No announcement yet.

May meet and greet Upper potomac river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to have great success with the Rebel Crayfish crankbait on the Potomac at Edward's Ferry.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
      Its hard to say right now. Harper's Ferry (just upstream from Brunswick) is posting a stage of 4.38 feet. While down at the take-out, Point of Rocks, they're showing a level of 3.7 feet... but they are forecasting for up to 18 feet by Friday.

Harper's Ferry stage gage - http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lwx&gage=HFEW2
      Point of Rocks stage gage - http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lwx&gage=porm2

Just have to hope for the best and check these links this time next week.
      Buzz - just curious what's the ideal number we are looking at <4 feet?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
        Buzz - just curious what's the ideal number we are looking at <4 feet?
        Good question. I have both waded and fished from a canoe up that way. From my recollection, the river runs in the range of 3-6 feet from Brunswick to Point of Rocks. But its been years since I've fished that area.

I'm onboard with whatever monocacykayak says is safe and fishable.
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
          Good question. I have both waded and fished from a canoe up that way. From my recollection, the river runs in the range of 3-6 feet from Brunswick to Point of Rocks. But its been years since I've fished that area.

I'm onboard with whatever monocacykayak says is safe and fishable.
          I would say under 4 is good. Over 5 is no way. 4 is risky..
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

If everything stays on track My buddy Dave and I are in for Saturday. I will most likely not be able to head up Friday night. What time are you all meeting in Brunswick? Weather is looking good.

Comment

We will meet at sunup until about 8 . I am going to check water levels today and have a report, tommorow afternoon will be the cutoff to decide if we go on Saturday . We want it to be safe and fun to fish especially for the first timers on the river. Rich
              Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
              Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

NOAA currently predicts the gauge at Point of Rocks to be 4.6 to 4.5 on Saturday.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Hi Dave , 4.5 to 4.6 is still a good flow . Ken Penrod who is a river guide we know says best flows are 3 or below for easy fishing , 4 feet + is harder to fish but can be done as long as you are a skilled boater and pay attention to your surroundings . River newbies need to make sure they float downriver with someone who has floated the river before.

When we have done it in this type of flow,your boat moves faster downriver and you have to be constantly alert for submerged rocks. Anchoring or a drag chain requires a good anchor trolley and a bit of caution setting up in more sheltered areas. There are a bunch of ledges that are in the direction of riverflow just below lander that hold lots of fish if you can slow yourself down a bit . In the faster water you are going to be more prone to bottom snags.

Lures to use would be green and white tubes rigged as jigs or in Carolina style,any crayfish imitations ,zipperworms shad like plastics.

I was lucky enough to get out late this afternoon on the river, it looks like it still is coming down.

There will be a power boat out there that can act as a mothership to help someone out if needed if we decide to go. There was a substantial amount of rain across the region today ,things are looking better but tommorow at 4 a final check will be made.More later .Rich
                  Last edited by monocacykayak; 05-07-2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Also Dave were you considering coming

Comment

I saw earlier in the thread that you were considering Black Hills Lake in Mont. Cnty as an alternate. Several associates of mine held a small tourney there this past weekend (15 boats) and several limits were caught. Of course, a few others boats blanked...but they all came home. :-)
                      Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Sorry but due too the river flows and my inability to paddle for long periods without sustaining back pain forced my hand. I'm gonna have too bail on saturday. Good luck and y'all be safe. I want so bad to fish this stretch but maybe another day. Im gonna hit mattawoman for snakeheads...
                        Tom Brown
                        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                        2012 Hobie PA 14'
                        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

4 o'clock tommorow a final decision will be made to go or cancel until next Saturday the 17 th .

But if it does go I have ,cowpokey, runnin, buzz, jaspratt,,donv, mike.wfauby,Johnk, berto, wshrack, daolai,chex, Frisch.betrunken,moken, yakdiesel, Brian and friend, for fishing and probably BBQ

For camping looks like cowpokey,jaspratt,wfauby, and moken

If there are others please tell me.

Comment

That is 4 o'clock on thursday

Comment

meet and greet upper potomac postponed until next sat may 17th

I was hoping the water levels would reach 4 ft or less at point of rocks by Saturday no such luck they are still at 4.5 . I visited the river yesterday and had some hope but this am I spoke with Ken Penrod the premier upper Potomac small mouth guide and he suggested we wait a week. Ken has written a book on fishing the upper Potomac and he knows this water better than any of us locals . He feels it will be hard fishing and having a relaxed day in a kayak .He said it was even hard getting a good drift this am in a power boat .

I know we discussed fishing elsewhere but I received a bunch of private mails wanting to stick with the Potomac.

The bass should be biting so just tell me who can come next week all other arrangements will remain the same .
                              It has been a frustrating year for meet and greets with half being bumped because of weather. Thanks Rich

Comment

I'm glad it's pushed off a week, I was going to bail with the current water conditions. Hopefully it will be much better next weekend.

Originally posted by monocacykayak View Post
                                blah, blah, blah...he knows this water better than any of us locos.
                                FIFY.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X