I'll defer to your knowledge of the river. The following week sounds like a good plan and I will be there if it happens.

Comment

The following week sound good.
                                2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                                X